The new Android market sucks! (Problems with Appbrain and Fast Web Installer)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Apparently, when I updated to 1.1 pre-rooted rom, it installed a newer version of the market and now appbrain won't work.

Is there another version of the market out there. I use appbrain daily on my pc to look for apps, and push them to my NC through the fast web installer.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Ah, glad to see another Fast Web user! I'll have to think about this...I'm SURE I saw users on XDA roll back to the older market.

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
yeah I searched over there before posting this, but search terms can be fickle things.

I love fast web!

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
Use Appplanet.net. Has everything the market has and more!!! It is great. Just donated to the developer it is so good.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Use Appplanet.net. Has everything the market has and more!!! It is great. Just donated to the developer it is so good.
OK, let the pissing contest begin! ;)

Does Appplanet allow you to

- browse the website for apps,
- find one you like, and click on it,
- and 10 seconds later, it's installed on your device (totally bypassing the market)?

That's the joy and addictive pleasure of Fast Web Installer. I'd say it's "more addictive than crack" but that's such a 90's joke! :)

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you are going to change the market and roll it back to another version be careful. Definetely make sure you have a backup you can restore. You probably want the vending file for eclair as a flashable file you can install through recovery, but not sure. You can try just installing an apk but it may not work.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Also had to reinstall the forum app just now

Actually the app is pretty in unusable now...can't get out of a thread without closing down...then you have to log back in

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK, let the pissing contest begin! ;)

Does Appplanet allow you to

- browse the website for apps,
- find one you like, and click on it,
- and 10 seconds later, it's installed on your device (totally bypassing the market)?

That's the joy and addictive pleasure of Fast Web Installer. I'd say it's "more addictive than crack" but that's such a 90's joke! :)

-Matt
I think a more relevant joke might be "more addictive than rooting"

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Also had to reinstall the forum app just now

Actually the app is pretty in unusable now...can't get out of a thread without closing down...then you have to log back in

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Did you ever get the old market working? Is forum app messed in 1.1? Did you go back to rooted 1.0.1?

Sent from my Droid

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I haven't yet Steve...going to do that right now.

yeah, the forum app is messed up in 1.1 (at least for me it was) I found a workaround for that by using Tapatalk Pro and searching for our forums (it even saved my password) I may end up just using that when I get back to 1.0.1

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
yeah, the forum app is messed up in 1.1 (at least for me it was) I found a workaround for that by using Tapatalk Pro and searching for our forums (it even saved my password) I may end up just using that when I get back to 1.0.1
You know I'm hoping you'll figure this out so I don't have to..."when I get back to 1.0.1"? Does that mean you're not happy with 1.1.0? Besides the Fast Web Installer issue, I mean.

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well between Fast Web, the forum app and god knows what else, I think I am going to hold off on the 1.1 ROM until it gets released without the 'new' market...it still sucks on the NC...I didn't like using Android Market before, which is why I went out and found Appbrain.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I kinda thought by now we'd have more news about a functional, rooted 1.1--the autonooter for 1.0.1 seemed to come out within minutes of the last OTA update! This time the OTA just seems to be causing trouble for many owners.

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I kinda thought by now we'd have more news about a functional, rooted 1.1--the autonooter for 1.0.1 seemed to come out within minutes of the last OTA update! This time the OTA just seems to be causing trouble for many owners.

-Matt

Yeah, I hear ya. It is a bummer because I do like to have my equipment all updated, but I will wait...I have CWR installed, so the auto update should be held at bay.

Dang the recovery takes so stinkin long!