Skype in the Viewbook 730

americandane

Oct 27, 2011
I have a Viewbook 730 with:
Android 2.2.1
Kernel 2.6.29
Build Number is v1.00.08-Froyo

I installed Skype 2.5.0.114 (from Amazon mkt, but I doubt that matters where you get it) and it downloaded and installed without error and it works fine. There are 2 issues. First, the creaking of the VB as you handle it comes through pretty loud in your call. The mic picks up your voice fine - even if you're sitting with it on your lap, but if you don't hold it still the person you are calling will be a little annoyed. Second, all Froyo 2.2 systems can ONLY use the rear camera for sending your video image to the person you are calling. This means you can see the video from those you are calling great. In fact I was amazed at how good it was, but they can't see you. It would seem to be an easy fix to make the front camera appear to be the rear, but apparently this isn't trivial as I've been searching around and haven't found anyone who has done it (yet). If you investigate you'll find you need 2.3 or better to use the front camera. I've got to believe this can be solved, but not sure.

The good news is Skype worked fine. I placed calls as voice only. I received calls as voice only. I placed video calls and received video calls, and I did multiple calls to see if I could get into some voice or video quality issues. No issues at all. (By the way, if you're on a video call the "end call" and "mute" buttons fade away to give you a full screen image of the person you're video calling with (again they can't see you) - the way to end a call or mute is to tap the screen and it'll bring those buttons up so you can do the function.
About the only setting to fool with is the "enable video" setting. Everything else installed as default and worked fine.

At least one Viewbook 730 owner has not been able to get skype to work. I don't know why, but Skype has been steadily updating it's software to work on more and more systems. So, even though it didn't work a month ago, that doesn't mean it won't work today. In fact there is an update to the version I have, but I have yet to install it.

Hopefully someone will come up with a hack to get the rear camera only problem fixed. In the meantime, enjoy Skype with your Viewbook 730.