Upgrading Rooted NC to 1.1

4Nails

Dec 26, 2010
Into which directory do I place the NC update file on a rooted nook? Haven't been able to use the USB since rotting but using Samba just fine.

The instructions say to place in "main" directory but does this change with the ability to get to root?

Thanks

4Nails

Dec 26, 2010
I've placed the sideload in the root directory of the SD card and turned off and back on several times but it is not automatically updating. Is there anything else I need to do?
Thanks

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
According to the instructions on B&N site, you just place the .zip file in the root of the SD card and put it to sleep and walk away and it will update it and then reboot itself. It didn't work for me the first time, so I downloaded it again and copied it over to my SD card put to sleep and in a few minutes it rebooted and all was done. I think it will probably break your root though.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I don't know if that will work with a rooted Nook.

What version are you on now 1.0.0 or 1.0.1?

There are a couple different ways to get you to a rooted 1.1

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I've placed the sideload in the root directory of the SD card and turned off and back on several times but it is not automatically updating. Is there anything else I need to do?
Thanks

You need to place it on the root of internal storage not the sd card. Once updated, you will loose root so you will need to use autonooter 3.0 to re-root. You place items used for ClockworkMod recovery on the root of your sd card, items such as customer roms, themes, keyboards, kernels. B&N update zips need to be placed on root of internal storage only.

Untitled20-1.png

4Nails

Dec 26, 2010
I'm currently at 1.01.
When I connect my NC via USB to my computer (running Win7) in my computer group I see two removable HDs; I assume one for the NC and one for the SD Card. However the upon clicking I am prompted to insert media. In the device manager it recognizes an android phone, under which I can see an "Android Composite ADB Interface.

Because I can no longer see the nook I resulted to moving files via wifi (Samba) but it seems I can only get to the SDCard.

Suggestions?

Thanks

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You can always just remove the sd card and use your card reader in your pc to move the files.

4Nails

Dec 26, 2010
i already have the sideload update on my SDCard in the main directory. so using the card reader only gets me back to the SDCard. Its my understanding that I need to get to the root of the NC.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay...I am with you now...

but you can't open the nook internals when you plug it into your computer? Try a different USB slot...I have a slot on the front of my work comp that throws an error every time I plug my nook into it.

4Nails

Dec 26, 2010
Tried various USB ports, changed USB cable, and tried another computer (also Win7). No Joy.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
you might try deleting all the entries in device manager when you plug your NC color in (there is probably 4 or 5 of them), unplug it, and plug it in again.

I, and others, had issues when I was setting up ADB on the PC...

You could also download Super Manager and use its file explorer to move the file from your sd card to the internal storage

4Nails

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I decided just to punt. I used to restore to 1.01 and will go through the normal process to move to 1.1.

Of course the move to 1.1 is to move to the latest stable root. Do you think 3.0 is running ok? What am I losing and what am I gaining?