[Recovery] Creating a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 or higher (ext3 & ext4 compatible)

djonathang

May 19, 2011
Faceman,

Thanks. If you get me through this, I'll do what I can to get you moved up on the list to sainthood!

Working it. Let us pray.

David

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Should update OP with 3.0.2.8. Didn't even see it till I read all the way through.

thanks for the great info!

treverj

Jul 28, 2011
I am absolutely not a tech savvy person so forgive the questions. I was directed here because: "Sounds like you are stuck in a boot loop which is not all that uncommon when rooting or changing ROMs. CM7 is a great ROM. To Break the boot loop you need to create a bootable ClockworkMod Recovery (CWR) card. Instructions are here [Recovery] Creating a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 or higher (ext3 & ext4 compatible)

Now that I am here I am still not sure exactly what I am supposed to be doing... I have a 2GB card to use. Would you please direct me a little more precisely?
Thank you for your help

BHC

Aug 3, 2011
Trever, you want the 3.0.2.8 file from here NOOK-CWM3028-imgfiles.zip. Let us know if you need anything else. JP Edit: Link was broken. Fixed in first post and updated in this post.
I downloaded this after being referred here by the FAQ, do I need to rename the uRecImg or uRecRam as a .img file after I extract it? I'm not sure what file I should use to write to my SD card using imagewriter. EDIT: I tried to download it from RapidShare and when I extract I get a folder named devconf with a bunch of files (IE: Backlight, BootCnt, etc) without extensions. I really have no idea what the actual .img is I'm supposed to write to the SD card. Sorry for being so helplessly lost.

Last edited:

xaltl

Aug 1, 2011
I'm in a somewhat similiar situation as BHC. I've downloaded win32diskimager and NOOKCMW3028-imgfiles(both unzipped). However, when I attempt to open the NOOKCMW3028-imgfiles with win32diskimager it doesn't recognize any of the files as .img type files. I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. Have a missed an important step that should have been intuitive if I were more knowledgeable? Thanks for your help!

And now that I think of it...when using the win32diskimager how do I indicate which "device" I'm writing to, as there are no options in the dropdown? Thanks, yet again!

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sorry all, I'll have to check the links. Unfortunately we are sort of at the whim of whoever is sharing the files as they tend to come and go and be changed without notice. It sounds like the linked downloads might be something other than what they are supposed to be. If anybody has a good source for the most recent disk image please feel free to share it.

When writing an image with win32 you need to have a clean formatted SD card in the reader. If that is the case win32 should pickup that location (for example F:\) and list it in the drop down as a location to write to.

Aug 8, 2011
Okay, so I downloaded the correct one, and I used the win32imager to put the image on, then I also put the g-apps zip file on the mSD.

I installed it into my nook, booted up, and made it to the boot menu. I changed the device to SD, and mode automatically changed to "Recovery"

Then I selected the boot. Now it's stuck on "Booting. One Moment..."

It's been this way for 5 minutes or so. I'm hoping this is correct. All I need to do (because it's already running CM7 without boot-loop), is install the CWR because it was rooted without g-apps. Making it basically a web-browser.

I read here that all I need to do is go into recovery and select the zip I want to load from the SD, and I'll have the necessary g-apps to log into google and have contacts and mail.

Correct so far, or waaaaay off?

Thanks.

Aug 8, 2011
Okay, so it was frozen and after a little investigation, it appears I'm in boot-loop. Regular loading appears, then the blue android guy... then the blue android guy... then the bl-- you get my point. So I got back into the boot menu, chose SD as my boot device, and "Normal" as my mode this time.

If this doesn't work, it looks like I have to wipe the mSD and start again?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
clever_endeavor, how do you have your Nook setup? It sounds as though you modified the boot file to be dual boot. For the instructions in this thread creating a bootable CWR card shouldn't involve any choices in the boot menu. Simply insert the SD card with the Nook off, then power on and you boot into recovery.

How did you install CM7 to the internal memory initially? Did you already have a bootable SD card or did you flash it from CWR installed in internal memory. Either way, yes all you should have to do is flash Gapps from CWR. It sounds like you have something else going on with those choices though.

If you modified your Nook to give you boot options it sounds like that is where the problem is. You may need to repeat the procedure used to create that boot file.

Aug 8, 2011
I didn't do any rooting at all. I rooted my droid phones (each of them over the years), but this time I wanted to just turn it on and go, so I ordered a rooted nook on ebay.

It showed up with everything but g-apps and CWR.

Now I've *just* restored it to stock ROM.

I'm creating a new root mSD, and doing this myself.

Quick question: Do I need to download the generic-sdcard-v1.2 etc. file, or can I just replace the stock rom with the new CM7 and g-apps zip files on my CWR boot mSD?