SetCPU settings for the NOOKcolor

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The lower you set the cpu clock while charging > the less power your device will use > the faster your device will charge while charging.

...which is want most of us want.

But I see your logic, that is how all laptops function. Ultimately it's to the user. :)

My only question is would you potentially run into heat issues if you set to max overclocked cpu and were recharging at the same time?

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
Gotcha. Does the charging profile apply only when the device is charging and the screen is off? Or does it apply any time it's being charged regardless of whether or not you are using it?

tenderidol

Feb 14, 2011
Here is an alternative to Rico's settings I have been playing with. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in battery life from Rico's settings. The advantage is that instead of the processor jumping between Max and Min, it ramps up and down to the frequency needed so it might only run at 600MHz for simple tasks and Max MHz for things like HD video.

Feel free to try it out and leave feed back if you notice any pros/cons.

Thanks for the detailed information. Just applied your settings.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gotcha. Does the charging profile apply only when the device is charging and the screen is off? Or does it apply any time it's being charged regardless of whether or not you are using it?

Undere Rico's setting it won't matter since both are Max 300 and Min 300. Also under his settings if you modify those numbers, the Screen off profile will overide the charge profile (99 vs 95 priority) so in theory if chagring and not using it (screen off) will go to the lowest power use.

Shortyred

Mar 28, 2011
New to the game why is your frequency saying 1100 mine only goes to 800? Is it what rom your running?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
New to the game why is your frequency saying 1100 mine only goes to 800? Is it what rom your running?

Many Nook Color owners are using a overclocking kernel, which allows them to overclock their cpu to 1100 mhz. There are overclocking kernels available for all current roms, including the stock B&N software.
See here for more info: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html

note: A kernel as in reference to Android is a linux based core system which controls services such as security, memory management, process management, network stacks, and hardware driver control. Therefore the kernel, controls the parameters at which the cpu gets it's clock speed, limits, and voltage.

Last edited:

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Are those settings each an individual new profile ?
Screen Off> blah blah
save
new profile >
Charging/Full - Max > blah blah
save
new profile
Battery<50% - >
etc ?
Is that how this goes ? Or do I start a new profile and do and save all of the different settings as one ?

I hope I get an answer because I just confused myself too.

Thanks
Mike
~~~~~~~~~~
Here is an alternative to Rico's settings I have been playing with. I haven't noticed any obvious difference in battery life from Rico's settings. The advantage is that instead of the processor jumping between Max and Min, it ramps up and down to the frequency needed so it might only run at 600MHz for simple tasks and Max MHz for things like HD video.

Feel free to try it out and leave feed back if you notice any pros/cons.

Main Tab:
Max slider should be all the way to the right for your max clock speed (800, 1000 or 1100 MHz depending on how you have setup your Nook)
Min slider should be all the way to the left (300MHz)
Scaling should be "conservative" (ondemand - jumps directly to max and min settings as needed; conservative - ramps the settings up and down between max and min in steps as needed)
View attachment 1322

Profiles Tab:
Enable should be checked. Notifications *preference*.
Create Profiles-
Screen Off - Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 98
Charging/Full - Max *highest available*MHz , Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 95
Battery<35% - Battery 35%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<50% - Battery 50%; Max 800MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85
View attachment 1323

Advanced Tab:
Sampling Rate - 300000
Up Thershold - 80 (bumps to the next higher frequency when CPU use exceeds 80% on current frequency)
Down Threshold - 33 (bumps to the next lower frequency when CPU use drops below 33% on current frequency)
Ignore Nice Load - 0
Freq Step - 5
View attachment 1324

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Individual profiles have been now created,

Now we watch battery life.

thanks for that,

Mike

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
My only question is would you potentially run into heat issues if you set to max overclocked cpu and were recharging at the same time?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J5150,
Isn't that exactly what you propose here;

Profiles Tab:
Enable should be checked. Notifications *preference*.
Create Profiles-
Screen Off - Max 300MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 98
Charging/Full - Max *highest available*MHz , Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 95
Battery<35% - Battery 35%; Max 600MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 90
Battery<50% - Battery 50%; Max 800MHz, Min 300MHz; Scaling "conservative"; Priority 85

Where while charging/full you recommend *highest available* CPU use ?
While charging, I want to devote all power to the battery.

Also, I'm not seeing any ramping of CPU during times of little CPU need, like while reading for the last hour the battery has dropped like a stone and when I checked the "info" tab, for the "time in state" during the time spent reading my book, the time was all spent pegged at max CPU (925) Does reading require as much CPU as web surfing with pictures and flash ?

I'm not trying to argue this, I'm just trying to understand.

I followed your guideline to the letter.
What am I doing wrong here ?

Mike
PM welcome

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Mike, good questions. The charging/overheat thing is not an issue. That way you get get max performance when plugged in and full battery. There will be plenty of juice on the charger to run full speed and charge. If you want full juice to battery while charging simply tap the power button and let it sleep while charging. Sounds like you might have a run awy app that is sucking the system. You can look at your running apps and see if one is being a hog or simply try rebooting and see if that clears it.

JP

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
Got rid of a living wallpaper that I liked; that should help with battery but I'll miss it.

SetCPU shows that it's using 66% of my battery right now. WTF good is that ?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That is strange. Maybe change the from Conservative governor to On Demand and reboot. Check to see if that makes a difference and then go back to Conservative and see if it is still running that much.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Got rid of a living wallpaper that I liked; that should help with battery but I'll miss it.

SetCPU shows that it's using 66% of my battery right now. WTF good is that ?

Greetings Mike, if I might ask which ROM are you running? There are some issues with SetCPU Profiles topping out the CPU on CM7 based ROMS, if you are not on the latest kernal profiles can be a crap shoot.

After you have the profiles set reboot, after the system settles, 3-4 min after restart, check the usage, if it (SetCPU) is still spiking the cpu then Profiles are not viable unless you update.

Also you mentioned the "Charging" Profile, it is my understanding that the battery will charge at the same rate no matter the CPU settings, so having the profile set to performance isn't going to slow down the charging of the battery.

Here are my profiles
$CAP201106131125.jpg

CM7 Nightlies, #100, Dals 060911 oc & Nook Color Tweaks, SetCPU and Watchdog to monitor, and Juice Defender as I have stated in other threads, superlative battery life, 48hrs of use according to Battery-Left and better than 3 days stand-by with moderate use.

And yes J5 I am trying to get this data correlated for a post on the Performance Increase thread....:eek::eek::eek:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Thanks LS. Good call on double checking what he is running. That could make a difference since there are definitley some issues with SetCPU and certain ROM versions.

JP