[ROM] Imito iM7 Market Restore/Firmware Update

Tgarius

Dec 25, 2010
I purchased an im7s about two weeks ago. it will download one app from the marketplace then sticks on "Starting Download" if I do a factory reset it does the same. Everything else appears to work fine. The only solution "Light in the box" had was to send it back to China even though it does not appear to be a hardware problem.

telechips_tcc8900_cn-eng-2.1-update1 ECLAIR eng.
jade.20101203.202833 test-keys

Linux version 2.6.29

I would like to root this device and get the Android Market to work correctly. I have the SDK downloaded on my PC.

Any Help would be great.

jabss

Dec 25, 2010
Hi There,

I also have the exact same problem:same device (IM7), same sympthom (android market hangs), same firmware, and same lousy answer from Lightinthebox.
I have read somewhere that a factory reset would solve the problem (I could understand that the reset button on the back is not a factory reset), but I couldn't find the "factory reset" procedure.

Also asking for some help.

Thanks in advance,
jabss

Tgarius

Dec 25, 2010
The Factory reset is under settings/privacy and on mine I can do it and I get one download from the market then it just hangs on the next try.

Tgarius

Dec 25, 2010
No info or ideas from anyone, I thought this was the place to go for info...

jcannon

Nov 11, 2010
Hey guys there are other firmwares available, firmware for smartbook surefer and Dawa D7. They are fully compatible and have working market. Dawa D7 http://pachimon.jp/image/437388_D7_Firmware.zip. Smartbook surfer http://www.smartbook.de/Upload/Trei...d8-802bafb4f618/Surfer_OS_Update_30082010.rar. Surfer is the better of the two. Newest iMito firmware here, Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: iMito iM7 Upgrade For 1.2.rar, the best of the bunch but you lose the camera, wasn't a big deal to me. If you do use the iMito firmware, the boot img. doesn't work but you can replace it with the Dawa boot img. and it works just fine. Look up a thread titled iMito iM7 woes in the search bar, there are instructions on how to successfully install them. Two methods, one for linux by magnus_olsson80 and I have the intructions for windows in the same thread. If you want clockwork recovery go here, http://augendev.wikispaces.com/, and look in the left pane, some other useful stuff there also. Never tried the rooting instructions on there. Once you install the new firmware you can access the market and there are some rooting apk.s in there, again never used them and they may work. *********The updated firmware, {roms}, from the Augendev site is for the Augen only, don't put them on your iMito.*********

Last edited:

jabss

Dec 25, 2010
Hi Again,

Thanks for the "factory reset" tip. I still don't know how could I have missed it. Anyway, the factory reset have solved my problem. I'm now able to download and install apps from the market. The only thing it's not working its the book download from the "Aldiko" application - downloads keep failing. I'll investigate further.

Anyway, looking at some posts from this forum I could understand that its possible to upgrade the firmware of the imito 7, with significant improvements. I have already installed the android SDK, but I don't have a clue what to do next. What would be the best firmware for this device and how to change it?

By the way, many people say that im7s don't have a microphone. Well, it doesn't have a decent microphone, but it has something. I installed the "talking tom" application and could reproduce sounds, but with very poor quality.

Cheers,
jabss

--EDIT---
I had post this without refreshing the window.... I didn't see what had been posted meanwhile. Thanks Jcannon for the tips. I'm downloading the files and will try it.
Thanks!
jabss

Last edited:

spednix

Dec 27, 2010
I tried flashing my Imito with the Surfer firmware and now all I get is a quick flash of the Imito splash and then an indefinite black screen that's backlit. I tried re-flashing it with Surfer and Imito firmware, both look successful, but neither give any life back to the device. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: It's not fixed, but to show it's not completely dead I tried flashing with the Dawa firmware and now the splash screen says "Dawa" before it goes to eternal darkness. I know it's not really progress, but I thought it may help someone in knowing that the firmware seems to take, but the device just doesn't give a picture past a quick glimpse of a splash screen.

Last edited:

spednix

Dec 27, 2010
I pressed reset while holding the back button until the computer chirped. I ran the update script that I had edited for the proper location on my computer. It had no errors, said "Ok" to every task and then I pressed reset again after the command prompt had closed when the script was finished. I tried re-flashing it again with Imito's firmware and I tried Dawa's firmware also.

Hector

Dec 27, 2010
hELLO . i HAVE a new imito im7 and i need some tech support. By the way sorry for my bad english jajaj. i want to know hoy does work the android apps. where i can get apps for free and how i get the new updates. how can i download the Dawa d7 or other if there is a better one

spednix

Dec 27, 2010
Well...in my experience so far don't use the alternate firmware LOL...mine's bricked, but I guess other people are having better luck. There seems to be an issue with the market place with the Imito IM7 where you have to keep factory defaulting it to keep downloading from it. You can always download apk files to the device and install them. The IM7 comes with a program to install apks. This is why I updated the firmware and bricked mine in the first place, it's just ever since I updated the firmware all I get is a splash screen that immediately get's covered up by a black screen that never goes away. Good luck!

Tgarius

Dec 25, 2010
Ok, I'm getting totally confused. I have an im7S it's the 8900 chipset but I assume it's pretty much the same. When I do reset and hold in the back key I'll get a chirp from the windows 7 system but nothing on the tablet. Having changed the update.bat to (the files are in c:\tablet)
Set ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT=C:\tablet
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot flash recovery
fastboot flash boot
fastboot flash system
fastboot flash splash logo.bmp

I get waiting and nothing, devices shows an android device and is yellow so windows 7 is not picking up whatever the driver should be. When I boot all the way up the tablet drivers work correctly. I appear to be getting a lot of contradictory info as fas as the SDK and ADB. Can you not just flash the device from the SD card, where does the SDK on the PC fit into the equation as far as interfacing with the tablet (using ADB I gather) how does adb know where the device is, does it detect the usb driver or it uses it's own usb driver. Thanks in advance for any help, I believe part of the problem is tablet vs android phone.

Tgarius

Dec 25, 2010
As far as the market goes yes I have been using alternate sites but most the current apk's are on the Android Marketplace and the others are far behind (at least thats what I've found). I need the current version of 3CXPhone and have not been able to get it just and older version. Did you load USB drivers to get your flash to work..

zedamota

Jan 2, 2011
I tried flashing my Imito with the Surfer firmware and now all I get is a quick flash of the Imito splash and then an indefinite black screen that's backlit. I tried re-flashing it with Surfer and Imito firmware, both look successful, but neither give any life back to the device. Any suggestions?

UPDATE: It's not fixed, but to show it's not completely dead I tried flashing with the Dawa firmware and now the splash screen says "Dawa" before it goes to eternal darkness. I know it's not really progress, but I thought it may help someone in knowing that the firmware seems to take, but the device just doesn't give a picture past a quick glimpse of a splash screen.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, tried flashing a different firmware, all went well no errors nothing, now I only see the splash screen for a brief moment and then black screen with the backlight on.
I'm still able to flash new firmwares by going to the bootloader by holding the "back key" while pressing the reset button.
Could it be that this is a different HW version? Bought mine from "lightinthebox" and its announced as "iMito iM7S-Android 2.1 Tablet PC-MID-7"TFT Touch Screen-Telechips TCC8902-800MHZ-256 DDR2-2G-Wifi-Camera(SMQ5824)".
Any help? Ideas?

spednix

Dec 27, 2010
Yeah, I bought mine from ***************** also. Finally someone at least having the same problem. If you find any kind of solution let me know and vice versa. I'm waiting for ***************** to get back to me about this. I may have flashed it, but it was only to try and fix a problem that they claim didn't exist which is a working market place. And good luck...cause I've posted to two different forums with no one responding to help.