Viewsonic 10" Tegra 2 Tablet, FAILS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Well this tablet is real after all.

Viewsonic’s Tegra 2 tablet on sale now at Sears for $379 – Android and Me

The unit is being sold by Sears and from the hardware specs should be a BEAST. Then comes the realization that Viewsonic was able to absolutely destroy what should have been a shining star by doing whatever evil voodoo they did to the Froyo build on this unit. Just a note to buyers. STAY AWAY from this unit. The hardware, while solid is under-performing due to Viewsonic pooching the Froyo build. If/when the source gets released and this gets the root treatment and the dev community can spit out a proper Vanilla Froyo build from the AOSP then it may be worth looking into. Otherwise stay away from this turd of a tablet.

short/y

Oct 13, 2010
Well this tablet is real after all.

Viewsonic’s Tegra 2 tablet on sale now at Sears for $379 – Android and Me

The unit is being sold by Sears and from the hardware specs should be a BEAST. Then comes the realization that Viewsonic was able to absolutely destroy what should have been a shining star by doing whatever evil voodoo they did to the Froyo build on this unit. Just a note to buyers. STAY AWAY from this unit. The hardware, while solid is under-performing due to Viewsonic pooching the Froyo build. If/when the source gets released and this gets the root treatment and the dev community can spit out a proper Vanilla Froyo build from the AOSP then it may be worth looking into. Otherwise stay away from this turd of a tablet.

I'd say reviews are mixed. See for yourself on the thread over on XDA: [Q] Viewsonic gtablet - xda-developers. They've got root and those that don't like the UI sideload a different launcher so it runs quite nicely. No Flash right now but people are getting around that by running Skyfire. There's a lot of work going on with this because of the relatively nice price for a capacitive Tegra tablet with sufficient RAM to run Froyo.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Oh I agree, hardware wise this thing is a BEAST. Unfortunately the damned software, read Viewsonic's abortion of a Froyo build and UI, is what really kills me. Otherwise this tablet is incredible for the price. All they need is for the source to be released and we are GOLDEN. Just a matter of time I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.