Tethering Possible?

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
Does anuone know if/how to use my Droid phone as a tether for my G-Tab? Not sure this is even possible, but I figured someone would know:rolleyes:

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
Yes, though a few things are needed.

On your phone, it is rooted and you are running the Wireless Tether for Root Users app on your phone.

On your tablet, you are running one of the custom ROMs or have added the ad-hoc networking support to the stock rom (will need to root your tab as well).

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Yes, though a few things are needed.

On your phone, it is rooted and you are running the Wireless Tether for Root Users app on your phone.

On your tablet, you are running one of the custom ROMs or have added the ad-hoc networking support to the stock rom (will need to root your tab as well).

Very well said

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
Hmmm...not to keen on rooting my phone. If my tablet is any indication, rooting and customizing can cause massive instability. That I cannot have on the phone as I need it for work, it has to be up 100% of the time. I can put up with it on the tablet because it is basically a big toy. Are there any non-root solutions that anyone is aware of?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
What phone do you have, and who is your provider? As far as "massive instability," my phone AND my tablet are both more stable with good ROMs that I put on as opposed to the factory shipped, bloated ROMs. When picking the ROM for your device, pick one of the basic, non-experimental ROMs and you will be very surprised with the improvements, promise.

As far as a non-rooted option, Verizon does have a WiFi hotspot app and service you can add and pay a premium for, so does Sprint. And you do not need to have your tablet rooted or flashed, just connect as you would to any WiFi signal.

Hope this helps.

Peter

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
I have an original Moto Droid,didn't come with a lot of the crapware that came with later phones. I have never had an issue with it. On my G Tab I have tried TnT Lite 2.2, which became so unstable with forceclose issues that I had to reload it twice. On the third time around I dumped it for G Harmony 1.2 which still has some minor force close issues on startup. If you can recommend a better ROM for the G Tab I would be willing to try that when this one eventually gives out. Maybe my definition of unstable is different, but I just want a tablet that I can use everyday without worrying about loosing all my info and redoing the ROM over and over. Bad part is I just couldn't put up with the stock ROM!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Personally I run bittrix's CM7, haven't had a FC in weeks. I would also recommend VEGAn 5.1 as a VERY stable and fast ROM. The earlier TnT's did have some bugs, but should be pretty good. One thing you might try is the following:

1. Install Titanium Backup
2. Click the Problems button so that it installs BusyBox
3. Install ROM Manager
4. In ROM Manager go to the Utilities->Fix Permissions process and run that
5. Check your SD partitions to make sure they are set properly

All of those things are possible fixes for FC on the tablets (I know, it should just work out of the box).

Honestly, I ran VEGAn every day for 6 weeks with no issues, and have been running bittrix since 2/20 also with no issues. I have even flashed to other ROMs and come back to that one every time. Remember to make a full backup of whatever you have that you can live with, then when you try something new it is easy to revert if it turns out to be a stinker.

Finally, if you have one of the first Moto Droids, that would mean you are on Verizon right? You can add Wifi Mobile Hotspot to your plan without rooting your phone, you will just have to pay for the additional services.

bs77988

Apr 3, 2011
To tether internet to your tab you have to root your tab first? The tab just can't pick up the signal like any other wireless sig? Or is this specific with the gtab?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
you can connect any broadcasting Wifi-network on the stock ROM

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
i confused you? all i said was very well said to tcrews comment, but having a droid I can tell you that cm6.1 is very stable i personally wouldnt use a gingerbread rom but thats just my opinion. I might be mistaken on what you asked pbrauer but android natively cant connect to an adhoc network so unless the viewsonic did something different with the gtab which i dont think they did you wont be able to tether your OG droid to your gtab unless you root the gtab too.

@pbrauer i believe i saw a post from you that said you posted from a thunderbolt, how do you like it? have you video chatted on it yet?

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the advice! I will probably try Vegan next if I continue to have issues in G Harmoy or they get worse. I think at this point I will live with wifi only until I can get the rest of my problems solved.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
@pbrauer i believe i saw a post from you that said you posted from a thunderbolt, how do you like it? have you video chatted on it yet?

LOVE the Thunderbolt. Right now I am probably the one of the only 4g users in my area so I actually get better speed on the phone than I do with my hard wire internet at home.

Have done the video chat demo, but not with any real person yet (no one I know to talk to has it!).

cheers,
Peter

tcrews

Oct 19, 2010
I have an original Motorola Droid as well, running my rom (I compiled from source) and tether my gtablet (running VEGAn 5.1.1) with no problems.

As for rooting your phone....you can root your phone (gain root access...basically administrator access to the file system) without changing ROMs and the same for the gtablet. However...if you've been getting all the updates from Verizon on your Droid, rooting it has gotten much more difficult than previously as NONE of the one-click methods/apps work.

Rooting the gtablet is easy...though I still recommend installing one of the more stable ROMs (they will already have root....and have the needed ad-hoc patches included).

I have an original Moto Droid,didn't come with a lot of the crapware that came with later phones. I have never had an issue with it. On my G Tab I have tried TnT Lite 2.2, which became so unstable with forceclose issues that I had to reload it twice. On the third time around I dumped it for G Harmony 1.2 which still has some minor force close issues on startup. If you can recommend a better ROM for the G Tab I would be willing to try that when this one eventually gives out. Maybe my definition of unstable is different, but I just want a tablet that I can use everyday without worrying about loosing all my info and redoing the ROM over and over. Bad part is I just couldn't put up with the stock ROM!

voyageurs60

Dec 27, 2010
I am running my gTab with the TnT G-harmony 1.2 - found this video on Youtube and it works for me on my Droid X using the un-rooted technique... thinking of rooting my Droid X usint TBH - Team Black Hat, anyone have experience with this one? Dan

Last edited by a moderator: