[Recovery] Creating a bootable CWR mSD v3.0.1.0 or higher (ext3 & ext4 compatible)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
If you want to clear it and add CM7 yourself and have a CWR boot mSD you can add the CM7 zip and Gapps zip to the CWR card. Then power down insert the card and turn on to boot into recovery. Clear your caches, wipe data and system and then flash the CM7 zip followed by the Gapps zip. Unmount the mSD and reboot.

JP

xaltl

Aug 1, 2011
Just checking to see if we have any info on these file downloads? Do we have a new source?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just checking to see if we have any info on these file downloads? Do we have a new source?

I have been on vacation so have not verrified the links yet but understand there may be some issues. If anybody has some that are working reliably, please post them and I will update the original post as well.

JP

EDIT: The two links in the first post should be fine. The first is the overall repository the second is directly to CWR 3.0.2.8.

Last edited:

xaltl

Aug 1, 2011
I have downloaded NOOKCMW3028-imgfiles from MediaFire and unzipped. The files revealed are uRecImg and uRecRam, each Type specified merely as "File". win32diskimager doesn't recognize either of these files as .img type files. Have a missed an important step? Do I need to rename a (or both) file(s) with an .img extension? Sorry for the repetitive questions, just don't seem to be getting it. :-/

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
I have downloaded NOOKCMW3028-imgfiles from MediaFire and unzipped. The files revealed are uRecImg and uRecRam, each Type specified merely as "File". win32diskimager doesn't recognize either of these files as .img type files. Have a missed an important step? Do I need to rename a (or both) file(s) with an .img extension? Sorry for the repetitive questions, just don't seem to be getting it. :-/

Isn't there a newer version of cwm out now? How do you update that to the sd card?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There are and aren't newer versions of ClockWork Mod Recovery (touch CWR enabled is newer) and there are also alternative recoveries. The easiest answer is that 3.0.2.8 is still the most recent version of the standard CWR for bootable recovery disks. To "update" a bootable recovery disk you need to format the SD back to factory fresh. Then use win32diskimager to burn the version of CWR you want to that disk. So really you just start from scratch.

cyclone5501

Nov 1, 2011
I have a Nook Color with ver 1.4.3 and have been using a SD card to boot to CM 7.1. I know have use of the entire Nook and wanted to root the unit. Followed the instructions and did a recovery with CWM without any issue.

Took the same SD used to do the recovery and placed gapps and clockworkmod 7 and booted the Nook.

The Nook continues to boot directly to the Nook software and worst yet changes the SD card by eliminating my files and placing the Nook standard disk files but it does leave gapps and clockworkmod 7.

I even tried to use a boot to change to boot SD and mode Recovery but cannot get to the external SD. Also tried to boot SD and mode Alternate and could not get to Recovery because the Nook software keeps taking over the boot.

How can I boot to recovery and still get to install the files to convert this monster into CWM?

Edit: Did not rename the boot files correctly. Made the change and now I am watching the screen that indicates "loading" for sometime now and will just leave it for the next 10 minutes before doing anything else.

Last edited:

cyclone5501

Nov 1, 2011
SD did not get beyond the "Loading" message. Here is what I have on that disk"

cm-7.2.0-encore.zip 103,342
gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip 6,260
mlo 15
u-boot.bin 281
uRecImg 2,345
uRecRam 1,243

Is there something that you notice that is incorrect with what is shown?

Addition: Nothing here is wrong............what appears to be wrong was not showing......SD was formatted as Fat and not Fat32. Actually did another disk with the 1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer and noticed that the SD was format at Fat32 and checked the one I was using and it was at Fat. All is working for now..................was this really the issue or was it something else?

Last edited: