The lamentations of a new NC owner

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey everyone, been trolling the site for a couple days now, so I thought I should do the respectable thing and register to say hi.

I have had my NC for just over a week now and was thinking that I wanted to root it...and wouldn't you know it, my pc doesn't have an sdcard reader built in...the nearest Wallie World is nearly 40 minutes away (I live in rural Texas), so I can't justify the time and expense to pick up a $10 card reader.

Is there any way to root without having a card reader in (or hooked to) my pc?

beejaycee

Jul 25, 2010
If you have an Android phone, this might help:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=889001

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
No, don't have an android phone cause I am too cheap to buy out of contract...my upgrade comes in May, then I will be getting an Android phone, but thanks for that link.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
These are not lamentations, they're...searching for the right phrase here...the eager musings and enthusiastic anticipations of a new NC owner. Right? You can't blame me for trying!

Well, I do know what you mean about rural life...though I have 3 Walmarts within reach. Guess I have nothing to complain about.

Silly question, but how about check with a neighbor? Or (inappropriate stereotype)...are they the "militia-type" who don't welcome stranger folk on their land??? ;)

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
These are not lamentations, they're...searching for the right phrase here...the eager musings and enthusiastic anticipations of a new NC owner. Right? You can't blame me for trying!

Well, I do know what you mean about rural life...though I have 3 Walmarts within reach. Guess I have nothing to complain about.

Silly question, but how about check with a neighbor? Or (inappropriate stereotype)...are they the "militia-type" who don't welcome stranger folk on their land??? ;)

-Matt

LOL, no, they aren't militia type, but they are not 'technically inclined' either.

I guess I will just have to wait until Tuesday (my boss gets back to the office and I can 'borrow' his card reader locked in his desk!)

I just have some great time to play this weekend and wanted to take advantage of that.

**Now that I know it can be rooted, I see a hobbled device laying here on my desk**

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
What i use to do before i had a card reader is use a digital camera because most of them let you just see the sd card and you can add and delete files through your computer through that. Just an idea

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
What i use to do before i had a card reader is use a digital camera because most of them let you just see the sd card and you can add and delete files through your computer through that. Just an idea

Now that is sheer brilliance! I will try it and see if it works...will keep everyone updated.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
allright...I give up!

Here I thought I was being so suave...decided I would sacrifice the card from my cybershot camera to use to root my NC...then got the idea from probbiethe1 to use the camera as my card reader...even went so far as to load the image on the card (all successful btw)...only to realize that said card is NOT a MICROsd card! *Palm to forehead*

Now...I do have a MicroSD card here, but it is in my Samsung Impression

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@OP

Order a card reader online from newegg.com, buy.com, amazon.com, etc. and do the procedure the proper way. That's all there is to it.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I am now going to attempt this again...with my Samsung Impression!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, let's take it step by step.

- no microsd reader handy :(
- we have the suggestion above (xda-developers) to use a cell phone. It MUST BE A ROOTED PHONE. Got root?
- another suggestion to use a camera

Sorry to probbie, who made an otherwise reasonable suggestion, but my advice is DO IT WITH a microsd card reader!!!! I am on a thread at XDA (Auto-Nooter 2.12.25 (1.0.1 Only) - xda-developers) that is driving me crazy. It's over 100 pages, and most seem to be people bonking the sdcard part. The take-home message is to format the card and write the autonooter image file with a PC. Don't play with shortcuts. Uses the boss' reader and you'll be rooted before you know it!

-Matt

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Hey everyone, been trolling the site for a couple days now, so I thought I should do the respectable thing and register to say hi.

I have had my NC for just over a week now and was thinking that I wanted to root it...and wouldn't you know it, my pc doesn't have an sdcard reader built in...the nearest Wallie World is nearly 40 minutes away (I live in rural Texas), so I can't justify the time and expense to pick up a $10 card reader.

Is there any way to root without having a card reader in (or hooked to) my pc?

what stores are around you also use something like this Amazon.com: VEHO VSD-003 Muvi Mino microSD/microSDHC USB 2.0 Card Reader: Electronics (actually i have one on my keychain all the time with a 8 gb sdcard in it) you can pick those up most places i got one from a tmobile store once

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
So, if I have a bunch of new apps in my 'extras' folder, and can see the market...was I successful?

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Dude you did it??? What are you, McGyver??? Download an app and I'll high-five you!

-Matt