A500 4.01 ICS update happened this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nice to see all the updates rolling out. And all you had to do was wait a few more days than the very first updaters. Sounds reasonable to me. Congrats and enjoy ICS :)

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well you have a high speed connection. In the sticks I only get 1.5MB. A download size will take 45. to 50 MINUTES.

If the first 10% the actual download speed is only 11KBS it going to take while. In the process the last 66% flew.

I haven't had much opportunity to have a look but so far for the cosmetic changes it doesn't look too bad.

Last edited:

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
stroppy said:
I have placed this message in another thread...also putting it here to help salve the anxiety some are having about waiting for the ICS update...

According to the Iconia help desk people in Australia we were meant to get the update on the 16/17th of May. Well, for us folk in Melbourne (second biggest Australian city) the update program started very early on Saturday morning (May5th). Mine started coming through at 2am and the entire process was complete by 4am (I was having a sleepless night anyway so I just stayed with the tab). Observations:
-The actual download was painfully slow...a percentage point every three minutes or so. That speed wasn't because of my Wifi setup which is usually lightning fast. There were no hiccups though and the download was consistent.
-Once downloaded you are asked if you want the package to unzip and install,. This takes about 15 minutes in total, thereabouts.
-The update system tells you to go to the Play Store to update flash and the Kobo reader after the installation is complete.
-Touch wood, my unit updated flawlessly and it works very nicely. All the stuff my A200 could do is now matched by the 500. The ONLY difference (nothing major to worry about) is that you don't get the circular selection widget that the A200 has natively.

Good luck to all who are still waiting. Patience...everything will be fine.

Got 3 updates today, last one was ICS. All of them took a total of 20 mins. A lot faster than I thought it would be.

pacik254

May 8, 2012
hye..im from malaysia..i also upgrade my iconia A500..but until now..my tablet start re-starting re-starting..why??can u help me??plzz..

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try using the pin hole to reset it. You can also try unplugging it and plugging it in to see if that breaks the cycle. You might need to try a factory reset too.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
You should be getting it soon. I believe it goes by serial number. And where you are.

Just found out that my wife's A500 updated this afternoon and my daughter's was done yesterday. Order of serial #'s. So this household is complete ICS and all.

Another question is have you registered your tablet?

Last edited:

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
This may not apply to many but way back in this thread I asked if we would be able to upgrade to ICS if we were on 3.1 and someone said yes. Well, it doesn't. It looks as if it is cumulative patch like Microsoft updates. Just for giggles I applied the upgrade to 3.2 and then had two < 10Mb updates and THEN it wanted to download the update for ICS. The good news is I'm updated, rooted, using the stock Acer build with no data loss after about 700Mb of downloads. Such is life.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
This may not apply to many but way back in this thread I asked if we would be able to upgrade to ICS if we were on 3.1 and someone said yes. Well, it doesn't. It looks as if it is cumulative patch like Microsoft updates. Just for giggles I applied the upgrade to 3.2 and then had two < 10Mb updates and THEN it wanted to download the update for ICS. The good news is I'm updated, rooted, using the stock Acer build with no data loss after about 700Mb of downloads. Such is life.
Rooted you say?

Well I'm glad mine isn't. Everything works perfect. If the tablet is rooted then you wouldn't get the stock standard upgrade but some ROM (like THOR which makes the ACER think it is an ASUS).

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
All I know is that I applied the archive available on xda here Full root for A50x ICS 4.0.3[LEAK]. Simple method. - xda-developers. I don't believe it applies a custom ROM and when I view the build and image version under settings they both specify that they are from Acer. Regardless, it seems to work well.

I think that is a custom ROM because to receive the update you need to unroot your tablet - from your comments it appears you didn't.

Actually I just looked at another thread and yes you have a custom ROM.

Last edited:

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
You should be getting it soon. I believe it goes by serial number. And where you are.

Just found out that my wife's A500 updated this afternoon and my daughter's was done yesterday. Order of serial #'s. So this household is complete ICS and all.

Another question is have you registered your tablet?

Tablet is registered with Acer. I checked... Also fully updated to HC 3.2.1.

Still no update to ICS, today is 14 May. My tablet is fairly recent, purchased in March 2012, SN 116XXXX3715.

Can people who have received the upgrade please post their SN here ? I wonder how much longer I am going to wait. I am fed up with Acer and put off buying an Acer netbook for my wife, although her current Acer netbook has given good service. I will probably buy another brand and pass on Acer products in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: