[ROM] Gentouch78 Rooted v0.3 (for v1)

aaahooogah

Nov 16, 2010
I followed the instructions at the top of the thread. Everything works wonderfully (including Android Market). Thank you to whomever put this together.

I downloaded and installed Android Shell Emulator (org.loopbot.androidshellemulator) and tried doing a few things. I used the "Superuser Permissions" app to allow Android Shell Emulator to run as root.

whoami returns "permission denied"
su hangs the app
sudo hangs the app
ip addr show returns "permission denied"
free -m returns "permission denied"

cat /proc/version returns Linux version 2.6.29 (so at least I think the Shell Emulator is working)

What do I need to do to get this rooted so I can install/enable sshd, so I can work with this puppy over wifi? I hate USB cables.

But I would love to be able to mount a USB flashdrive... is that possible with this puppy?

diego

Nov 17, 2010
hi guys, saludos from argentina. sorry for my bad english. i´ve just bought my gentouch 78. i´ve tried to install the patch
gentouch78patchv3-Lincs.zip and from the augen site gentouch78patchv3 and no luck. after i restart pressing the back button and the restart hole the prompt screen stays there and do nothing. could it be that i´ve the patch 3 already installed?? i looked settings--- about tablet pc--- firmware version 2.1 update1----kernel 2.6.29. the two things makes me guess so is that i´ve no goolge applications on it and the audio jack is miniplug. i mean i try to run the patch but no way, i guess is because im up to date. if so, could i take the second step and run bootimg-su-googleapps-hosts-pirate.update3.zip?? thank you guys so much, i appreciate your work.
saludos from argentina

http://randomtechinfo.com/augen/gentouch78patchv3-Lincs.zip

evbraven

Nov 17, 2010
I cannot get this to work at all. I have the USB drivers installed, and I can use Android explorer just fine. However, when I try to do this flash update, it sits with the command box and never changes. I have killed my finger holding down that stupid little button for so long, but to no avail. HELP!!!

tmoore15

Nov 28, 2010
Hi,

I just got my gentouch on black friday. I'm still trying to decide if I want to take it back. I'm a lot happier with it after this hack, but now the accelerometer isn't working. I miss being able to type in portrait mode, as it's a lot easier. Is there a fix for this?

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
pharoh,

I think if you hang on youll be happy Ive tried several updates and NEVER gotten the market to work

then last night the sd card went in wonky and the whole hing fubar'd, now I'm trying to start from scratch

j

pharoah

Sep 5, 2010
yeah i wasnt really complaining.i have the app store and a couple download sites i use.ive just been trying to get it to work with the market.

you said : "I think if you hang on youll be happy" why? are they coming out with yet another update?

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Hi,

I just got my gentouch on black friday. I'm still trying to decide if I want to take it back. I'm a lot happier with it after this hack, but now the accelerometer isn't working. I miss being able to type in portrait mode, as it's a lot easier. Is there a fix for this?

you can get to portrait by using an app called "rotateD" it's an apk that's floating around.. bu tthe only way i could get it to work was by using the launcher called "Launcher Pro" ... here's a link to a page that has my detailed posting on it... http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ur-augen-gentouch-software-setups-here-3.html

once you get launcher pro and rotateD loaded you can switch to portrait or landscape by clicking the app icons in the ap drawer... i suggest placing short cuts in the launcherpro docks or on the home screens.. or you can do what i eventually did and add an ap called "control bar" it allows you to add shortcuts to apps directly to the notification bar.... handy if you're in an app and don't want to back out of it just to change screen orientation, you can add the "rotate portrait" "rotate landscape" straight to the notification bar... I've got another posting explaining it in the "post your Augen gentouch software setups here"
thread....

mindwave

Jul 6, 2010
no I dont know that Augen is going to release anything I just believe (having worked with 3 seperate types of tablets) that if you work with the augen youll come to really appreciate it.

I have a ZT180 that I REALLY like, but for the most part I think that the Augen is more responsive, and once you really get the ins and outs down pat you'll really enjoy it.

for example, not 6 hours AFTER I posted that to you, I got her tab stuck in an endless reboot cycle by telling it to default to a "corrupted" launcher app.

so I had to go back and reflash the whole thing. something I REALLY didnt ever want to have to do,especially after getting it set up just the way my wife wanted it.

so I strippd it back to 'bare metal' and started from scratch and discovered several things.

1) my market now works! woohoo!
2) I found a better copy of pacman for her
3) its faster
4) I got to udatae the ONE application she HAS to have for work
5) I got to solve an ereader issue she was having.

now I just need to install adw and get rotateD to work and she will be set!

JuiCe

Dec 2, 2010
When I first powered on my tablet, I noticed that turning it changed the screen orientation, so there is obviously a g-sensor of some sort. Unfortunately, after following these steps, this no longer works. I also downloaded an accelerometer app from the Market which proves that the accelerometer is basically disabled.

I saw that the guy a couple posts up asked about this too.. has anyone else figured out how to re-enable it? Alternatively, does anyone know how to restore back to stock? (not a factory reset, but an unroot and reflash back to stock)

I read an article about someone playing the game Hungry Shark on this tablet, which makes use of the accelerometer, and apparently it performed very well... I miss mine!

bmszabo

Aug 12, 2010
When I first powered on my tablet, I noticed that turning it changed the screen orientation, so there is obviously a g-sensor of some sort. Unfortunately, after following these steps, this no longer works. I also downloaded an accelerometer app from the Market which proves that the accelerometer is basically disabled.

I saw that the guy a couple posts up asked about this too.. has anyone else figured out how to re-enable it? Alternatively, does anyone know how to restore back to stock? (not a factory reset, but an unroot and reflash back to stock)

I read an article about someone playing the game Hungry Shark on this tablet, which makes use of the accelerometer, and apparently it performed very well... I miss mine!

As far as I know, no accelerometer.. anybody found it/ using??

JuiCe

Dec 2, 2010
As far as I know, no accelerometer.. anybody found it/ using??

My unit definitely has some sort of sensor in it for orientation. As I said, I turned it and the screen automatically oriented itself. I bought a few of these as christmas gifts, so I'll open one of the others and see if it orients itself as well.

I really would like to know how I can return to stock though. I noticed that included in the v3 update was a tcc8900_mtd.img file which is pretty big, but update.bat never references it. I wonder if I need to flash that to go back to stock? Anyone have any clue?

JuiCe

Dec 2, 2010
Well I just unboxed one of the other units, and it does indeed have an accelerometer. Specifically, a TCC92xx 3-axis accelerometer by Telechips. Power: 3.0 mA; Range: 2.8; Resolution: 3.0. Now, I believe the reason my accelerometer stopped working is because I ended up with firmware build eng.king.20100822.143725, while the stock tablet is running eng.king.20100915.221729.

So my goal here is to get the newer build (from the stock unit) back onto the other device. Can anyone in this forum explain how I might achieve this? I'll be happy to share this build with the rest of the community.

ZHkilla

Nov 25, 2010
I can't get past step one due to when I start the update.bat it calls up cmd just like its supposed to and it says waiting for device. then I follow Augens pdf instructions and when I hold the back button down and push the little reset button( while continueing to hold the back button) it goes thru and windows finds drivers automatically with no need of me pointing it to the usb driver folder like instructions say to. therefore the cmd window just stays at the waiting on device! what do I do now since it looks like I cant use this method of installing clockwork recovery this way? PLZ help

JuiCe

Dec 2, 2010
I can't get past step one due to when I start the update.bat it calls up cmd just like its supposed to and it says waiting for device. then I follow Augens pdf instructions and when I hold the back button down and push the little reset button( while continueing to hold the back button) it goes thru and windows finds drivers automatically with no need of me pointing it to the usb driver folder like instructions say to. therefore the cmd window just stays at the waiting on device! what do I do now since it looks like I cant use this method of installing clockwork recovery this way? PLZ help

Did you install the drivers from Augen's website?

SD Card & USB Driver Patch Files (Window Xp & Vista 32-bit) - Kayako SupportSuite Help Desk Software

Btw.. you should check to see what build you're running first by going into About Tablet-PC in settings. If you're running build eng.king.20100915.221729, I would NOT use this patch. You can root your tablet manually since you already have what's contained in this update.

Last edited: