tether phone to tablet

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
does any one know how to wirelessly tether your android phone with your tablet. like when i turn on my wireless app my tablet cant find it. does any one know how to make the tablet find it then connect to it? thanks for your help in advance :)

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok update on what i have found maybe some buddy will know something else. Android phones and tablets wont connect to an ad hoc network (which is the network your phone makes if you using wireless tethering apps) they dont even recognize the ad hoc networks. but i did find an app called wifi buddy beta (found in the market) that will recognize ad hoc networks (which is a step in the right derection) but it still cant connect i have emailed the developer to see if he is planning on adding that into the app but we will see. i havent tried the native froyo wifi hot spot app sense i havent found a rom that has that working yet. but if any one has any pointers that would be great thanks.

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
ok update on what i have found maybe some buddy will know something else. Android phones and tablets wont connect to an ad hoc network (which is the network your phone makes if you using wireless tethering apps) they dont even recognize the ad hoc networks. but i did find an app called wifi buddy beta (found in the market) that will recognize ad hoc networks (which is a step in the right derection) but it still cant connect i have emailed the developer to see if he is planning on adding that into the app but we will see. i havent tried the native froyo wifi hot spot app sense i havent found a rom that has that working yet. but if any one has any pointers that would be great thanks.

You hit the nail on the head:
*Android phones serve up their Wifi Hotspot as an Ad Hoc network
*Android tablets can't natively connect to Ad Hoc networks...

Note: there has been discussion that it may be possible to hack your android device to connect to Ad Hoc networks, but I haven't seen any proof of it on the Android Tablets that are currently out.

baohx2000

Jun 13, 2010
I hope someone can figure this out so either connect to ad-hoc or (preferrably) allow tether as a regular wifi point.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok so great news for some of you out there. i dont know how many have an evo 4g but if you do you can install that latest wireless tether app and it will give you the full wireless experience not just ad hoc (yes you have to be rooted) i dont have an evo but if someone does and wants to try it let us all know how it works. you can find out more about it here Free Android WiFi Tether For Root Users App Now Supports WPA2 And Full Hotspot (Infrastructure) Capabilities On EVO 4G | Android News, Reviews, Applications, Games, Phones, Devices, Tips, Hacks, Videos, Podcasts - Android Police

baohx2000

Jun 13, 2010
just tried out the 2.0.5pre1 on my Droid and still got nothing when trying to tether. I assume it's still showing as ad-hoc. Will try and make sure the laptop can still see it tomorrow.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
yes i tried the latest update for wireless tether and its still ad hoc for our droids but i did read that the new froyo 2.2 native wifi hotspot will be an actual wireless network so i have been trying to find a 2.2 rom that has a working wifi hot spot but from all the ones i have tried i cant find one that works and most dont even have the option for the hotspot. so keep your fingers crossed that the cyanogenmod 6.0 will have it working. and i hope it comes out soon

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
update time i just tried cyanogenmod 6.0 alpha 3 and no go on the wifi hotspot. so the hunt is still on to figure out a way to use your android phone for wifi for your tablet.

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
update time i just tried cyanogenmod 6.0 alpha 3 and no go on the wifi hotspot. so the hunt is still on to figure out a way to use your android phone for wifi for your tablet.

There have been a lot of requests on the 'other forum' to some of the ROM developers to add in Ad Hoc support for the aPad firmware. I'm hoping the request doesn't fall on deaf ears as this would be really nice for people who have mobile phones with Wifi Hotspot support.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010

There have been a lot of requests on the 'other forum' to some of the ROM developers to add in Ad Hoc support for the aPad firmware. I'm hoping the request doesn't fall on deaf ears as this would be really nice for people who have mobile phones with Wifi Hotspot support.

thanks for the update, that would be great. i have tried every angle i possible could think of to get it to work and nothing yet

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It's not hard to implement according to this
What you'll need

Better terminal emulator
Root explorer

Goto wifi settings
Add the adhoc's ssid case sensitive

Goto better terminal emulator

Type
ifconfig ra0 down

Goto root explorer
Navigate to /system/etc/wifi
Open in text editor (hold your finger on the file to see options) wpa_supplicant.conf
This is what mine looks like

ctrl_interface=ra0
update_config=1

network={
ssid="AndroidTether"
key_mgmt=NONE
mode=1
}

Edit your ssid and make it look like this one
Menu -> save & exit
it will make a back up

Goto /system/etc/wireless/rt2870sta
In rt2870sta.dat edit the red (should all look like this one)

#the word of "default" must not be removed
CountryRegion=0
CountryRegionABand=7
CountryCode=US
ChannelGeography=1
SSID=YOUR SSID
NetworkType=Adhoc
WirelessMode=5
Channel=0
BeaconPeriod=100
TxPower=100
BGProtection=0
TxPreamble=1
RTSThreshold=2347
FragThreshold=2346
TxBurst=0
PktAggregate=0
WmmCapable=0
AckPolicy=0;0;0;0
AuthMode=WPA
EncrypType=TKIP
WPAPSK=mysecretkey
DefaultKeyID=1
Key1Type=0
Key1Str=
Key2Type=0
Key2Str=
Key3Type=0
Key3Str=
Key4Type=0
Key4Str=
PSMode=CAM
FastRoaming=0
RoamThreshold=70
APSDCapable=0
APSDAC=0;0;0;0
HT_RDG=1
HT_EXTCHA=0
HT_OpMode=1
HT_MpduDensity=4
HT_BW=1
HT_AutoBA=1
HT_BADecline=0
HT_AMSDU=0
HT_BAWinSize=64
HT_GI=1
HT_MCS=33
HT_MIMOPSMode=3
IEEE80211H=0
TGnWifiTest=0
WirelessEvent=0
CarrierDetect=0

Menu -> save & exit
it will make a back up

Goto Terminal emulator again and type
ifconfig ra0 up

now you should be adhocing have fun
This is my first how to so i might have forgotten something. just let me know if you having trouble
HOW TO Adhoc - Blogs - .:SlateDroid | Android Tablet Forum:.

It's easy to put together

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
woo alright sweet thanks for the help i will give it a try and see if i can get it working :)

riki1kenobi

Jul 10, 2010
What I tried to do was to install a piece of software that allows you to create a secure network on the phone and see IF the apad would connect to it. Havent had any success as yet, but I'm still working on it......

I've just signed up on here, been keeping tabs on developments though (the slatedroid site is down at the mo so I cant update the blog I have running over there) but I'll keep updating on both IF I manage to find a workaround........

Regards
Riki

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
That would be great let us know if you get anything working

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
i havent been able to try xaueious instructions yet but i was wondering if anyone else has, and if it works?