S7 Charger Alternatives

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I think I mentioned this before, but, may be it bears repeating-
Find an old motorola round plug end car charger (I got mine in a Family Dollar store), open up the charger end and unsolder the cable. Get along to Radio Shack and buy some heat shrink tubing (they sell a multi size pack), hack off a plug and 6 inches of cable from a USB cable and rewire to the one from the charger remembering to slip the tubing on first. Solder the joints as neat as possible and then slip the tube over the joints and apply a little heat until the tubes shrink tight. For an even neater job slip a larger piece of tube over the whole cable to start with and slip back to cover the who;e joint.
Ah yes and before you ask RED and BLACK and the RED goes to the centre wire on the plug tip end. They should be the same colours though. (you may find WHITE and BLACK).

fsramosS7

Jan 6, 2011
Bad News with the powerline car adapter I bought at Walmart, I set the charger on 4.5 v, inserted the tip and got the charging icon on the top corner, no issues till i found after a few minutes later that the charging level did not changed at all. Does the icon should be blinking or static with an plug icon inside the batter icon ? Any thoughts ?

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
I'm using a 1.5M USB TO 3 WAY 2.5mm, 3.0mm, 3.5mm 5V DC POWER CABLE and a Arctic C2 Universal USB Charger for Frequent Travelers both from ebay. Used other usb chargers with 0.5 and 1 amp all have worked but this Arctic C2 Universal USB Charger has an output of 2 amps.

Hi topwoody, thanks for this, can I ask you to do a small power test if you can take out the battery and run this on mains charger but turn on bluetooth, wifi, and play a video, will it still work? Reason for wanting to know..is that the usb automatically switches from 500MAH to 2amps. Also which plug will plug into the S7...im guesing the 3.0mm plug?

The other thing is that the USB cables are only rated up to 500ma....will that cause a problem with overheating/melting?

Many thanks
Robert

Last edited:

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
I know this thread is for third party chargers, but I would just like to point out that Huawei apparently does in fact provide users and/or resellers with extra chargers.
I have been promised to receive two directly from Huawei right after new years weekend.

I received the chargers - see attached photos. They are branded "Shenzhen Frecom Electronics Co" and of course "Made in China".

CameraZOOM-20110112151814.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

Regards,
Christopher

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Very COOL! Can you post full details on what you did to get these? Who you called, emailed, etc?

gurduiala

Jan 7, 2011
Well...

I decided to jump the gun, and get a Duracell 3 in 1 Charger from Staples,

Its a little much ($31 with tax in USA Maryland) but i think its worth it, i can use in the house and when traveling in the car,

Thanks much for the tip.

topwoody

Jan 11, 2011
Hi topwoody, thanks for this, can I ask you to do a small power test if you can take out the battery and run this on mains charger but turn on bluetooth, wifi, and play a video, will it still work? Reason for wanting to know..is that the usb automatically switches from 500MAH to 2amps. Also which plug will plug into the S7...im guesing the 3.0mm plug?

The other thing is that the USB cables are only rated up to 500ma....will that cause a problem with overheating/melting?

Many thanks
Robert

Checked and all seems to work ok with no cable overheating I played a divx movie on it don't know what it would be like with a proper HD movie. 3.0 mm plug fits.

Last edited:

grenness

Nov 1, 2010
I received the chargers - see attached photos. They are branded "Shenzhen Frecom Electronics Co" and of course "Made in China".

And I can confirm that it's the exact same charger that my S7 came with originally here in Norway.

pbrauer said:
Very COOL! Can you post full details on what you did to get these? Who you called, emailed, etc?
I contacted Huawei Norway directly via their Facebook page, and got an answer from an employee who basically said "sure, no problem, I'll send you two - what's your shipping address?"
Of course I was very polite and showed my genuine support since the S7 more or less was slaughtered by the tech press here in Norway - really unfair, IMO, since the market for the last 3-4 months as consisted of two devices, the S7 and the Galaxy Tab at double the price of the S7 - but that's another thread! :)

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Nice, I can't seem to find a Huawei USA FB page:-( Somebody want to try calling the Plano, TX headquarters?

North American Headquarters, U.S.A
5700 Tennyson Parkway, Suite #500 Plano, TX 75024
Tel: +1 214-919-6000
Fax: +1 214-919-6601

Last edited:

lopeti1

Jan 6, 2011
Checked and all seems to work ok with no cable overheating I played a divx movie on it don't know what it would be like with a proper HD movie. 3.0 mm plug fits.

Thanks Topwoody I have just brought the arctic C2 off ebay....I did a google search just to make sure this was going to suit my needs ...and I can confirm this will work well using one usb port to save the battery ...ie run on mains power. Thats good news about the 3.0 mm plug working too!!

efidol

Dec 30, 2010
Just picked up the Duracell 3 in 1 charger for Motorola/Blackberry @ walmart for $15 and it seems to be working fine... Construction quality of the wall outlet/jack seems a bit cheap, a piece of it broke off when i was taking it out of the package :-|

475bc692-c035-44ec.jpg
475bc692-c03c-1fc3.jpg
475bc692-c042-66c4.jpg

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App