Poor build quality? Many Nooks replaced several times?!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
You're absolutely right. I'm returning my second today. But BestBuy has been superb so far, so for the price I'm willing to be patient until I get a good one.

But the question is...why so many lemons? To be objective about it, I'd say it's a first generation device and without more information on failure-rates, we'd have to assume that the next will address many of these issues.

-Matt

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
In the summer I got my mom a nook. The e-ink with small touch screen. I set it up for her and liked it so much got myself one. The first one had a battery that just would not charge OOB. Went right back and they replaced the battery. Took it home and charged no problem. But when I started to use the touch screen to swipe turn pages, it had a grainy feel and was not as responsive as my mom's. I thought I was crazy till I compared the 2 screens. Brought it back and the CSR agreed with me and replaced it. That was several months after they were released, but these were the new wifi only ones. So yeah, quality control could be a problem. Check it out really good. Use all the bells and whistles to make sure you got a good one!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
With the third I plan to unbox and register in the store (wait...what about wifi?...hmmm). Anyway, the problems I have had so far are:

- one with a bulge under the USB port (difficult to plug in)
- one with 2 stuck pixels (not a deal breaker) AND a streak of light (malfunctioning LCD?)

Even #2 is an absolute joy to use. I'm actually a bit afraid that #3 will have a worse problem...maybe I should buy 3, then return 2!

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
This topic is blown out of proportion IMO. Same case can be and is made about any mobile device made in the last few years.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
This topic is blown out of proportion IMO. Same case can be and is made about any mobile device made in the last few years.
Agree and disagree. I've seen ridiculous threads elsewhere about outraged owners threatening lawsuits. All kinds of hand-waving and overreaction.

On the other hand, there's hard data. Some devices are well-built, and others have problems (RROD, anyone)? IMHO the NC was not rushed to market.

What will help address the question is sadly unobtainable: device failure rates. I'm sorry that manufacturers so aggressively protect those data...it's one thing I'd like to see regulated more, to protect consumers. Unfortunately what happens in a data vacuum is people speculate.

-Matt

buzzman

Dec 8, 2010
The only way to track defects is to share info via forums like this. That way people can compare notes and units. When you pay a lot of money for an electronic gadget, you want it to be perfect OOB. And a common defect is easier to check if you are aware of a possible problem.

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
It is hard to tell what the failure rate is - but the couple hundred or so forums is not a terrible statistical sample. If we put a "Poll" thread up with 2 questions:
1. How many new NookColors have you unboxed?
2. How many had a defect (not related to rooting and general mucking about)?

Not perfect (especially if the poll tends to disproportionately draw out those with defects).

Based on anecdotal examples, I think this gizmo has a larger-than-average defect issue. Though my nook was 100% perfect upon arrival and since then.

bugeyed

Jul 26, 2010
Obviously we don't have any long term data on the Nook Color reliability, but it will be interesting to watch. I have my 2nd replacement NC & it seems to be very solid. I have some experience with reliability engineering & there are basically 3 data points, Infant mortality, Long term & wear-out period. It's a bathtub curve. High infant failure rates, flat, low rates once they survive infancy, then a rising failure rate at some time when components age. I am actually relieved that a product fails early or is DOA. This is the best time for it to fail for me, as it is likely within the store exchange period & before you get it customized & loaded up with cool stuff. Just to reiterate, empirical data indicates that, if the product survives infancy (how long is that???), it should be problem free for a reasonable life span. All this, of course, is predicated on the product being of sound design, build quality & parts quality.

Cheers,
kev

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
From what I can see most problems reported are immediate faults when the device is opened.
This pool is not picture of failure rate.
This shows that the manufactures quality control is fairly poor.
Perhaps since Inventec doesn't have to put their name on it they don't care?!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Took the NC with the backlight issues back yesterday to BestBuy. I asked an assistant manager to take a look, and he grimly nodded when he saw it: a streak of bright light near the upper edge, almost an inch long.

I glibly asked, "Hey, so can I exchange it?"

"Sorry sir, but we sold our last on Friday."

"WHAT?!?!??!?!!?!"

I checked my local Walmarts. None. Not going to try B&N, after hearing some stories at xda about how they handled returns.

Oh noes. No Nook Color for a few days. How will I make it???

-Matt

josue9

Dec 29, 2010
Took the NC with the backlight issues back yesterday to BestBuy. I asked an assistant manager to take a look, and he grimly nodded when he saw it: a streak of bright light near the upper edge, almost an inch long.

I glibly asked, "Hey, so can I exchange it?"

"Sorry sir, but we sold our last on Friday."

"WHAT?!?!??!?!!?!"

I checked my local Walmarts. None. Not going to try B&N, after hearing some stories at xda about how they handled returns.

Oh noes. No Nook Color for a few days. How will I make it???

-Matt

Sorry about that, my wife is using the nookcolor that I gave her on christmas every day, around 6 hours per day (minimum), I know that if took her nook for some days she will be really upset! so I understand you.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Sorry about that, my wife is using the nookcolor that I gave her on christmas every day, around 6 hours per day (minimum), I know that if took her nook for some days she will be really upset! so I understand you.
You know, I debated mentioning how this would impact my sex-life. :( And I figured that nobody wanted to hear about it.

But now that you mention it, THIS SUCKS! (woops, probably not the best choice of words ;) )

-Matt

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
-Matt

To add to the informal survey - I have this also across the top edge - the entire left half.

I'm enjoying my NC, but still debating whether my NC is going back for good or not... I probably wouldn't return it just for the backlight.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
To add to the informal survey - I have this also across the top edge - the entire left half.

I'm enjoying my NC, but still debating whether my NC is going back for good or not... I probably wouldn't return it just for the backlight.
Damn, sorry to hear that.

I should clarify my description, in case anyone misunderstood. This wasn't "backlight bleed." It was a clear, distinct line, like something you might draw in a paint program. It also ran perpendicular to the edge of the screen, not near or parallel with it. It actually wasn't noticeable, except on white screens. LIKE WHEN you're READING! :)

And another thing! I think the NookColor is an awesome device. I don't know what the failure/defect rate is, and at this point I'm not really concerned. I am confident that #3 will be the one I keep. (For the record, I don't even remember--other than the Nook--the last device I've taken back to a store. Oh wait...I returned a plasma TV to Sams in 2006, a week after I bought it, because they wouldn't price match Amazon. I begged them to, but they said "Just return it and buy the cheaper one from Amazon!" WTH?)

-Matt