Viewsonic Tegra 2 10" GTab is ROCKIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Whatever bugs are present in CM 6.1 Beta 2 seem like nothing compared to the stock image this thing ships with. The fact that CM, which is an AOSP build is running nicely means that Gingerbread and eventually Honeycomb CM builds will run on this. So far in the Tegra 2 tablet realm this seems to be the best one due to CM / AOSP support.

h4x0rjdag

Oct 23, 2010
is there anything on that sim card slot ? i can't find anything anywhere that anyone's been able to put it to use on the gtab/. have you guys found anything ?

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
wow, that's really cool! Be sure to keep us updated on the next release!

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I can get one now for $400 bucks but not at SEARS. But with the bugs in the stock still a lot to shell out. I do want 10 since owning 8x 7" RTS time to move up into CTS.

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
wow, that's really cool! Be sure to keep us updated on the next release!

Ask and ye shall receive! Turns out that there is yet ANOTHER option to use! The vanilla ROM off of the ZPad works like a charm because this is in fact the same unit. Aside from some Chinese characters here and there it is WAY faster and much more stable that the TnT stock ROM. Also Viewsonic is supposed to be dropping an update on or around the Thanksgiving weekend for those die hard stockers!

lcizzle

Oct 24, 2010
(I typed 1 long reply and it wouldn't post. I typed a another shorter reply and it still wouldn't post. WTH
I might come back and try again or make a short version when I find time.)

1. The ZPad rom works far from a "charm". 90% of the side loaded apps FC, I have yet to get a game to run due to the non-standard SD Card mapping. No angry birds, no pocket legends, no raging thunder.

2. CM 1.6 Beta 2 it installs and works ok for a short amount of time but performance degrades really quickly unless you are always loading up clockwork mod to clear /cache.

3. Screen is horrible and gives me migraines. If you want to know what this screen is like set your lcd monitor to a non-native resolution like 1024x768 or something. That's about how this screen is.

4. ViewSonic has already posted on twitter about 10 times saying "our kernel is untouched Google kernel" which is a lie. So they will continue to violate the GPL and not release the Kernel source code. Unless someone reverse engineers some drivers it's not going to get much better than it is now.

5. NVidia dropped the ball, they put all their money into Windows CE optimization for Tegra 2. Tegra 3 and 4 are already on the way so it's already game over for Tegra 2.

6. The benchmarks. Tegra 2 gets owned in almost all benchmarks by other slower tablets on the market. Boxee Box dropped Tegra 2 because it couldn't play 720p/1080p as advertised.

Not trying to burst anyones bubble or anything but you are advised to stay far far away. Most of the people posting "its awesome" love to hack and fix stuff that doesn't work or are perfectly content paying $400 for something that does maybe one or two things okay.

If anything don't buy this product just because ViewSonic is violating the law with false advertising and violating the GPL.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
To me it looks slow going on the video could be the camera used. To much hype on this model. Price for what you get from the stock ROM is poor. Online RoM coders will do their best to work something for you who have this device. I am still waiting to see what else comes out. MediaPad is Windows 7 based but I am sure that has issues. cTouch 10" is cheaper but not sold in the USA yet. Archos 101 10.1" status on that seem iffy!

Last edited:

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
Look like CM 6.1 Beta 3 is now up and running on in and from initial reports at tegratab.com there is an overall improvement in performance and stability. Flash is working like a champ as are all the GApps (Gmail, Market, etc...). If I don't hear or see anything on the Elocity A7 or Flat Computing Flatpad A10T this looks like it will be my Tegra 2 solution.

popezaphod

Nov 19, 2010
There are a few options for replacement ROMs - CM6.1b4, TnT Lite, and Zpad (which I am running). Any of these make the G Tablet fun to use, but you have to get your hands dirty.

-=Sent from my ViewSonic G Tablet using Tapatalk=-

SuperSteve

Nov 27, 2010
There are a few options for replacement ROMs - CM6.1b4, TnT Lite, and Zpad (which I am running). Any of these make the G Tablet fun to use, but you have to get your hands dirty.

-=Sent from my ViewSonic G Tablet using Tapatalk=-

I am considering buying the ViewSonic G-Tablet and I would like to know how to change the stock ROM to one of the ROMs that you mentioned? I would also like to know where to find the ROMs? Thanks

harpua1980

Dec 6, 2010
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/michael1980123?feature=mhum#p/u/0/DvZ8TZ1S6n0[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
I have the GTab and am running CM 6.1b4 and love it. Seeing that 6.1 final was released today and it shows nVidia Harmony as a supported device expect to see it running on the GTab before the week is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.