Root with 1.0.1 or update to 1.1.0 ?

fnzCat

Dec 10, 2010
Finally bought a NC a couple of weeks ago.
Registered and verified all is working fine, then shut WiFi off so it wouldn't update automatically.

Now I want to root it. My NC is a 1.0.1 and I have been reading a lot about the procedures.

What would the group here recommend? Update to 1.1.0 first and root, or root on the stock 1.0.1 stock unit ?

Are there still some little issues with rooting a 1.1.0 ?
Or even wait, as I read B&N will be coming out with something newer than 1.1.0 in a few weeks.

fnzCat

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
If you want to go straight to custom roms, you can root your 1.0.1, install CWR and go straight to flashing a rom.
If you have no desire on custom roms, then I'd upgrade to 1.1 and then root.

Either way you can gain the same results and ultimately end out at the same place. There are different root files, CWR versions for both now.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
My personal view is that since there are still some issues with 1.1.0 and CWR (clockwork recovery software - used to make backups); I would recommend sticking with 1.0.1 and rooting there. If you want 1.1.0, there is a sideload option that you can install after rooting that eliminates the compatibility issues with CWR. I am a BIG fan of backing up and as such think this is a better path.

However, like Rico said, if you are planning to do custom ROMs then upgrading has no benefit at all since you are going to overwrite the stock anyway. Just root the version you are on, make a backup with CWR, then flash the custom ROM.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Just got my NC today -- it came with 1.1.0 installed.

So far (I believe) all NC's come with 1.0.0 images loaded to the stock recovery. Therefore, all new NC's that come with 1.1 installed can be reverted back to 1.0.0 and then you can go in any direction you want from there.

Lazarus

Mar 4, 2011
I'd strongly suggest 1.1. Rooted on 1.0.1 I was getting the dreaded sound issues- where you lose sound once the NC sleeps. 1.1 fixed this major annoyance an ultimately made the device much more stable for me. I also use Clockwork without any issue. I should note that I did use the modified pre-rooted version of 1.1 though.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Better to use pre rooted 1.1 if you don't plan to install custom roms.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I'd strongly suggest 1.1. Rooted on 1.0.1 I was getting the dreaded sound issues- where you lose sound once the NC sleeps. 1.1 fixed this major annoyance an ultimately made the device much more stable for me. I also use Clockwork without any issue. I should note that I did use the modified pre-rooted version of 1.1 though.

And that is the key to making Clockwork work as intended...

vico512

Mar 2, 2011
OK - I think that what I'm gleaning from all this is to complete the bootable CWR/Recovery mSD card section of the incredibly helpful INTRO posted by faceman before I do anything else. I gather that should provide a reliable Clockwork backup, when all else fails?

After that, then it's off into the rooting section, with the understanding, if I screw the pooch, I can always get back to the stock 1.1.0 device from which I started?

fnzCat

Dec 10, 2010

Where can one find the modified pre-rooted version of 1.1 ?

fnzCat

Lazarus

Mar 4, 2011
I should note that I'm not using any customer ROMs, just rooted 1.1 on my NC. I can't comment to how Clockwork works on those, but for backups on 1.1 it works great.