trouble charging tablets

Jan 10, 2011
I may be posting in the wrong place, sorry if that's so. Is anyone having problems charging your tablets? I have 2 for my kids, bought them at the same time, and we are having the hardest time getting them to charge at all.

We plug the power cords into the tablets, the little red/green lights no longer come on. Occasionally the battery indicator on the screen itself will show totally green as if fully charged, when in fact the tablet battery was just dead. As soon as the power cord is disconnected, it gives the "powering down" message, due to dead battery.

We've tried adjusting the position of the cords, thinking a loose connection, but still no luck. Both kids are fairly responsible and take very good care of the tablets, just seems odd that they should both have the same problem at the same time.

New to the tablet world here, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 10, 2011
They were Christmas gifts. No, not rooted, I was never quite that confident to root and they worked fine for what the boys wanted to use them for (movies, games, music, surfing the web). Thanks for the replies.

Apr 28, 2011
Well christmas seems too far away from a warranty, unless u got like a 2yr extended. If not then an option u could try is to factory reset them. If u really want them fixed and u dont care if u lose everything, I would do that. Or do a factory reset on 1 and if it works on 1 than do on both, if it doesnt work, then try something else

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
I saw a post in the Kyros forum here that said the stock battery could be charged 300 times. Maybe both of your kids have hit the charge limit. I'll search around again and see if I can find that post. Of course I may be thinking of another tablet, I read about quite a few.

Sent from my TnT G-Harmony using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2011
No Adelamarc, you are right. The crappy battery in the device can only be charged '300 times' according to COBY. Which I could see the limit being reached from christmas. When mine takes a dump, I am going to buy a battery offline, and replace it myself

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Well I'm glad that I remembered that correctly, I have to admit I was a bit shocked when I read that. Does the tablet have a substandard NiMH battery or something?

Apr 28, 2011
Here is the link to the thread u were probably looking at http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/12070-mid7015-7005-battery-concerns.html
Not sure on the battery specs. I kno it is a 2450mAh and 3.7v (as shown in photo in thread) You can buy a replacement battery for some $ and replace it. I think there is a link for 1 in the thread. Also u could buy some connectors (which is also talked about in the thread) and do it that way. when the battery goes bad, just get a new one and hook it in. Or u could possibly upgrade to a 500 charge battery, which would take longer to wear out.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I'm not really sure I buy that "it only charges 300 times" thing. It's too vague. Do they mean from completely empty to full? What if you never let the battery drain completely? I know these are low cost tablets but give me a break. Someone who uses it to watch movies or listen to music frequently could conceivably have to charge their battery twice a day. That would leave them with a useless tablet in just 5 months!

Apr 28, 2011
Thats why i am going to replace the battery with a better one when mine goes bad. Even though the battery isnt that great, it still can be ran off of wall power, if u were just going to use it around ur house

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Well that's not the thread I was reading, but certainly looks like some good information for the kyros users.

greenfamilia

Apr 29, 2011
I received my tablet on April 25th, yesterday - June 22, 2011 while sitting at home it was plugged in and then all of a sudden stopped charging, then the battery was completely drained within 2 hours. No matter how I maneuvered the cord it wouldn't charge.
Talked to Coby this morning and they want me to send it back to them. So disappointed!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I received my tablet on April 25th, yesterday - June 22, 2011 while sitting at home it was plugged in and then all of a sudden stopped charging, then the battery was completely drained within 2 hours. No matter how I maneuvered the cord it wouldn't charge.
Talked to Coby this morning and they want me to send it back to them. So disappointed!

Same crap just happened to me. Last night I put it away FULLY CHARGED. Today I turned it on, got the batter low message and it refuses to charge. I tried other cords, USB, and an external battery pack. Nada. I am disgusted with Coby right now.

I did a Google search and found quite a few other complaints about tablets suddenly refusing to charge. I think we will see more and more as time goes by. I got mine in January and it's outrageous to think it only lasted 5 months. I emailed Coby to complain. I doubt they'll do anything for me. If they replace it should I expect it to happen again in another 5 months?

Last edited: