One Click Root For All Archos Gen8 Dervices: Archangel

Did It Work For You

• Total voters

ArchosMike

Feb 14, 2011
A new one click root (permanent & temporary) for all Gen 8 tablets called achaangel has been released.

Please Ignore the message in the application when installed and in the quote below because all firmwares are supported 2.1.4, 2.1.3, 2.1.2 and so on

This was also posted on arctablet blog forums:Archangel One-click root on Archos 101,70,43,32 and 28 .

Original Post from XDA by Archaism1:
Download rar file with apk:

(DOWNLOAD HERE http://www.arctablet.com/assets/root/archaism-archangel/archangel-2.apk NOT FROM THE BELOW LINKS! No Password Needed!)

Dump.Ru - archaism-archangel-1.rar (DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM THIS LINK)
or
Deposit Files (DO NOT DOWNLOAD FROM THIS LINK)

rar password: cea69e0419

sha1sum of apk: 80ff2925e12b8d3f2e9c0cabd5b294e6556b2e3f

Archangel one-click-root from the Archaism Team

This will give you temporary or permanent root on your Archos 101 - firmware 2.0.71

Archos are kind enough to provide a SDE firmware which can allow root access,
but involves some significant changes to the system and they say that they will
invalidate your warranty if you install it. This is a bit frightening for new owners.

Archangel solves this with a painless one-click-root which you can uninstall at any time.
It does not use the SDE developer firmware.

This was specifically designed for the Archos 101 with firmware 2.0.71 - it may work on
other Archos devices or firmwares, but has not been tested and is not recommended for them.

If you find this application useful, please donate to those great forums who have given
the android root community so much. Encourage them to keep up their great work. We are
fans of C-Skills Blog, XDA Developers and Modaco Forum.

When installed, this app will use approx 10mb of storage space. Don't run it if you don't
have that much spare.

Usage Instructions:

1) Make sure you have 10mb of space available on the internal storage
2) Make sure you are connected on Wifi
3) Run the Archangel app
4) Click to install SuperUser application
5) Click to get root!
6) Check everything is working correctly, try an app which needs root
7) Once you have root you can tick the "Permanent" root option to always have root.
8) Party Hard!

To turn off root, either just reboot, or turn off permanent root and reboot if you had
enabled it.

To uninstall, just uninstall like any other app. You may also want to use the menu item
to clean up before you uninstall.

You can create a script in /sdcard/sdcard/extraroot.sh and this will be executed as root
whenver you reboot, so you can use this to do any additional root functions you want.

Enjoy!
XDA POST LINK : Archos 101 one-click-root for firmware 2.0.71 using Archangel - xda-developers

People Have made statements saying their may be a trojan in it but there has been no suspicious behaviour on my device. Permanent Works Great... Download titanium backup afterwards and press the problems button for a better busybox. If You want questions answered I reccomend referring to the vid or the xda/arctablet post. (XDA link above:))

Video Tutorial (HURRAY);) thx to Arctablet Forum!:

Sorry About The Links Thing, I Didnt want you to use the non-updated version :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I just literally tried it and I obtained root.

Did immediately the first things anyone needs to do on these things, used SetCPU to set the Clock actually to 1 Mhz, and used Autokiller to adjust the memory settings to give myself more free memory (forcing Android to keep as few things in the memory as possible, allowing for a smoother UI experience....NOT the same as auto-task killing). The last thing was a must on my OG Droid, it also only had 256 Megs RAM.

Now it runs like a dream.

Archos 70 250 GB on 2.0.71

bobybc

Feb 24, 2011
it seems that the root is not permanent
i have lost it during my WIFI connection tries (i have problems with WPA-EAP APs)
after som WIFI on/off i were able to obtain root again

CarsnGadgets

Dec 6, 2010
its a temp root solution with a check box in the app that can be ticked to automatically re-apply it on reboot, making it sort of permanent....

but, it does require wifi to be on and connected (but doesnt require you to have internet access) for it to work. Once you have temp root working ok, go back into the app and tick the apply on reboot box and re-click the button below, then it should work on reboot.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Since I have the Hard Drive version I'm not bothering with a swap file, but Autokiller seems to adjust Android's memory settings quite well. Using SetCPU to adjust the clock speed back up to 1 Ghz definitely helps.

Mar 25, 2011
Since I have the Hard Drive version I'm not bothering with a swap file, but Autokiller seems to adjust Android's memory settings quite well. Using SetCPU to adjust the clock speed back up to 1 Ghz definitely helps.

Just so you folks know, you dont have to root and use SetCPU to get the proccessor to run at 1ghz. All you have to do is go into settings>about device>power managment, and select Overdrive. It will set the device to run at 1ghz stock.

slopehead

Jan 14, 2011
A new one click root (permanent & temporary) for all Gen 8 tablets called achaangel has been released.

Please Ignore the message in the application when installed and in the quote below because all firmwares are supported 2.1.4, 2.1.3, 2.1.2 and so on

This was also posted on arctablet blog forums:Archangel One-click root on Archos 101,70,43,32 and 28 .

Original Post from XDA by Archaism1:
XDA POST LINK : Archos 101 one-click-root for firmware 2.0.71 using Archangel - xda-developers

People Have made statements saying their may be a trojan in it but there has been no suspicious behaviour on my device. Permanent Works Great... Download titanium backup afterwards and press the problems button for a better busybox. If You want questions answered I reccomend referring to the vid or the xda/arctablet post. (XDA link above:))

Video Tutorial (HURRAY);) thx to Arctablet Forum!:

Sorry About The Links Thing, I Didnt want you to use the non-updated version :eek:

------------------------------------------------------

Is there any root app that can handle the latest Gen8 firmware? My A43 was rooted with 2.3.20, but lost root on 2.3.26.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

slopehead

Jan 14, 2011
------------------------------------------------------

Is there any root app that can handle the latest Gen8 firmware? My A43 was rooted with 2.3.20, but lost root on 2.3.26.

Thanks!
------------------------------------
This is a "bump", as we still need an application, or an easy method to root Archos GEN8 devices with the latest 2.3.26 firmware.The current 'Archangel' app cannot tackle it.

Anybody with success?
Thanks

supaballz

Sep 7, 2011
hey I've done exactly as you've said word for word and I get to the part where it says "Obtain Root Now" which I pressed and it says "Please Wait" which I have now for about 45 minutes how long does this normally take ????I've got an archos 70 250gb I'm on firmware 2.4.19 (android 2.2.1) is this firmware ok to root I'm really new to this although I do have quite alot of experience in jailbreaking iPod/iphone/iPad using redsnow/greenpois0n which I find really easy but for some reason I just can't get my head around this please help I'm close on giving up and getting the iPad 2 but wanna stay with my archos because of the size of the hard drive many thanks :)

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Archangel doesn't work on the latest firmware. There are steps at XDA (perhaps I should post them) on obtaining root by using the developer firmware, though...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Archangel doesn't work on the latest firmware. There are steps at XDA (perhaps I should post them) on obtaining root by using the developer firmware, though...
The method described on the XDA Developers thread worked fine for me - it's a bit more complex, not a one touch tool.

But you get root, and it's been constantly updated. Right now, our Archos 101 has the latest 2.4.82 firmware, and I got the custom kernel and other files from that thread. Working like a charm.

Detailed instructions and links to all the tools and different firmware versions are provided in the original post in the thread. It's really Top Notch work, by chulri.

I have disabled Archos Firmware Update for now (removing the Daos.apk from it's default location at /system/apps/, moved it elsewhere as a backup) so I won't have to be redoing this willy-nilly.

The method described there can give you either a temporary or a permanent root.

Last edited: