the Display/Video/Media thread

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Well if you covered them to mp4 your tablet would read them or download rock player and that will play avi's for sure it might also play what you want

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Any good converters to recommend (free preferably) I was looking around while waiting for advice. I found one that said free and I downloaded it....turns out the free version only downloads 5 min of each file. :(

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
"Super" is a good but sometimes confusing converter, but its free. I second the "Rockplayer" recommendation to avoid having to convert videos.

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
I will look for Super. Thanks. So you think Rockplayer may play mkv files? They are not compressed at all since I wanted the best quality for my media server. And now I find it is hard to play them with anything else..... oops.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Mediacoder is probably the Tablet users best friend for transcoding, but that is my opinion

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
I will check out mediacoder as well. I downloaded rock and looks like it is $9.99 or at least it won't let me install it without purchasing it. Now are you guys loading your movie files into a specific section of your tablet? Do you transfer them into Rock or another program or do they just stay under file manager?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I transcode all my files on my PC using me, then copy them to a video folder called video on the flash card. I then can play them all with the Demo Rock Player available. Just find the compatible codec that works best on your device and away you go.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I just checked the market and rock player is still free but it is now called rock player universal

Sent from my Droid using Android Tablet Forum App

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
I think maybe it just isn't my day. I downloaded the Rock player universal version but when I clicked the install button it gave me a msg stating that I had to purchase it first.....there was also a "try" button so I hit that next but the program didn't respond. Next I downloaded Mediacoder and the version that loaded was in Chinese. I searched the Mediacoder forums and found out how to change it to english and that worked fine. But then as the new english version started it gave me a message stating that mediacoder cuda is not compatible with my machine. I am running a Quad core Intel I7 920 2.66ghz processor..........not sure why it wouldn't be compatible. Thus why I say it may just not be my day. :) I may just have to retry tomorrow and see if I have better luck. Thanks for all the patience and advice so far....!!!!!!

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
This is the official link, It should not be a compatibility issue. I am using an I7 with W7-64 with no issues. MediaCoder - Downloads
Here is a link to an older version of Rock player Access point This is the older demo version

nrage23

Nov 8, 2010
The easiest convert for mp4 is Handbrake and it is free. Also you set up multiple encodes and let it run all night.

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Well apparently I'm not intelligent enough to get it or I am not doing something right..... I have tried 4 different converters some that you guys have recommended and the VLC converter as well. I changed the files to mp4 and I still can't get anything to play. When I load the files to the tablet they appear in file manager. Do you leave the files there or move them elsewhere? I tried opening them directly.... to no avail and I went into Rock player and tried to locate them but only have access to the files on the internal hard drive.
I am sure I am overlooking something simple or making a ridiculous mistake but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
If it is playing on your computer, it might just be your tablet...

Woodfiend

Nov 28, 2010
Well I seem to be making some headway at least. I figured out part of my problem..... and it was somewhat easy like I imagined it would be. In the settings in Rockplayer I had to switch the rootfolder from sdcard to sdcard2 so it would access the external sd card.
Now I can load mkv movies and watch them but only if they are less than 3.5 or so GB. When I try and load a normal one that is about 5gb it says the file is too large even though I have a 16 gb sd card. The file system still seems chaotic and not intuitive to me. still trying to convert a few and load them to see if I can get it to work in mp4 format so I can use less memory.