The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

redheadone

Dec 12, 2013
i am looking for a tablet for my daughter She is 24 but is special needs and still not responsible i want something that is not expensive but is still reasonably fast i have already bought two tablets for under $100.00 and sent them both back because they were so slow i could run around the block twice before they downloaded anything. I am coming to the conslusion that anyhting reasonably fast is going to cost me more but how much more i am on a fixed income and cannot afford an I pad or any price close Could anyone suggest a tablet under $300.00that is google certified and runs reasonably fast i want something that plays games and has lots of apps. Now I am electronic challenged so please keep this simple

franxalot

Oct 4, 2013
If this is a duplicate post, sorry-we lost power for a sec here in Maine...
I suggest the Hisense Sero 7 Pro which is a great performer sold at Wallyworld for <$150. Many high end features at a budget price. Rivals my Nexus 7 for about half the $$. Try it!! You can download free games from both Amazon App store and Google Play store.

Variant

Dec 18, 2013
Looking for a tablet for my dad to use. He doesn't really have any experience with tablets or smart phones yet, so he'll be learning from the ground up.

- Looking for at least a 10" tablet to make it as easy as possible for him to read with minimal eye strain (in his early 60's) - he's fine reading my iPad 3.
- Mostly will be used for web browsing and some email likely, Google Maps as well
- Would like to be able to find a solid physical keyboard (don't think this will be too hard with any tablet tho)
- Needs to have Wifi and Cell (4G/LTE) - dad is on the road at times and don't want him to have to muck with spotty wifi
- Budget - up to $400-500 ?

I'm a little confused on the 4G/LTE part... sounds like there are tablets out there that will connect to any cell network available at no extra cost? I had been thinking I'd need to go with a tablet from a cell carrier to ensure service.

Based mostly on the 4G/LTE need, was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 from w/ Verizon. Seems a bit dated though, but doesn't seem to be much newer available. The Google Nexus 10 2 sounds great, but have questions about whether or not it'll have decent 4G/LTE coverage (doesn't sound like it can connect to Verizon's network) and it's also not released yet of course. :)

Thoughts? Verizon also has the iPad Air as an alternative to the Android of course.

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Hey guys. I was on here a while back asking for suggestions on what tablet I should purchase for my needs. I was recommended a Toshiba Thrive. I am currently still using my Thrive and love it. A+ advice. I'm back for some more A+ advice.

My daughter's Mom is looking to purchase a tablet with taxes.

Tell us:
1) what you will be using the tablet for. -videos, camera and pictures, apps, reading, general browsing. in a nutshell nothing out of the ordinary from standard tablet usage imo.
2) how much you are willing to spend -up to 250$ but it would be nice to stay under 200. I've found one already that fits the under 200 criteria and I'll mention it below.
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be -7" and light as possible
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate -know as much as a regular tablet user
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way) -u.s.

She really likes my Thrive however it's too big, and too heavy for her. Here's some must haves.

-front and back camera.
-sd (or micro sd) slot for external storage
-prefers white

Now I've done my own research and best I've come up with is the Samsung Galaxy 3 7". However the camera mp seem pretty lousy. I don't expect amazing specs for the cameras from a tablet but they seem significantly lower than other tablet camera specs. However looking at examples of camera pics and vids from the galaxy 3 it doesn't seem bad at all. So at 169.99 I think we're almost 90% set on this one HOWEVER I wanted to make this thread and get some suggestions on every possible option before making that final decision.

Any suggestions, thoughts, feedback, etc. is appreciated as always.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I would suggest the HP Slate 7 Plus. It has better pixel density than the GALAXY Tab 3 and a 5MP rear camera. And, it retails for $149 at your local electronics provider.

g0han

Jan 17, 2014
I'm looking for a new tablet no more than $200 USD.

I will be using Studying CompSci at university, would be good just to jot notes etc and general having with me at uni.
I would like a relatively big tablet (10.1 or so), I want an HDMI port if possible and I have no need for 3G.
I would also like to root my device when I get it. I live in NZ but I am looking at buying online.

Thanks very much :D

bonesdad

Jan 25, 2014
Not sure about a decent 10.1 tablet for less than $200, but Amazon has the Asus Memo Pad FHD 10 on sale for $243 and free ship right now. A little over your budget, but it's a decent tablet for the dollar. Good luck!

I'm looking for a new tablet no more than $200 USD.

I will be using Studying CompSci at university, would be good just to jot notes etc and general having with me at uni.
I would like a relatively big tablet (10.1 or so), I want an HDMI port if possible and I have no need for 3G.
I would also like to root my device when I get it. I live in NZ but I am looking at buying online.

Thanks very much :D

Radd

Feb 8, 2014
Hello everyone :cool:,

That's my first post here and I would like to introduce myself, namely am one of the thousands of
people who stand in front of a very difficult decision these days - which tablet is best for me to buy.

The original idea behind was I wanted to buy me a portable device for e-reading, with one main
requirement on my mind - a proper handling of pdf files. Saying proper I mean proper like reading it on
your laptop, but on a smaller screen. However, after tons of online research it seems there are very few
e-readers which can at least get close to that demand, Onyx M92 being the top choice, but its too big
for me and rather pricey choice for what it offers. After a deep consideration I've decided its most likely
more reasonable to get a tablet.

I've read plenty of net rankings/reviews, but still can't decide. I am a demanding customer, but more or
less know what I need/want, however am willing to spend about 250-300 quid on the thing. OK, enough babbling.

So, here is what I need...

1. Size - something between 7 and 8,5 inch. Don't wanna 10 inch monster cause I would like to stick it in my pocket occasionally for stationary usage on the bus, airport, etc. I know that pdfs read much better on bigger screen, but you know...need to find wise compromise here.
2. Operating system - tough one. I love the quality and performance of iPad mini 2 with Retina display, but I hate IOS ! and I require a SD/micro SD cards slot to expand memory ! And don't like Apple as a brand in general. So, most likely it's gonna be something on Android (doesn't have to be the latest version though).
3. Connectivity - don't need 3G/4G. Wifi will make me happy enough ! Don't need HDMI, however it would be nice to have Bluetooth or mini USB port.
4. Performance - well, the higher the better. Who doesn't love high performance...? Can't see any hands hehe. But I'm not a game freak (prefer laptop for that). So, high enough to make all device's general features work as a dream, but not necessarily to do same with latest games.
5. Memory - built in memory ? anything in line with today's standards will be ok (8/16 GB ?). The main point here is... it MUST have expandable memory slot, for SD or micro SD cards, up to 32 GB as minimum.
6. Screen resolution - above average, 1920x1200 ? Very responsive, no lagging permitted.
7. Quality of build - close to iPads, closer the better. There's absolutely no place for any Acers and similar. It is an important criterion to me. Don't want any cheap design.
8. Weight - doesn't have to be very light, am a man.
9. Battery life - good enough for at least 8 hours of gentle use (no games, wifi off).
10. Camera - marginal importance, good enough to have a video conference over Skype.
11. Advertisements - no commercials/recommended content allowed ! (unless you can switch it off permanently).
12. I know nothing about Android, but I know want it ! Am very good with PC though, some Linux as well.

Huh, hope I didn't omit anything important. As a perfect imaginary device I would probably love a Toshiba 8 inch tablet which is iPad-like quality, runs on Android, has SD card slot and a Pearl e-ink screen feature on demand.

I can't thank you enough for your input folks !
Rad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum Rad!

I would recommend the Asus MeMO Pad HD 7.

It has 16 GB of internal storage, and has a microSD slot for up to 32 GB (will probably work with a 64 GB card too).

1280x800 display, 1 GB of RAM, good build quality, 10 hour battery life.

There are cheaper tablets with similar specs, however IMO you get what you pay for. Many of the cheaper tablets never get any newer firmware and you are stuck with what it comes with.

http://www.amazon.com/MeMOPad-HD-7-Inch-Blue-ME173X-A1-BL/dp/B00E0EY7Z6

edap

Dec 12, 2012
The Asus MeMO Pad HD 7 is a great tablet at a killer price. The only things missing for me are an HDMI port and automatic brightness.

Radd

Feb 8, 2014
Hey Frederuco, thank you for welcoming me.

Yeah, that Asus is quite reasonable suggestion in terms of value for money and specs, thank you, however I need to admit I don't trust Asus too much with anything else than PC motherboards :). And in terms of price (not sure if you've noticed) I have specified that am willing to spend 250-300 quid (British Pound), so it's nearly 492 dolars (using 0,61 exchange rate) :).

Of course I won't go for anything cheap ! I want a really good thing, that will last for years :) (well, three at least...).

Ehh, but maybe it's better to wait for some new gen devices to come later in the year, technological progress on tablets market is so fast ! But this way I won't never buy one...! :)

Greets !

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I have an Asus TF101 that is over 2.5 years old and have had no issues with it.