Recommended Tablet

Shadow12347

Oct 23, 2010
Hello I am very new to android tablets (as in today :)) and I have no idea which one to get. I am looking for a bigger one (like around 10) that has 256mb ram (or more if there are any), is expandable via SD cards etc, has a good processor, is on at least 2.1, and is compatible with the android marketplace for around $200 (but less would be better than more).

Please let me know of any suggestions,
Thanks!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, Let's get the hard part out of the way. While you can find a 10 inch about $200USD. You will be buying a unit with an older version of Android and a slower processor. That is true today. But maybe not in 6 months. The reason is the sweet spot for 10in units is Closer to $300 than $200. There are many 7inch units within the $200 which are quite nice and have 2.1 or 2.2 versions of Android.
Do not be fooled by Firmware build numbers. These are any number. There are currently only four versions of Android OS available on a Tablet. 1.5, 1.6, 2.1 and 2.2 The next generation called Gingerbread (3.0) will not be out until the end of the year. Think in terms of these numbers from a cost perspective
Less than $150 = Economy or close out for 7 inch (Nothing for 10 inch) Just ereader and simple web browsing, A disappointment unless you can live with lower res video.
Between $150-$200 = Mid-Range and minimal acceptable 7 inch unit for doing things such as YouTube and some games/Economy or close out for 10 inch
Between $200-$300 = Sweet Spot for Decent 7 inch units and better units which can do HDMI,decent support and better features/Minimal acceptable price for 10 inch units but will be limited in features/
Above $300 =Better 7 inch units and capable 10 inch
Above $400 = Quality units

Think of the $100-150 comparable to a Chevrolet Aveo or the cheapest KIA you can buy

Soooo What would I suggest. Something that will be closer to $300 which is not even delivered yet for a 10 inch (Example Archos 101)
I would suggest for a 7 inch a number of others.

I would avoid like the plague ANY WMT/VIA 8505 chip based tablets. You will be badmouthing Android within 3 hours to 3 Days. This is what is in the economy units.
I would accept a Telechips 8902/RockChip 2818/Cortex A8 or similar processor.

Look around on this page, Do NOT use the 'Bay as a reference. Use Internet dealers like MP4Nation, Euego, or Amazon/Google shopping. The majority of EBay units are 8505 Chipset units.

Best of luck

purdue512

Jun 26, 2010
That is an awesome summary. I've been reading a TON about the various Android Tablets that are available today and what is stated above sounds 100% accurate.

I am personally waiting for the Archos 10.1.. I've read enough bad reviews of the cheaper ones to know that patience and slightly more $$ will pay off. Does anyone know when the Archos 10.1 will be available?

Shadow12347

Oct 23, 2010
Ok well I looked at a couple different models and I found out that the smaller 7 inch ones had USB support so I could plug in a keyboard (which was the main reason I wanted to get a 10, because of a bigger screen size, it has a bigger keyboard too).

So I was looking at the HeroTab RK7. It's in the lower price range but it also has the telechip 8902, hdmi out support, normal USB, etc and it seems to be a great model after watching some videos on it. If there is something wrong with this model please let me know because to me this seems perfect :).

Oh and one question, can the firmware be updated on these? Because if I do end up getting this it is on 2.1 and I would like to know if I could get it to 2.2 or if it is possible to update it to gingerbread when it comes out.

Thanks for all your help!

JRowe

Oct 19, 2010
Do yourself a favor and hold out for a capacitive screen.Resistive means no multi-touch, and a kind of cheap plasticky feel to the screen. Just my opinion, but I've had several resistive devices, and they all felt, well, cheap. After using a Droid incredible, I don't think I'll ever be able to use another resistive device.

I would say 256 MB would be the lowest you'd want to go in terms of RAM, for the eventual upgrade to Gingerbread. $299 will net you the Archos 101, or $275 the Archos 70.

Both appear to be shipping on Nov 1st, and both look to be the best value for their specs.

DWhite

Oct 23, 2010
I have been looking at a few 7" models on Pandawill that have stated they have multitouch. It really only works on the explorer and I think a photo viewer. Two of these models have HDMI out and all of the multitouch have telechip 8902.

DWhite

Oct 23, 2010
Look at the Telechips discussion area. They talk about a few models. G10, M701, M701-R and those are just to name a few.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The price of $180AU ($170USD) including shipping is about right for what is being offered. The only down side is support and acknowledging the device will be expensive to return if it is DOA. EClair 2.1 Android is going to limit you in some functionality. i.e. No Flash 10.1, so Some YouTube and viewing services will not work.
The processor RockChip 2818 is a step up and has the power. But it should be considered a disposable in that it may never have a Froyo 2.2 or Gingerbread update. As a tablet which will meet your needs on a budget, it will be an acceptable build. My original specificatations in the lead email are still reasonably accurate for a Tablet which will not be old in six to 12 months.

wendywind123

Nov 20, 2010
A8 pad is single touch. But it is android 2.2, the speed is very fast. the latest 9.7 inch tablet PC with android 2.2 is multitouch, which is called Gpad GForce

Nowsupplier

Oct 7, 2010
There are so many models in current market, and your requirement is a little general so that it's hard to find the suitable one.
You'd better be more specific, and then you would find the right tablet at right price meeting your taste.
Good luck!

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
You can find a comparison between different android tablets at the link in my signature. Hope it helps. Most tablets with Android 2.1 are under 200$ and you can find some good deals for tablets with 2.2