Rooting Archos 70 IT 250GB tablet, not working with z4root

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys I've tried to root my ARchos 70 IT 205gb using the z4root.apk, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know how to root it or another way to root? Thanks.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
try universal androot, but also where did you get the z4root apk from

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
I don't remember where I got it from, it's the same one i used on my Droid X. Isn't it the same ? Or do I need a specific one? It was version 1.3.0. Also do you know where I can find Universal androot from?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have just noticed that some copies of z4root don't work but if it worked on your droid then that's not the problem and just google for universal androot

Sent from my incredible using Android Talert Forum

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Just downloaded Universal Androot and when i click on root it says gives me a message box stating "I cannot root this devie :("

Do you know of any other one click rooting apk that works? How are people using SetCPU, i read people using z4root and it rooted, but why isn't it workin on my stock Archos 70IT 250gb :( ? Anything else I can try? If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, thanks.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
It won't work with the latest update (2.0.71, aka Android 2.2.1).

That's why you see a thread here about rolling back to a previous update.

However, as the Gen8 tablets roll out more, you will probably see the developer community hack it (without booting a second OS)

willowave

Jan 8, 2011
It won't work with the latest update (2.0.71, aka Android 2.2.1).

That's why you see a thread here about rolling back to a previous update.

However, as the Gen8 tablets roll out more, you will probably see the developer community hack it (without booting a second OS)

OK so I am searching around and I'm not sure why I'm not finding anything, but from what you said I gather the zroot will work if you revert back to 2.0.54? Cuz not having root is beginning to be a bit of a headache for me. I use more apps that require root than I really realized. (I have a rooted HTC Incredible)

I did find the "manual" (as you could call it?) way of rooting on xda, but I'm having trouble finding the time to go thru the whole thing.
I'm beginning to wonder if reverting back would just be simpler.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
There is a danger, You cannot revert back to 2.1 from 2.2 without advanced techniques. Archos has a well known habit of doing some type of number mod to stop revision back to prior versions. It can be done. But be aware you cannot just revert to prior Android versions.

If you are still on EClair and z4root=will work. Froyo 2.0.54 and z4root = Will work. Froyo 2.0.71 and z4root = NOT YET.

So if you are on the latest firmware and Android 2.2 you will not be able to root. Some have updated without knowing they have. So make certain.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for the confirmation, I will now stop searching until and hoping that someone will eventually root the device. I'm ok with it without being root as long as I can use my Rooted Droid X to feed WiFi to my tablet i'm good and no need to root it :p...... Although there are some apps that are nice that require root, but i can live without it.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Since Wireless Tether devs haven't included infrastructure mode for the Droid2 yet my Droid2global won't work as a wifi hotspot. I have bluetooth PAN-tethered using the built-in Archos function, I have a thread for that.

It should only be a matter of time, though, as I believe the insides are similar for the Droid2 and the DroidX. I know they're not the same but I think they are similar.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Sorry let me clear that up, i'm also using wireless tether app from the market and set it to BLUETOOTH mode for tethering and using my ARchos 70 IT to connect via PAN (bluetooth) because the tablet did does not find my DroidX broadcasting wifi.

My wife got me the Huawei Ideas S7 tablet for xmas, but i traded it in for the Archos 70 IT 250gb. It had the same issue, but someone came up with a work around where they modified the wpa_supplicate file and all we had to do is make a back up of the original one by moving it to another folder and downloading the modified version from the internet and put that in it's place. This process was completed using Rootexplorer so we can enable read/write permissions on the tablet and once that was done the tablet was then able to find my Droid X's wifi no problem.

These steps above were all done in the tablet not the droid x (just wanted to clarify that) I still have the file, but i did not try replacing it on my tablet, because it's a different tablet and afraid to break something. Assuming worse comes to worse i just put the backed up copy back..... Maybe i can try it see if it works.... If you go under the Huawei tweaks section you will see it there.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
Go to the Archos Forum and read this thread. Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Very Happy With ARCHOS101 In Advance Mode

I have not tried it yet. It involves using the "diagnostics" mode (pressing power and vol down at the same time) and installing a second kernel (I think from what I read) then booting into that kernel. From there, you can do root things and then go back and reboot back into the regular mode. This is a very normal Linux concept and it makes sense that it should be easily available in Adnroid also.