Sylvania SYTABEX7 Owners: Must Read

Eggplanto

Apr 28, 2011
I've had the SYTABEX7 for about 3 months now and my frustration continues to grow. When I first got it, almost nothing would run. I did the 2.2 update and performance was definately better- I could run SOME apps without them crashing but still the device had problems like: the card reader fails to read the card most of the time (I've tried multiple cards), the wifi connection will frequently drop, and as of last week, whenever I turn on the device, it comes up to the "calibrate" screen so it loses all my settings every time I turn it off and on. At this point, the tablet is pretty useless. Has anybody else had these problems, and if so, is there a way to fix them? Does anybody know how to go about returning the device to the manufacturer to get it fixed or replaced? Thanks

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
I've had the SYTABEX7 for about 3 months now and my frustration continues to grow. When I first got it, almost nothing would run. I did the 2.2 update and performance was definately better- I could run SOME apps without them crashing but still the device had problems like: the card reader fails to read the card most of the time (I've tried multiple cards), the wifi connection will frequently drop, and as of last week, whenever I turn on the device, it comes up to the "calibrate" screen so it loses all my settings every time I turn it off and on. At this point, the tablet is pretty useless. Has anybody else had these problems, and if so, is there a way to fix them? Does anybody know how to go about returning the device to the manufacturer to get it fixed or replaced? Thanks
It's understandable that while this is a consumer product it does need a little patience to get the most out of it. A few questions/suggestions -

• Did you use beta4 for the upgrade to 2.2? It has been reported as the most stable and resolve the most issues. If not, try upgrading again using that file.
  • If you did use beta4, have you done a "Factory Reset" from the Settings screen? This will wipe all user data and clear off reference to all installed programs and settings so if there was an issue with some data corruption it should clear the problem. This also works when programs wont install because the device reports 0.0 free space. Try this version of factory reset.
  • If you've done that and already been using beta4 did you do a "Factory Reset (three finger method)"? This is always a good procedure if you don't know what's going on and are willing to reload all programs and settings.
  • Finally, if you're really not willing to attempt any of these you can always contact Customer Support online http://digitalgadgets.com/contact-us.php
Good luck and report back if anything works including contacting Customer Support.

Eggplanto

Apr 28, 2011
Thanks a bunch for the information and suggestions. My device does have beta4 for 2.2. I've tried the various resets and none of them have improved the device, so I'm at the point where I'll contact Customer Support and see if they can replace or fix the tablet. Would you know if the warranty is still good since I upgraded the device to 2.2? Is that "beta4" upgrade something "official" from the company or did I void the warranty by upgrading? Thanks

netcoord99

Sep 29, 2011
Speaking of "Must Read".. did I pull a major boo boo? I pushed the reset button on the back of this sytabex7 tablet. Did that or something else wipe all my apps off it and set me back so I can't even download free apps anymore? If not, why can't I get free apps now? I get an error now saying download failed?

petedude

Mar 9, 2011
Thanks a bunch for the information and suggestions.

Forgive me if someone else mentioned this already, but did you upgrade the wireless driver? I've done this and helps with the wireless issues. There's also some wireless setting tweak mentioned around these parts that supposedly helps with power consumption as well as performance.

mardow

Mar 31, 2011
My tablet reset on me and I lost all my settings. After it came up as a stock system running 2.1 I tried the system update. To my great surprise it worked. I now have android 2.2 running. The following is what I get from a system status:

Model number
SYTABEX7

Android version
DG2.2.1-7b1

Kernel version

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Speaking of "Must Read".. did I pull a major boo boo? I pushed the reset button on the back of this sytabex7 tablet. Did that or something else wipe all my apps off it and set me back so I can't even download free apps anymore? If not, why can't I get free apps now? I get an error now saying download failed?

I thinks thats just a problem with one of the cache folders, I know I've heard that problem before. I know I'm gonna spell this wrong, but I think it's the Delvchek-Cache....yeah that spelling HAS to be wrong, but I'm sure someone here will correct me.

Pressing the reset button on the back simply turns the tablet immediately off. Nothing to worry about that.

lohtse

Mar 9, 2011
My tablet reset on me and I lost all my settings. After it came up as a stock system running 2.1 I tried the system update. To my great surprise it worked. I now have android 2.2 running. The following is what I get from a system status:

Model number
SYTABEX7

Android version
DG2.2.1-7b1

Kernel version

lol thats the first and probably only time update as ever happened lol

srrao

Nov 4, 2011
Can you please advise what was the problem you were facing with USB port?

I had recently purchased a Sylvania SYTABEX7.

During my testing of the unit, I realized at least two things that needed addressed by the manufacturer:
- USB port were not functioning
- Updater would not allow the unit to update to the latest firmware release

I called: Digital Gadgets / 1-888-571-0866
Explained them my problems, and at no extra cost to me, they are sending me the SYNET7LP
The difference between the two models is the HDMI port, and the SYNET7LP will have the updated firmware. They provided me with a shipping label, all I have to do is box it up and drop it off to UPS.

For a cheap / budget Android tablet, this is not a bad device for simple tasks.
They are working on the Android 2.2 firmware for the units.

SYTABEX7 owners could benefit from this.

Glassman

Sep 17, 2012
I bought a couple of the sylvania sytab10st's and as soon as I turned on the first unit it froze. I waited until its battery died down which is what I do with my Ipod when it acts up as well. it worked okay for a few minutes and started doing the same thing. "freezing" now it does'nt turn on at all. I looked in the user guide for help and found the web site and phone number. so far its been a week and no one has returned my call from the message I left asking to be contacted. I am now trying to get some answers from their website and have been just as unsuccessful. I know they were inexpensive units but I still dont believe I should lose my money which is how I'm starting to feel. I would appreciate any advice on what to do about this matter. I was planning to buy three more for chistmas to give to my kids but Don't think it would be a wise desicion at this point.

kisstink33

Nov 13, 2012
I had recently purchased a Sylvania SYTABEX7.

During my testing of the unit, I realized at least two things that needed addressed by the manufacturer:
- USB port were not functioning
- Updater would not allow the unit to update to the latest firmware release

I called: Digital Gadgets / 1-888-571-0866

SYTABEX7 owners could benefit from this.

well i can i just say that my tablet exploded in my kids hands while he was playing a game it was not hot or over charged

mre123

Mar 4, 2012
My tablet is not charging anymore..........it starts and goes off when i press power button. Adapter is working fine on other devices. Can anyone help ??