new s7 slim

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
I really don't think the HTC and the S7 are in the same sort of price range, although that is a bit disconcerting of a development. I really hope one major retailer or another ends up picking up the device, I hate ebay dealers ><

I'm rooting for the S7 slim to be included.....but how would BestBuy look trying to put the 2.2 Slim with 3g for $300 against the 2.3 Flyer wifi only for around $500 (guessing). The Flyer will have a higher res screen and a more widely accepted Android skin so maybe they are truly in different categories.....but how many BestBuy exclusive tablets will BB carry?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Not to mention the wifi version of the Galaxy Tab will be out this month, I believe for $399, and assuming BB carries that as well I fear Huawei may not make the cut. Probably depends on how well the current s7 has sold for them. The fact that it is 3g is not going to be a factor as just last week I was in a local BB and they still insisted the model they sell does not have 3g or even a sim slot. I showed the sales guy and he actually stated to me "that's just the display model." I had him pull a box and showed him 3g was a feature on the front of it. He said it was a mistake, their models definitely do not have 3g. So I decided to try one more time and asked him why they were selling in in the phone dept and he just walked away and actually left the area. Keep in mind I was being very civil about the whole thing. I'm sure BB has some bright and dedicated employees but this guy was dense.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
By the way, BestBuy is now also carrying the BlackBerry PlayBook from $499. I fear we will have to find another source for the S7 Slim, unless, once again, the original S7 sold very well.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
By the way, BestBuy is now also carrying the BlackBerry PlayBook from $499. I fear we will have to find another source for the S7 Slim, unless, once again, the original S7 sold very well.

Oh well, might be a chance to pick up the original S7 really cheap on clearance although I am wishing it was slimmer and had a higher capacity battery. The resistive screen is a bonus for me since the more I try to use capacitive screens, the more I hate them, so I am not likely to get excited about the new Slim.

I am seeing S7's on CraigsList around $200 now, so they would have to be marking them down to around that level to get my interest.

tuffigirl

Dec 17, 2010
I thought the metal bar was a kickstand but I was wrong.... here is a video I found that shows someone try to move the metal bar and he's told there is no kickstand. Disappointing but not a deal breaker for me anyway.

kevmueller said:
HDMI out - I noticed the slim version has an HDMI out port, which is a big plus for the newer model.

You do realize that the S7 we have now also has an HDMI out port?

Last edited by a moderator:

dajack761

Dec 8, 2010
The metal bar IS the kickstand... I saw a video of it a couple of months ago and if I can find it again I'll post it... it was at some electronics show. The camera is not built in... it's just a hole in the bar. The video had also previewed the dock that I'm still waiting for. Like I said if I can find it I'll post it.

You do realize that the S7 we have now also has an HDMI out port?

Tuffigirl, Have you located the cable to connect to the HDMI out port?

me4tux

Nov 24, 2010
Is the S7 slim available for purchase yet? Even if it is outside of North America?
I could have sworn I saw one post that mentioned it was for sale but it could simply be just spam...

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Is the S7 slim available for purchase yet? Even if it is outside of North America?
I could have sworn I saw one post that mentioned it was for sale but it could simply be just spam...

I saw a post here too about a Slim in Kenya but the picture just looked like our same S7 to me.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Here is the Slim's product page: IDEOS S7 Silm - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Compared to the S7 I do not see a GPS listed for it either. Considering it has phone capabilities like the S7 I would assume it would have GPS for legal purposes alone. Here in the US all phones must be e-911 capable. That includes identifying relative location:

A second phase of Enhanced 911 service is to allow a wireless or mobile telephone to be located.
To locate a mobile telephone geographically, there are two general approaches. One is to use some form of radiolocation from the cellular network; the other is to use a Global Positioning System receiver built into the phone itself. Both approaches are described by the Radio resource location services protocol (LCS protocol).

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I think a lot of phones use sGPS which may be what they refer to as radiolocation. I know many phones use this, and I remember using my brothers phone to find directions to a soccer field and it insisted our current position was in the middle of the Columbia river in Washington State. I live in the Pacific Northwest and though it is difficult not to be near one river or another I rarely drive through them.

Tom

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Simultaneous GPS or S-GPS is a method to enhance a mobile phone's satellite-based position reporting ability to a carrier.
Ordinarily, a built-in GPS device is used to determine the location of an E911 call made from CDMA phones. By using a time-multiplexed scheme called TM-GPS, the reception of the telephone call and the GPS signal are alternated one after the other, requiring only one RF radio.
As the name implies, Simultaneous GPS allows a cellphone to receive both GPS and voice data at the same time, which improves sensitivity and allows service providers to offer location-based services.

As you can see, sGPS as you call it, still uses satalite based GPS tracking but also uses other forms of radiolocation. Radiolocation is an older from and not very accurate. This is probably what you had. I doubt the Slim will utilise radiolocation only.

Radiolocation is also used in cellular telephony via base stations. Most often, this is done through trilateration between radio towers. The location of the Caller or handset can be determined several ways:
  • angle of arrival (AOA) requires at least two towers, locating the caller at the point where the lines along the angles from each tower intersect
  • time difference of arrival (TDOA) resp. time of arrival (TOA) works using multilateration, except that it is the networks that determine the time difference and therefore distance from each tower (as with seismometers)
  • location signature uses "fingerprinting" to store and recall patterns (such as multipath) which mobile phone signals are known to exhibit at different locations in each cell

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Makes sense, but then you would have to infer that GPS is a given and no longer qualifies as a feature. Possibly the s7 has a dedicated GPS chip whereas the Slim may have the same kind of integrated chip that many cell phones seem to use? It's interesting...I knnow my Archos 5 IT is supposed to have a dedicated GPS chip, but it obviously isn't a phone so probably doesn't relate.