A500 4.01 ICS update happened this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
There was a need to throttle back updates to avoid issues. As well as to update the check sum on it to avoid any issues updating. You woul have more anxiety if you got a rushed push on a slow incosistant connection and ended up with a corrupted install.

At first look, your tablet isn't going to look different. While with specific new apps it will perform better, and there are nice features, it not worth havign anxiety over. Breath. sip soem tea, and pamper yorself till you get it.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Icebike said:
Where did you get the Idea that APP2SD was coming in ICS? I've been posting here for months that its not part of ICS. Anyone that has it is either not ICS or they hacked it back in, because Google officially removed it (and for good reason).

The minimalist version of the acer ring is there, allowing you to get to the camera directly, or just power on. The full potential of the ring is supposed to be released as a market app RSN.

I would like to know the "good reason". Because I don't wanna download games I like because it'll take up space on my tablet. Taking it off was probly the dumbest thing they did.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I would like to know the "good reason". Because I don't wanna download games I like because it'll take up space on my tablet. Taking it off was probly the dumbest thing they did.

The simple story is that ability to offload to the SD card was causing abuses with the apps and on board storage of devices. Google chose to address this by no longer supporting the placing of apps on the SD card.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Another good reason - if an app or a widget is loaded on the SD card, and you have them active, then you for some reason remove the SD card you will have a problem. Causes major issues.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Douvie said:
Another good reason - if an app or a widget is loaded on the SD card, and you have them active, then you for some reason remove the SD card you will have a problem. Causes major issues.

I don't use Widgets, and that's not a good enough reason. U can place the actual app on ur screen n it works just fine. Also if u want to use the widget n it wont work cuz u moved it to SD, just clear the cache, uninstall n reinstall, pretty simple if u ask me. I don't think that's a good enough reason. If it was making the tablet burst into flames I could understand. But no app to SD really limits the people who can't root because of warrant or r scared to because of the fear of bricking the device. I can't have angry birds cuz of how much space it uses. And I really like that game.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
mlewis6996 said:
I don't use Widgets, and that's not a good enough reason. U can place the actual app on ur screen n it works just fine. Also if u want to use the widget n it wont work cuz u moved it to SD, just clear the cache, uninstall n reinstall, pretty simple if u ask me. I don't think that's a good enough reason. If it was making the tablet burst into flames I could understand. But no app to SD really limits the people who can't root because of warrant or r scared to because of the fear of bricking the device. I can't have angry birds cuz of how much space it uses. And I really like that game.

I also don't remove my SD card without unmounting it first. That's why that option is there. They need to give customers the choice, like an app that makes moving apps possible, or just make app to SD work. If ppl don't want it they don't need to download it.

stroppy

Apr 28, 2012
I have placed this message in another thread...also putting it here to help salve the anxiety some are having about waiting for the ICS update...

According to the Iconia help desk people in Australia we were meant to get the update on the 16/17th of May. Well, for us folk in Melbourne (second biggest Australian city) the update program started very early on Saturday morning (May5th). Mine started coming through at 2am and the entire process was complete by 4am (I was having a sleepless night anyway so I just stayed with the tab). Observations:
-The actual download was painfully slow...a percentage point every three minutes or so. That speed wasn't because of my Wifi setup which is usually lightning fast. There were no hiccups though and the download was consistent.
-Once downloaded you are asked if you want the package to unzip and install,. This takes about 15 minutes in total, thereabouts.
-The update system tells you to go to the Play Store to update flash and the Kobo reader after the installation is complete.
-Touch wood, my unit updated flawlessly and it works very nicely. All the stuff my A200 could do is now matched by the 500. The ONLY difference (nothing major to worry about) is that you don't get the circular selection widget that the A200 has natively.

Good luck to all who are still waiting. Patience...everything will be fine.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
stroppy said:
I have placed this message in another thread...also putting it here to help salve the anxiety some are having about waiting for the ICS update...

According to the Iconia help desk people in Australia we were meant to get the update on the 16/17th of May. Well, for us folk in Melbourne (second biggest Australian city) the update program started very early on Saturday morning (May5th). Mine started coming through at 2am and the entire process was complete by 4am (I was having a sleepless night anyway so I just stayed with the tab). Observations:
-The actual download was painfully slow...a percentage point every three minutes or so. That speed wasn't because of my Wifi setup which is usually lightning fast. There were no hiccups though and the download was consistent.
-Once downloaded you are asked if you want the package to unzip and install,. This takes about 15 minutes in total, thereabouts.
-The update system tells you to go to the Play Store to update flash and the Kobo reader after the installation is complete.
-Touch wood, my unit updated flawlessly and it works very nicely. All the stuff my A200 could do is now matched by the 500. The ONLY difference (nothing major to worry about) is that you don't get the circular selection widget that the A200 has natively.

Good luck to all who are still waiting. Patience...everything will be fine.

I have an a100 so it'll probly be a while. I don't care anymore. I'm gonna buy a different one some day, wont buy an acer again just because of the poor customer service. I've never seen a company care less about their customers than Acer so I'm done with them. If I had the cash I would go buy an Asus rt now n sell this. But since my hubby is on work comp n I'm just prn at a nursing home, I'm having to pick up extra shifts to cover the bills.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yeah the update is happening right now, currently at 72%. As Stroppy said it is painfully slow in the beginning with speeds of 6kbs. It has sped up and I'm getting bursts of 186kbs which is fast for my internet connection.

I was monitoring the up and downloads. There was a lot of info going up and not just coming down which is probably the reason why it was so slow initially. I'm staying up to watch the installation.

So boys and girls it is happening in this household. There's another 2 UNITS to upgrade - quite frankly, even though I'm not happy with ACER's service, I'm gonna hang out for the A700 - their products very good and quite reliable.

My opinion about other tab manufacturers is even worse than ACER's - they give the appearance of service but deliver zilch.

That is my opinion.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
You don't use widgets???
The clock happens to be a glorified widget - if you ask me.

So I find it a little surprising because one of the "plusses" of ANDROID over iOS was the fact that ANDROID has useful widgets. Widgets were introduced into iOS on the previous update.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Douvie said:
You don't use widgets???
The clock happens to be a glorified widget - if you ask me.

So I find it a little surprising because one of the "plusses" of ANDROID over iOS was the fact that ANDROID has useful widgets. Widgets were introduced into iOS on the previous update

The clock is the only one I use. The clock I use on my phone isn't moveable so its not a big deal. I want to be able to move my games n apps to the SD card. I don't use the fb widget, or any other one. It shows my page on home screen n I don't like that.

mlewis6996

May 1, 2012
Douvie said:
Yeah the update is happening right now, currently at 72%. As Stroppy said it is painfully slow in the beginning with speeds of 6kbs. It has sped up and I'm getting bursts of 186kbs which is fast for my internet connection.

I was monitoring the up and downloads. There was a lot of info going up and not just coming down which is probably the reason why it was so slow initially. I'm staying up to watch the installation.

So boys and girls it is happening in this household. There's another 2 UNITS to upgrade - quite frankly, even though I'm not happy with ACER's service, I'm gonna hang out for the A700 - their products very good and quite reliable.

My opinion about other tab manufacturers is even worse than ACER's - they give the appearance of service but deliver zilch.

That is my opinion.

All 3 updates I got took a total of 15 or 20 mins.