Some questions about the AUGen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Ok, someone explain this to me. May be I'm just a dumbass or something so I don't understand this. Tablets are toys. They are used for watching movies, checking emails, etc. Any real work we can get done out of a tablet pc is a plus, but it's not a requirement of the tablet. So, why in the world would anyone spend more than $200 on a toy? Unless you got money coming out of your ears, why would people support such blatant extorsion?

I'm currently happy with my gentouch. I've gotten everything that I expected when I first heard about it. Actually, I'm having second thoughts about linc's pirate update. Things are just not running as smoothly as when before I applied linc's update.

But anyway, it's a toy, people. It's not meant to solve world hunger or be your new best friend.

Lets get this out of the way it's not a TOY! Everyone now in the media is using tablets, and why shouldn't they? Why carry a pen an paper where you can use your tablet to do the same thing. Pull in data from your company over 3G/4G out in the field. Use WiFi to control things in your own dwelling from remote kitchen appliances to living room X10 lights and program your HDTV Motorola DVR or DIRECTV too. I use mine for more WiFi Signal Strength measuring for the type of business I am. I use to carry a laptop then a netbook, but now I use the tablet to do field site survey.

Schools are ordering the Apple version to replace books, there was ABC News report on this last week. So the demand is slowly coming to light. With almost 2.3 billion of these being made the demand is higher than netbook. 7" is standard size if you really want to do some real work then 10 would be needed.

The price should not exceed $500 bucks. I can't see spending $1,500 on one.

BTW Linc's abandoned ship on returned his.

Last edited:

livingenzyme

Sep 3, 2010
Lets get this out of the way it's not a TOY! Everyone now in the media is using tablets, and why shouldn't they? Why carry a pen an paper where you can use your tablet to do the same thing. Pull in data from your company over 3G/4G out in the field. Use WiFi to control things in your own dwelling from remote kitchen appliances to living room X10 lights and program your HDTV Motorola DVR or DIRECTV too. I use mine for more WiFi Signal Strength measuring for the type of business I am. I use to carry a laptop then a netbook, but now I use the tablet to do field site survey.
Everything that I knew the gt couldn't do even before I bought it.

Schools are ordering the Apple version to replace books, there was ABC News report on this last week. So the demand is slowly coming to light. With almost 2.3 billion of these being made the demand is higher than netbook. 7" is standard size if you really want to do some real work then 10 would be needed.
I saw the same report as well. If I'm not mistaken, they've already tried the kindle before. The experiment failed miserably.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for converting those things to electronic versions. I've recently sold my entire library (hundreds and hundreds of books) and has converted completely to ebooks. I'm a power reader in that I read about 1-2 books a week.

That said, the harsh reality is technology just ain't advance enough at this point to not treat it like a toy unless you want to spend a waddle of cash on it. The ipad seems to be able to do this, but I cannot in good conscience buy one.

May be in a couple years the tablets will stop being just toys.

PS - I stopped taking my laptop on my daily commute. Why? Because the GT is a lot lighter to carry. Seems to work just fine for me so far.

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010

The price should not exceed $500 bucks. I can't see spending $1,500 on one.

BTW Linc's abandoned ship on returned his.

They might not quite be toys, but they'll never be a nb replacer until MUCH better input methods come along for commonly available tablets.

I refuse to pay more than $300 for a tablet, and for that $300 it'd better include a decent pixel density display, multi-megapixel camera(at least one), GPS, bluetooth, 512MB DRAM, hw opengl es acceleration(GPU w/COMPLETE driver stack) and at least a cortex-a8 1GHz CPU o.w. it's a ripoff. (Oh and if it's Android, it'd better have every scrap of GPL source used available, preferably also with the Apache licensed pieces as well.)

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
If the 70 was $199, I'd be there in an instant, but not at $279, nor can I justify the 43 @ $199... too small... but let me know if you see any info on the archosfans site about the new tablets having USB GPS drivers...

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
GT78 is heavier than the Flytouch and I had use that more since the Rooted ROM has be on the priority to speed it up. Now thats it's at 350MHz instead of 174MHz. Still there is room to go 387MHz or the max 533MHz if the battery can last that long with such the CPU clocking higher. I would carry that around more. Still sure technology is just getting to the point to use your fingers to touch more like they're been doing at other food chains under POS (point of sale) touchscreen. So all keyboards will be history, I feel the voice will be the norm. You tell your tablet to do what you want instead of you using your finger touch to do such a command. Transparent tablets under clear crystal glass or some sort of clear plastic is what might come out in the future.

Consider this, everything you use is a toy then. TV, AC, Watch, MP3 player would be considered a toy. What is a Toy? How do you determine what a TOY would be in this type of device. E-readers could be a TOY also anything could be a TOY. My netbook could be considered a TOY also.

Really a dumb terminal except you can access vast data cells throughout the world. Use your mind and communicate with the thought process to the access channels of you finger tips whether by touch screen or by the typing of the keyboard.

Last edited:

cutterjohn

Aug 23, 2010
GT78 is heavier than the Flytouch and I had use that more since the Rooted ROM has be on the priority to speed it up. Now thats it's at 350MHz instead of 174MHz. Still there is room to go 387MHz or the max 533MHz if the battery can last that long with such the CPU clocking higher. I would carry that around more. Still sure technology is just getting to the point to use your fingers to touch more like they're been doing at other food chains under POS (point of sale) touchscreen. So all keyboards will be history, I feel the voice will be the norm. You tell your tablet to do what you want instead of you using your finger touch to do such a command. Transparent tablets under clear crystal glass or some sort of clear plastic is what might come out in the future.

Consider this, everything you use is a toy then. TV, AC, Watch, MP3 player would be considered a toy. What is a Toy? How do you determine what a TOY would be in this type of device. E-readers could be a TOY also anything could be a TOY. My netbook could be considered a TOY also.

Really a dumb terminal except you can access vast data cells throughout the world. Use your mind and communicate with the thought process to the access channels of you finger tips whether by touch screen or by the typing of the keyboard.

been there done that tipstir with PR1ME terminals and HP Apollo... bottomline the GT is/was a joke and it was perpetrated on Augen by sly Chinese practitioners who left them holding the bag, but they phailed at due diligence so all I can say is: "oh well guyz"...

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
been there done that tipstir with PR1ME terminals and HP Apollo... bottomline the GT is/was a joke and it was perpetrated on Augen by sly Chinese practitioners who left them holding the bag, but they phailed at due diligence so all I can say is: "oh well guyz"...

Augen Electronics Corp (2005) Short term deal, we just lucky they did give us some updates..
Take a look at this Looks like they're apart of Augen Global Sourcing LLC (2009), Amway World Distributors Corp (2006), S.V Gasoline, and LLC, H2O Mist Inc.

calmartin

Aug 26, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.