SetCPU settings for the NOOKcolor

lschroeder

Dec 6, 2010
I have the "+Add Profile" screen set very close to your settings. My Screen Off priority is 98, the rest are identical to yours. With my fingers I could never get it to stay at 99. Does that make much of a difference?

Second question: Since I have overclocked my nc to 1100 mhz, on the main screen I have the max set to 1100000, that is 1100 max. Does the overclock have much effect on battery life? Should I throttle it down here when I am only using the nc as a reader or in other low power situations where battery life is more important than power?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have the "+Add Profile" screen set very close to your settings. My Screen Off priority is 98, the rest are identical to yours. With my fingers I could never get it to stay at 99. Does that make much of a difference?

Second question: Since I have overclocked my nc to 1100 mhz, on the main screen I have the max set to 1100000, that is 1100 max. Does the overclock have much effect on battery life? Should I throttle it down here when I am only using the nc as a reader or in other low power situations where battery life is more important than power?

The 98/99 priority doesn't make a difference as long as it is higher priority than the other profiles (the slider is not easy to get just right). I am playing with some other SetCPU settings (and will post later) which will automatically scale you up or down depending on activity requirements.

eyedoc

Feb 17, 2011
Noob question? Running rooted stock 2.1 with OC 1100MHz omap 3630. Can i use rico's settings with my set-up? Didn't understand if this was for froyo only or for non overclocked etc...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Noob question? Running rooted stock 2.1 with OC 1100MHz omap 3630. Can i use rico's settings with my set-up? Didn't understand if this was for froyo only or for non overclocked etc...

His thread was written for the rooted B&N version, so those settings are perfect...they are actually good for any ROM as their functions are simply how the CPU handles speed.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
any ROM except CM7 right now, for some reason (and dalingrin is looking into it) use of ANY profiles in setCPU on CM7 maxes the CPU at 100%. I am anxious for this to get worked out so I can begin to see better battery.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
any ROM except CM7 right now, for some reason (and dalingrin is looking into it) use of ANY profiles in setCPU on CM7 maxes the CPU at 100%. I am anxious for this to get worked out so I can begin to see better battery.

Good to know

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Here is an alternative to Rico's settings I have been playing with. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in battery life from Rico's settings. The advantage is that instead of the processor jumping between Max and Min, it ramps up and down to the frequency needed so it might only run at 600MHz for simple tasks and Max MHz for things like HD video.

Feel free to try it out and leave feed back if you notice any pros/cons.

Main Tab:
Max slider should be all the way to the right for your max clock speed (800, 1000 or 1100 MHz depending on how you have setup your Nook)
Min slider should be all the way to the left (300MHz)
Scaling should be "conservative" (ondemand - jumps directly to max and min settings as needed; conservative - ramps the settings up and down between max and min in steps as needed)
$11-02-21-1.png

Profiles Tab:
Enable should be checked. Notifications *preference*.
Create Profiles-
Screen Off - Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 98
Charging/Full - Max *highest available*MHz , Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 95
Battery<35% - Battery 35%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<50% - Battery 50%; Max 800MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85
$11-02-22-2.png

Advanced Tab:
Sampling Rate - 300000
Up Thershold - 80 (bumps to the next higher frequency when CPU use exceeds 80% on current frequency)
Down Threshold - 33 (bumps to the next lower frequency when CPU use drops below 33% on current frequency)
Ignore Nice Load - 0
Freq Step - 5
$11-02-21-3.png

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
That my, friend explains a lot of things for me. Watchdog has been piping up about SetCPU all day I have been getting warnings, 70,80,90% above threshold. Just switched off my profiles and zing. My home screen scrolling and animations are still a little choppy but this help thanks.

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011

Very useful info.
So, do U suggest for people who are interested fof large power autonomy, to forget CM7 roms??

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Very useful info.
So, do U suggest for people who are interested fof large power autonomy, to forget CM7 roms??

I believe he was only saying, currently the CM7 (android 2.3) roms are still beta and a work in progress. Some things and apps work and some do not. I'm sure they will have all the bugs worked out by time of official release.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Very useful info.

I believe he was only saying, currently the CM7 (android 2.3) roms are still beta and a work in progress. Some things and apps work and some do not. I'm sure they will have all the bugs worked out by time of official release.

As rico said, the very early development build that is currently available for CM7 has some issues with setCPU. That being said, under the stock clock speeds the battery life isn't much different than it was on Froyo or Eclair. However, with overclocking it seems to eat faster. The same goes for phiremodv3 since it's built on the CM7 code. So for right now, don't leave your charger at home depending on your usage needs. I will let everyone know when setCPU (or alternative) works with the CM7 builds.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Is there a reason to limit the charging speed? Im thinking that if im plugged into a power source that i want full steam ahead right?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Is there a reason to limit the charging speed? Im thinking that if im plugged into a power source that i want full steam ahead right?

The lower you set the cpu clock while charging > the less power your device will use > the faster your device will charge while charging.

...which is want most of us want.

But I see your logic, that is how all laptops function. Ultimately it's to the user. :)