Steps to make your New Nook Color Awesome [rooting, oc'ing and custom roms]

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
But don't hurry. Read everything carefully, thrice !

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Avi I would warn people in the original post that there may be a bug with autonooter 3 and cwr. People may want to load the 1.1 rom over 1.0.1 if that's what you did and it is working for you.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Cool, editing now :)

Suggestions are always welcome !

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Nope. I had stock 1.0.1. Rooted it and then installed 1.1 and 1.1GHz isn't working. As of now I am happy with stock kernel because it is snappy :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Done !

10 chars.

Thank you!

So let me get this straight.... You had a stock image of 1.0.1... updated to 1.1... used autonooter 3.0.0 to root... installed cwr so you could OC? Is it stable?

Correct me if I am wrong avi. I think avi is running the 1.1 pre-rooted rom. He autonootered using the one for 1.0.1 (not 1.1), installed clockwork recovery, then installed the 1.1 pre-rooted rom over the top of 1.0.1, via "install from sdcard" in clockwork recovery.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong avi. I think avi is running the 1.1 pre-rooted rom. He autonootered using the one for 1.0.1 (not 1.1), installed clockwork recovery, then installed the 1.1 pre-rooted rom over the top of 1.0.1, via "install from sdcard" in clockwork recovery.
YES. you're right !

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Thank you!

So if im already at 1.1... Can I CWR and OC now? Or do i HAVE to go back to the 1.0.1 image... and if I do that will I have lose all my data?

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Okay, so you are already on 1.1. autonooter it and try CWR and OC. See, only few are facing issues, but not all. If you 're lucky, then :)

and what was your stock firmware ? 1.0.1 ?

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Okay, so you are already on 1.1. autonooter it and try CWR and OC. See, only few are facing issues, but not all. If you 're lucky, then :)

and what was your stock firmware ? 1.0.1 ?

Yes 1.0.1... meh if it has issues might not be the best thing to do... I dont want to lose everything i already put on it.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yes 1.0.1... meh if it has issues might not be the best thing to do... I dont want to lose everything i already put on it.

Yes some people have been reporting freezing and boot loops when clearing dalvick cache in clockwork on there 1.1 autonooter 3 device, but I am not on 3 so I do not know first hand. If it is running fast enough for you with the stock kernel and you are on autonooter 3, I would wait before the bugs are resolved before you overclock.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Hello all. I normally hang out in the Huawei S7 forum but just picked up a nook color the other day. have rooted and tried a few roms (ultimate droid) but would like to try CM7. The problem I have with that is win32 disk imager. Cannot seem to successfully burn an image to the micro sd. upon completion, I check the sd and windows tells me the sd is not formatted. shows no files. Is there a zip version of cm7 available or do I need to continue to mess with disk imager? Thanks in advance.....p.s. - not very windows literate, as I have spent most of my time in the linux / unix environment. used to using ADB....Moshe5368

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hello all. I normally hang out in the Huawei S7 forum but just picked up a nook color the other day. have rooted and tried a few roms (ultimate droid) but would like to try CM7. The problem I have with that is win32 disk imager. Cannot seem to successfully burn an image to the micro sd. upon completion, I check the sd and windows tells me the sd is not formatted. shows no files. Is there a zip version of cm7 available or do I need to continue to mess with disk imager? Thanks in advance.....p.s. - not very windows literate, as I have spent most of my time in the linux / unix environment. used to using ADB....Moshe5368

You shouldn't be burning an image of CM7 to an SD card. You may want to create a bootable card in which case you burn a boot image. If you do burn an image to a card the pc will not see it as formatted and will see it as very small. This is how it is supposed to be. Don't reformat it in Windows or you will ruin the image you just burned. The Nook will be able to read the card just fine assuming you used a burnable image and didn't try to burn a ROM like CM7 on there.

Look here for bootable CM7 from SD http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
I just bought a Nook Color running 1.2.0. I would like to root it and use it as a full fledged tablet. Would the steps in this thread work for version 1.2.0? What problems, if any, should I look out for?