Official 2.2 Release for S7 from Huawei - Update? Status = 'Released in Indonesia'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
I know this is my first post, but i purchased a s7 tablet after reading all the reviews. I was happy with it as long as the 2.2 update was coming out. I just contacted customer support to ask about when the update was going to be rolling out. To my surprise the tech rep that i talked to notified me that the update was now pushed back to the 3rd quarter, which means by september. I am going to be returning my tablet and swapping to something that has support.

Until I hear it officially from Huawei, I don't believe a word customer support says. They are not privy to the release dates as I was told. The Slim is being released in April and it's hardware is TOO similar for the 2.2 to not work on these units. I doubt it will be difficult to get it working even if there were road blocks.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Like most people I am looking forward to 2.2, although most the benefits have been implemented on 2.1 on the S7, at least those that are the most important to me. Either way I'm keeping my S7 as I'm probably one of the few that likes the resistive screen, it gives me the ability to take handwritten notes and recognition as well as draw and do a little photo retouching. I've used a capacitive stylus and it isn't pretty. Maybe the HTC Flyer will be an option for me when it comes out, I'll have to wait and see.
Tom

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Until I hear it officially from Huawei, I don't believe a word customer support says. They are not privy to the release dates as I was told. The Slim is being released in April and it's hardware is TOO similar for the 2.2 to not work on these units. I doubt it will be difficult to get it working even if there were road blocks.

I have no doubt that manufacturers delay updates to a previous line in order to make their new products seem more appealing. It wouldn't surprise me if Huawei did that, but it would be a little disappointing and would make he hesitant to buy from them in the future.

MW97

Mar 22, 2011
Just downloaded what I think is the 2.2 Froyo release. However I am at a loss as to how to install it. Could anyone give any advice on installing.

Thank you

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
Just downloaded what I think is the 2.2 Froyo release. However I am at a loss as to how to install it. Could anyone give any advice on installing.

Thank you

Uh huh, what and where did you download this?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Huawei shows a 03/21 release of 2.2 kernel for the u8800 phone, nothing for the s7

JDubTrey

Feb 20, 2011
Nook Color is getting Flash (and therefore, probably 2.2) next month, according to the Home Shopping Network.

Should I have gotten a Nook? They were on sale for $200 at one point! :)

Come on, Huawei.......

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Nook Color is getting Flash (and therefore, probably 2.2) next month, according to the Home Shopping Network.

Should I have gotten a Nook? They were on sale for $200 at one point! :)

Come on, Huawei.......

No GPS, no Bluetooth, no cam = no Nook 4 me.

Sent from my SPH-P100

kevmueller

Dec 7, 2010
Wow, I am really having to keep up on the forums now. Hopefully any day my tablet will be getting Froyo and my phone should be getting an update to Gingerbread. Watch it will happen on the same day and I will not know which one to sit there and play with.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
haha nook already got honeycomb. who needs 2.2 if u got honeycomb. if only someone could port honeycomb to our s7's

Right now a couple of guys are working at getting a working 2.3.3 kernel working. They've solved some DRM portion and are now working on other hardware compatibility issues. Hopefully this might allow them to get a stable 3.0 kernel working in the future. The only thing the Nook has over us is a larger user base. This allows more people to work on it making the releases faster and smoother. If only the S7 were more popular than the Nook. BUT, the S7 is more feature rich so there are some values to consider when weighing them against each other.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
It was revealed yesterday that Google do not intend to open source honeycomb - at least not yet, so we are gonna have to wait

See theregister.co.uk

Pete, on the move...

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2011
Right now a couple of guys are working at getting a working 2.3.3 kernel working. They've solved some DRM portion and are now working on other hardware compatibility issues. Hopefully this might allow them to get a stable 3.0 kernel working in the future. The only thing the Nook has over us is a larger user base. This allows more people to work on it making the releases faster and smoother. If only the S7 were more popular than the Nook. BUT, the S7 is more feature rich so there are some values to consider when weighing them against each other.
thanks for the info. its sad that there isn't as big of a user base for the s7 which is a great tablet. i hope they do get a working kernel going before the s7 gets to old. do u mind posting a link of were the people working on the kernel are posting there progress? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.