Steps to make your New Nook Color Awesome [rooting, oc'ing and custom roms]

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I just bought a Nook Color running 1.2.0. I would like to root it and use it as a full fledged tablet. Would the steps in this thread work for version 1.2.0? What problems, if any, should I look out for?

No this thread is a little outdated. here are the manual nooter steps for 1.2 http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...d-stock-1-2-rooted-manualnooter-4-4-27-a.html. You should read through the thread and look for the 4.5.6 file.

Also you may want to consider running a custom ROM instead of rooting. Here is a way you can test out CM7 to see if you like it. If so you can continue to run it from the card or install it internally. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

JP

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
I just bought a Nook Color running 1.2.0. I would like to root it and use it as a full fledged tablet. Would the steps in this thread work for version 1.2.0? What problems, if any, should I look out for?

Way to go for getting the NC!

1.2 rooting is via the Manual Nooter (which in my opinion isn't really that manual).
Did yours come with a blue dot in the box? If it did, you'd just have to do a few extra steps and re-partition before rooting.

In case you have to repartition:
[HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media - xda-developers

For rooting:
ManualNooter 4.5.25 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers

For trying a custom Rom on SD:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd-9.html

Shoot a question here and you'll get much help from a lot of Nookers.

edit: I didn't check JP already responded before I clicked submit reply. He's right, the Manual Nooter is now at version 4.5.6 so use that, but all the steps would be the same.

Last edited:

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try the SD card route before I take the plunge and root the Nook itself. I'll post here with the results.

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Got the Boot SD install to work and I like what I see. Whats interesting is that I can't locate the B&N Nook e-reader app on the android market on the Nook but I can find it on a regular browser on a PC. I can't install the Kindle app either as I keep getting a message that it cannot install in my region. Any ideas?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Got the Boot SD install to work and I like what I see. Whats interesting is that I can't locate the B&N Nook e-reader app on the android market on the Nook but I can find it on a regular browser on a PC. I can't install the Kindle app either as I keep getting a message that it cannot install in my region. Any ideas?

Odd, make sure in Settings>Date & Time you are in a US time zone. Also is your google account registerd outside the use for some reason?

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Odd, make sure in Settings>Date & Time you are in a US time zone. Also is your google account registerd outside the use for some reason?

Looks like the problem with the Kindle app had to do with an account setting on Amazon relating to my default shipping address. Had it corrected and it works fine. Still having a problem with the Nook reader.

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Ran into another problem. The wireless connection is unstable. It worked fine a couple of hours ago but does not connect to my network now. I thought is was an issue with the nook so I booted the nook without the sd card and it works fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Quick update. After a couple of tries disabling and enabling the Wifi, it started working again. I'm watching for the next couple of days to see what happens. I was also able to get the B&N Nook reader installed and working by installing the Appbrain app and accessing the app through Appbrain. I have no idea why I was unable to find the Nook reader app directly on the Android marketplace but at least its working now.

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Looks like everything works well now. Giving it a week before I root it. Is there a way to revert to the standard Nook install if the need arises?

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

ShutterPeep

May 3, 2011
Looks like everything works well now. Giving it a week before I root it. Is there a way to revert to the standard Nook install if the need arises?

two scenarios:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9921-how-flash-back-clean-stock-rom-using-stock-nook-color-recovery.html

[URL="http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9884-how-uninstall-cwr-save-root-revert-stock-image.html"]http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-faq/9884-how-uninstall-cwr-save-root-revert-stock-image.html

b
u[/URL]t if you're simply booting off the SD card, just shutdown, take out the micro SD, then just boot into eMMC.

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
If i understand the rooting process described, rooting will replace the stock ROM with the clockwork ROM or some other ROM. Can I restore the stock ROM if the rooting process fails or if I want to return it to stock? Is it necessary to backup the nook color before rooting it? I am not concerned about losing personal data but rather the stock rom so it can be restored if the rooting does not work or if I want to return it to stock (factory).

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If you use a process similar to the ManualNooter, ManualNooter 4.5.25 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers , you begin by creating a bootable CWR SD card and using that to install the new image to your Nook. When you boot from your SD card make a backup of your stock 1.2 system on the SD card before installing the new image. That way you can easily restore your system if anything goes wrong.

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
If you use a process similar to the ManualNooter, ManualNooter 4.5.25 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers , you begin by creating a bootable CWR SD card and using that to install the new image to your Nook. When you boot from your SD card make a backup of your stock 1.2 system on the SD card before installing the new image. That way you can easily restore your system if anything goes wrong.

Thank you for the info. I will try this and see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Stig

Jun 9, 2011
Instructions followed and while the nook still looks like a nook, I now have access to the market using Zeam and can add and remove apps. I was also able to install the Kindle app which I found amusing and ironic. The question now is do I leave it looking like a nook with market access or do I take it further and have it look like a regular tablet? I assume i would need to use a different ROM for this.

Forgive the silly questions, still figuring things out.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using Android Tablet Forum