Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 freezing at lock screen

alexblaine

Jun 2, 2011
I have my NC flashed with Nookie Froyo 0.6.8 and i have everything working perfectly except sometimes when the screen shuts off (either locking or sleeping), it won't wake back up and I have to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to kill it and then power it back up. I'm not unreasonable, I can deal with that once or twice a day. My problem is that it happens a good 30-60 times a day. I've searched for hours for an answer and the only thing I've found is someone saying just power it down and back up.

If I can't fix that problem, I want to go check other ROMs to see if I can find one that's more suited to my needs that's fully stable (all I really need is a good PDF reader-I'm using ezPDF and Repligo, Dolphin web browser, other ebook readers, and email), however since this is the 4th I've tried so far and the only one that works acceptably (when it doesn't lock up), I'd like to make a full backup of it so I can restore the image if I don't find a better ROM (hell, I might end up reverting to the Nook's default OS-it does everything I need). The best utility to do this that I've found is Nandroid. If anyone has a better recommendation, let me know, but that's not really that important. The first issue is what is killing me.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well I can tell you the problem is NookieFroyo. At this point that ROM is very, very old and was never stable to begin with. Why don't you try upgrading to CM7, Phiremod or Ultiamte Droid if you want a custom ROM. The Nook itself is now running Froyo (B&N 1.2) and you can root it to have stock B&N functions plus all the Froyo stuff.

I reccommend one of the custom ROMs listed for having a nice tablet experience and if you want bluetooth. If you just want a reader for the web, pdfs and books the B&N 1.2 manual nooter to root the nook is a good option. Any and all of these options are better than the NookieFroyo you are using, so pick one and enjoy.

JP

alexblaine

Jun 2, 2011
Thanks JP. While I was loving Nookie Froyo and wanted it to work so I could stay on it, I tried Phiremod and have been loving it. A B&N rep recently showed me how I could have added every bit of functionality I wanted to the stock ROM (download ezPDF from the Nook market), so we'll see what I end up doing. I just bought 3 uSD cards, so I can swap different ROMs out for testing. I really want Honeycomb to be stable, as I want a ROM that lets me place icons on my home screen more than 17 inches apart (exaggerated obviously), but the current Phiremod is working beeeeeeeauuutifully on my Nook, not even OCd.

I see from your sig that your Nook is OC'd to 1100MHz-i have several utilities to do that on my Nook, but haven't thought it was necessary, and I like the extended battery life. If I wanted to test out the OC feature, which utility do you recommend? Whenever I tried to OC it just for testing purposes, I could never tell if it was actually OC'd or not.

Thanks
-Alex