New to the forum (sorta), future Nook Color owner, I have a couple questions

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
Hi, my name is Patrick and I currently own a rooted Droid 2. I am a member of droidforums.net which is androidtablets.net sister site. Ever since I got my first android phone, the Droid 1 back in November of 2009 (also when I joined droidforums), I have absolutely loved Android as an OS. I initially rooted my Droid 1 to gain features such as pinch to zoom on the browser and just a smoother interface but now I can't imagine not being able to tinker with my phone/gadgets. Making the jump from Droid 1 to Droid 2 was pretty easy other than having to get used to a few minor differences related to clockwork (such as having to mount system among other things) and the locked bootloader. Now, I am looking for a good tablet. I don't have any interest in the $700+ tablets such as the xoom even though the xoom looks awesome (just a little too expensive for what I would be using it for). I honestly just want something to play with. After doing some research, I have found that the nook color is the best Android tablet out right now especially for the price (capactive touch screen, great omap processor, etc.). The specs are awesome and are honestly pretty similar to my Droid 2 (processor, ram, etc). I have no interest in having an e-reader, thus if I don't root/rom my nook color I won't ever use it. This leads to a couple questions I have. Is the NC completely unlocked in terms of the bootloader? Will the developing community continue to work with the NC or will it be obsolete soon? I don't expect anyone to obviously be able to read the future I'm just having a hard time figuring out if the NC developing community will last after the dual core processor tablets start to come out. If you have any suggestions for other great tablets to look for feel free to let me know. I'm pretty set on the NC though, as it seems to be the best all around package. Thanks!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Is the NC completely unlocked in terms of the bootloader? Will the developing community continue to work with the NC or will it be obsolete soon? I don't expect anyone to obviously be able to read the future I'm just having a hard time figuring out if the NC developing community will last after the dual core processor tablets start to come out. If you have any suggestions for other great tablets to look for feel free to let me know. I'm pretty set on the NC though, as it seems to be the best all around package. Thanks!
Hey Patrick, I'm right there with 'ya...count me a happy D1 owner! :)

(1) Locked bootloader? Not that I know of. Recent development includes installing ClockworkMod Recovery on the rooted Nook, which allows you to boot into recovery mode.

(2) Dev community -> obsolete? That's anybody's guess. I'd have to say "no" based on two events: (a) progress in getting Gingerbread on the Nook, and (b) progress in getting Honeycomb on the Nook. Both those (in addition to the CPU and 512MB RAM) tell me that we're good for another 12 months minimum. But it's my guess.

(3) Other great tablets? The obvious answer (this IS the Nook subforum, after all) is "not for $250"! ;)

Hey, do you use the same screen name at droidforums?

Hope you enjoy yourself here. This place has got a pretty positive vibe.

-Matt

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
Yep, I use the same name. I've been over at df since november of 2009 and now I have to say that I check the site 10 to 20 times a day...I know a little obsessive. The good thing is that now I've got somewhere new to check incessantly :). I look forward to getting my nook color in a couple weeks and rooting it the second I get it. I have a few questions about the rooting process pertaining to the NC written down that ill post soon enough that hopefully somebody can help me get answered. Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
Sorry for the insane amount of questions there were just a couple things I was confused about. I'd love for this to be stickied to help out others, but I'm not exactly sure if people even have similar questions.

What do I need for root:
-Does the nook color come with an SD card?
-Is Class 6 8gb okay?
-My mac doesnt have a memory card slot. Do I need a memory card reader?
-Could I use my Droid 2 as a card reader if hooked up to my mac via usb?
-Assuming my NC comes with 1.1, is it better to revert to 1.0 or 1.0.1? Does it matter?
-What is sideloading?
-Is clockworkmod recovery working and stable yet?
-What roms are out right now?
-nookie froyo?
-nook color rom v1.1.0?
-Are there any stable froyo roms?
-Is Android 2.1 what comes installed on the nook color? (Obviously with the nook launcher, ereader software and without gapps)
-Is auto-nooting possible with a mac?
-Is auto-rooting just the actual root process in the auto-nooting process?

Once again I apologize for so many questions. I know first hand how annoying it is to answer these kind of questions repeatedly but I did search the forum as well as other forums and these questions were the ones I was left a little hazy on. Thanks again!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry for the insane amount of questions there were just a couple things I was confused about. I'd love for this to be stickied to help out others, but I'm not exactly sure if people even have similar questions.

What do I need for root:
-Does the nook color come with an SD card? No
-Is Class 6 8gb okay? Yes
-My mac doesnt have a memory card slot. Do I need a memory card reader? Yes
-Could I use my Droid 2 as a card reader? It is possible if you can write to it as a drive but not recommened
-Assuming my NC comes with 1.1, is it better to revert to 1.0 or 1.0.1? Does it matter? Doubtful any are shipping with 1.1. At the moment my opinion is 1.01 is the best at this point. Improvements over 1.0 with out the unresolved issues of 1.1
-What is sideloading? Installing apps from the memory card instead of downloading from the market directly trought nook. (downloading from computer, placing on sd and then installing)
-Is clockworkmod recovery working and stable yet? Yes
-What roms are out right now? these should be listed in Nook technical sticky for clockwork mod.
-nookie froyo? Not stable
-nook color rom v1.1.0?
-Are there any stable froyo roms? see above (to my knowledge anyway)
-Is Android 2.1 what comes installed on the nook color? (Obviously with the nook launcher, ereader software and without gapps) Yes
-Is auto-nooting possible with a mac? Yes
-Is auto-rooting just the actual root process in the auto-nooting process? yes, the actuall rooting script (I think that is what you are asking)

Once again I apologize for so many questions. I know first hand how annoying it is to answer these kind of questions repeatedly but I did search the forum as well as other forums and these questions were the ones I was left a little hazy on. Thanks again!

I am far from an expert but I'll take a shot. Then the pros can fillin the blanks.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Oh, and by the way welcome. I don't think you will have any problems with your android background. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What do I need for root:
-Does the nook color come with an SD card? No
-Is Class 6 8gb okay? Yes
-My mac doesnt have a memory card slot. Do I need a memory card reader? Yes
-Could I use my Droid 2 as a card reader? It is possible if you can write to it as a drive but not recommened
-Assuming my NC comes with 1.1, is it better to revert to 1.0 or 1.0.1? Does it matter? Doubtful any are shipping with 1.1. At the moment my opinion is 1.01 is the best at this point. Improvements over 1.0 with out the unresolved issues of 1.1
-What is sideloading? Installing apps from the memory card instead of downloading from the market directly trought nook. (downloading from computer, placing on sd and then installing)
-Is clockworkmod recovery working and stable yet? Yes
-What roms are out right now? these should be listed in Nook technical sticky for clockwork mod.
-nookie froyo? Not stable
-nook color rom v1.1.0?
-Are there any stable froyo roms? see above (to my knowledge anyway)
-Is Android 2.1 what comes installed on the nook color? (Obviously with the nook launcher, ereader software and without gapps) Yes
-Is auto-nooting possible with a mac? Yes
-Is auto-rooting just the actual root process in the auto-nooting process? yes, the actuall rooting script (I think that is what you are asking)

Superb job! A+

There is a rooted version of 1.1.0 ([ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers), but it's so early in the game I would wait a few weeks and see if an autonooter or other similar process is available.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
May I know why ? Isn't pre rooted 1.1 good ?
You haven't seen Vic's thread about Appbrain and Fast Web Installer? ;) I think 1.1 is good, but it seems to bring some things with it (like an updated Market) that is not what some people want. At this point the fixes/improvements aren't enough for me (personally) to move up from 1.0.1. I also think for many users it's a seamless step up...I'd just prefer to wait a while cuz "it ain't broke yet." :)

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
May I know why ? Isn't pre rooted 1.1 good ?

Yes the pre-rooted r2 rom is outstanding and has no issues I know of. Be sure to make a full backup with ClockworkMod Recovery before flashing. See "Nook Color Technical" section for more info.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yes the pre-rooted r2 rom is outstanding and has no issues I know of. Be sure to make a full backup with ClockworkMod Recovery before flashing. See "Nook Color Technical" section for more info.

I wouldn't say NO issues Rico...there are certain apps that no longer work as they did under the the auto-noot 1.0.1...our own forum app for one instance.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't say NO issues Rico...there are certain apps that no longer work as they did under the the auto-noot 1.0.1...our own forum app for one instance.

Guess I should rephrase, there are no issues for me and all my 130+ apps work. (other users experiences may vary) :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
In reality, the Dev that made the ROM included the updated market (which was nice ,but I don't understand...by that point people should already have a market on their rooted device) and its the updated market that stopped appbrain from working like it should. I don't know what it was that broke the forum app because using tapatalk pro worked just fine...

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Guess I should rephrase, there are no issues for me and all my 130+ apps work. (other users experiences may vary) :)
I love Rico and I sometimes think we make an excellent "old married couple." I worry like an old hen--"the sky is falling, the sky is falling"--and he calms, soothes, and reassures.

[speech]
Excuse the "soapbox moment" but I am a big fan of diversity and without multiple perspectives and viewpoints, you end up with stagnation and closed-minded thinking. I also don't think it's a cliche that "reasonable people will sometimes disagree." I see it happen a lot and I think it's a vital part of learning and exchanging ideas, especially on a public forum! The hard part for me is listening when I disagree, and staying polite and respectful. :eek:
[/speech]

Peace!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
In reality, the Dev that made the ROM included the updated market (which was nice ,but I don't understand...by that point people should already have a market on their rooted device) and its the updated market that stopped appbrain from working like it should. I don't know what it was that broke the forum app because using tapatalk pro worked just fine...

Right, really the ROM only needed root and the execution files to be flashed from CWR. But all things considered, from observing here and xda, issues are random and across the board, from noot02 to auto-nooter 1.0 and 1.0.1. It’s all custom stuff, created by us users, fans, and devs, which sometimes make mistakes in the code. Thank goodness for revisions. :)