[ROM] XAUMOD Custom Firmware for APAD IMX515 (Single Speaker, Utopia)

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
THIS CUSTOM FIRMWARE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR THE SINGLE SPEAKER UTOPIA (乌托邦/安酷) 8" IMX515 ANDROID TABLET.

THIS WAS BUILT FOR THE CAMERALESS VERSION ONLY FROM THE FIRST BATCHES.

IF IN DOUBT, USE THIS THREAD TO IDENTIFY YOUR TABLET

No warranty or support pledged with this firmware. Apply at your own risk. Use common sense.

'xaumod' .12, last updated Jan 26

To reduce battery drain, download Airplane mode wifi tool from market (http://www.appbrain.com/app/airplane-mode-wi-fi-tool/net.geekherd.airplanemode) to enable airplane mode and wifi together.

This is a work in progress

Clean Install:

These files are to be extracted to the root directory of the internal memory (FAT) of the device (/mnt/disk) directory.

To update, from power off, start the device with menu and home keys held down. Then switch the device on. Choose 'update all', then wipe data/factory reset, and reboot.

After the first bootup is complete, power cycle the tablet via normal shutdown, and you are good to go.

XAUMOD 0.12 Download http://www.multiupload.com/VIT78USCST
MD5: 1C9BA387AB868B3D54FE5F4FBB019FC9

This is just a repacked 0106 ROM from hiapad. So it comes with Google apps as in the original update. Wasn't keeping track of all my changes, but this just contains superficial changes for the most part.

Not throughly tested! Quick system repack. No sources to speak of.

Process takes me about 10 minutes to update...

Post-Install Notes:
Notification sounds are copied in /system/media. Copy this folder to /sdcard/ and restart the device to enable sounds.

To see Contacts, use AnyCut to create a shortcut to the Phone intent.

Install Youtube from market

Will add full credits alter.

Recommended Installs after Market Access is gained:
Adobe Flash
Google VoiceSearch
Wifi on-off widget by Curvefish
ADW Launcher & Perfect Task Switcher

Added components:
Superuser (rooted)
PassionQuickOffice Viewer
Email.apk
AnyCut by Jeff Hamilton
Google ChomeToPhone
More Locale by C-LIS Crazy Lab.
Gingerbread Keyboard (default, Peter Alfonso/malez/AOSP)
Google ContactsSyncProvider
Google CalendarSyncProvider
News and Weather (AOSP)
Modified Calendar.apk to show up on Launcher (test keys)
MusicMod Froyo by Eliot Stocker
CNDDU cifs.ko in /system/modules/
CNDDU patched wpa_supplicant with adhoc support reference XDA
ES File Explorer
Google Search Bar
Terminal Emulator (pulled from CM ROM)

Removed:
Speedforge 3D
Provider.apk
TianTian Browser
Repligo Warez
ES Task Manager
System Info
ES File Explorer Old
Old Google Search Bar

Screenshots:
Pez61l.jpg

y0b0Nl.jpg

9ZUKAl.png

4Ya5ql.png

992wGl.png

HdJVkl.png

Credits to Shenzhen Richtechie for original 0106 firmware

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
That was a quick version bump. .1->.11->.12

Found a black statusbar mod and applied it from frankie_2012 (PadBBS) with a minor modification.
Removed Youtube APK, ADB wireless.
Fixed Superuser to work on first boot

Hopefully I don't find any more annoying things. Don't want to reflash for a while.

Clean wipe and flash

crazyyen

Jan 27, 2011
WOW just tried this on my black apad a8 2 speaker model and it working amazing love the speed and look :D

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
... This isn't supposed to work properly on a 2 speaker model. I haven't looked into how to fix the g-sensor yet..

Main problem is that I don't have one. It might be possible to swap a couple of libs and see if that works.

For properly functioning dual-speaker model:
Try copying this file http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZPR9MO3B uploaded by sohosurfer here, and place into /system/lib/hw using adb or Root Explorer, and reboot.

I might reupload a dual speaker version. I just need someone to test.

crazyyen

Jan 27, 2011
working super here mate the g-sensor a little bit wobbly but work fine :D if i cant deal with it i will just swap my old setting it only three files but as you can see in the pictures it a true 2 speaker model running your fw :D

Soo pleased it works i just wish i can get a 3g dongle to work or my iphone mywi :(
as if i go somewhere without wifi im stuck lol

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

Hopefully we can fix the 3g problem well done on your work sofar im happy to help out in anyway :D

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If 3G works on ordinary 0106Utopia(laotao) firmware on dual speaker, it should work on this as well. I only modified /system files on 0106 and cleaned it up.

crazyyen

Jan 27, 2011
Not your fault mate never had 3g working tried all sorts still cant get my 3g uk dongle or my tethered iphone mywi to connect to it :(

You have done a great job looking for too seeing more tweaks/mods soon :D

crazyyen

Jan 27, 2011
Right soo mywi turned on the apad can see my network name (*)Space it start to load but it get stuck at obtaining ip address goes in a loop saying obtaining ip address any idea you seem to be the best to ask thanks

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Not sure. Try playing with the encryption type.

I just broke my touchscreen so I wont be progressing this ROM much more. Thankfully it is at a state where I am happy to just leave it as is.

crazyyen

Jan 27, 2011
Not sure. Try playing with the encryption type.

I just broke my touchscreen so I wont be progressing this ROM much more. Thankfully it is at a state where I am happy to just leave it as is.

Sorry to keep posting here i cant find away to send a private :(

That a big pain sorry to hear that these tablets are lovely i hope you can fix it

Are you able to give me any info on modding/tweaking these tablets also playing with the encryption file as i know one or too thinks about system modding as i use to do it for the S60 software platform

Thanks

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Changes need to be performed in a unix environment with ext4 support. You can mount the img file, make changes to it, and unmount. Then get the md5 of that file and put it into the associated md5 files. That's all that's required for system modifications.

I've been on http://hardcoreforensics.com/wp/forum/ for technical info.

I was talking about trying different wifi encryptions. This firmware isn't encrypted at all.

crazyyen

Jan 27, 2011
Changes need to be performed in a unix environment with ext4 support. You can mount the img file, make changes to it, and unmount. Then get the md5 of that file and put it into the associated md5 files. That's all that's required for system modifications.

I've been on HardCoreForensics Forum - Index for technical info.

I was talking about trying different wifi encryptions. This firmware isn't encrypted at all.

Cheers for your info i have to look into that as im running windows 7 lol :D
the website look good i will have a browse around :D

That great news should be easy to get mywi working finger crossed lol
if you come up with any new mods or idea please do tell me more then happy to help