W00Ters word of warning - check your OTA version FIRST!

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I don't do anything different now than I did on the PDN - it's just a little more visible, now. Not sure how that happened. :)
I probably won't be able to say this politely (wrt PDN owners) but...the gTablet looks like a slightly better device. ;) Can't say what other places you're getting recognized, but boy do they love you at xda. :) It's a cult following!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Early reports on Woot! are saying that the build number is 3389, OOTB. What a relief!!! Modding risk is no different than any other GTablet out there.
Units are arriving ALREADY!?!??!?! That's incredible.

What's more amazing (and worrisome) is the relief I hear in your voice. I figured we could roll back to an older firmware...did I miss something? Did you guess that the "improved" bootloader might be locked?

-Matt

droid_k

Mar 24, 2011
Hi,
I'm quite new on here.
I did completely bricked my CRUZ R101 and waiting one from woot.
I should be carefull this tiem and thanks for the notice of that.

roebeet

Oct 25, 2010
Units are arriving ALREADY!?!??!?! That's incredible.

What's more amazing (and worrisome) is the relief I hear in your voice. I figured we could roll back to an older firmware...did I miss something? Did you guess that the "improved" bootloader might be locked?

-Matt

I had thought that Amazon might have been ahead of the game and wanted a superior firmware (even if it was a UAT) onto these devices. But I was also terrified at the possibility of mass soft-brickage if they had done that and Wooters starting modding their devices without the devs being able to support that new bootloader, first.

Even though the 3389 build is inferior to 3991 UAT, it is a relief because it means the risk of bricks is lessened. Even still, there are already a few soft-bricks out there, so it still won't be a picnic. And it Viewsonic does release 3991 (or newer) I don't know what's going to happen.

Hi,
I'm quite new on here.
I did completely bricked my CRUZ R101 and waiting one from woot.
I should be carefull this tiem and thanks for the notice of that.

Yeah, those Cruz / PDN's were very easy to brick. This GTablet is a lot harder - it is possible, but it's a rarity. I only know of two or three users over at XDA who've completely bricked them.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
If anybody missed out the Woot deal, perhaps this one is good enough.
Tigerdirect (thru ebay) has the tablet for $300 with free shipping.
Viewsonic gTablet 10.1" Internet Tablet | eBay

Dave
Dave, I'm wondering...with 10,000 units sold...if we'll see a bunch of them on EBay and Amazon Marketplace (always happens after woot-offs). In this case, though, I'd expect the price to end up below woot's $285 due to increased supply in the secondary market. My bet is we'll see them on EBay for $200-$250, don'tcha think? If it happens, I'd look for it in 2-3 weeks.

-Matt