Anyone know anything about this one?

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Tried the boot image. Unfortunately it didn't work. I could copy it over then load up parted and see the ext4 partition, but once I try mounting it would lock up. I tried the same method with a dump I made of my reconstructed boot partition and that worked flawlessly.

Just for kicks I did another backup with cwm, then tried restoring the boot partition and it worked great. Now my boot partition is back to ext4.

As to why the first restore failed, I think it has to do with how full my boot partition was. Apparently there was a problem with the data partition at some point during use and dalvik-cache couldn't be written so the OS started to use the boot partition to write the dalvik-cache which filled up the boot partition. So when CWM made a backup, it was of an almost full partition. When restoring CWM remade the boot partition but while remaking it 5% was reserved for something, so the almost full backup would no longer fit. All of this was probably cause by me and my messing around. I know I locked up a few times trying various things in adb. So CWM is a working backup solution for 760tpc, albeit a bit tricky when boot partition is full. Even without using the backup/restore it's still useful. A second way to access the system via adb is priceless.

Anyways thanks for that image of your boot partition even though it didn't work for me :p

With a working backup/restore, I can go crazy with things I try :D

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
w00t, after playing around with SystemUI i managed to hide the signal bars and alarm clock icons from statusbar :D

$shot_000003.png
i have alarms set, and no annoying icon :p
thanks Igthorn for the links and explanation, looks like i saved you a task though :p

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
I haven't used the tablet a whole lot today, but it has been on all day without charging.

$IMG_0563-1024.jpg

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
So,

Any reports on the battery life and memory/storage?

I dunno about the battery life yet, as I usually tend to plug my tab in when I'm at home. Seems decent enough, though.

As far as the onboard memory, I think it's split up three ways(someone can tell me if I'm wrong): part dedicated to the OS, part of it is partitioned as an "external SD", and part for something else. But it IS 4gb, I think. As far as what size microSD card the tablet actually takes... I can't answer that, as the largest I currently have is 4gb. Maybe someone who has a 16 or 32 gb card can tell us what one it can take?

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
I dunno about the battery life yet, as I usually tend to plug my tab in when I'm at home. Seems decent enough, though.

As far as the onboard memory, I think it's split up three ways(someone can tell me if I'm wrong): part dedicated to the OS, part of it is partitioned as an "external SD", and part for something else. But it IS 4gb, I think. As far as what size microSD card the tablet actually takes... I can't answer that, as the largest I currently have is 4gb. Maybe someone who has a 16 or 32 gb card can tell us what one it can take?

I have a class 10 32GB in mine.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Adobe stated Flash 11x was designed to work with ICS, could be some bugs tat need to be worked out I guess.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012

allen2scott

Dec 22, 2011
My two cents...
For $130, you can't beat it. It plays games smoothly with no lag (haven't tried any intense games yet), surfs the web with Dolphin HD with no hickups. The touch screen is sensitive enough for my wifes liking but not vivid enough for me (I know it's not a kindle fire).

Cons...
Wifi takes a long time to come back to life after it sleeps. Battery life is horrible, every once in a blue moon i'll see the screen flicker black. It didn't come with a micro sd card.

Bottom line...
If you want a cheap tablet to surf the net for subjects that come up while your conversing while watching tv or play games, this is great cheap thing to have. It's pretty versitile for being so cheap. To me it's worth the money. My wife's happy with her gift which means I'm happy.

A foot note:
I've been following this thread and with the smart people here, they have found a way to make the battery life good to live with and get rid of the unneeded icons that iview overlooked. I haven't implemented them yet, but will soon. Yeah, I know, my 2 cents sucks. :p

PS. I have noticed that the screen only flickers using dolphin HD.

Last edited:

EggsTyrone

Jan 21, 2012
I have also been following this thread closely, but I have never used an Android device. I would love to give this one a try, but I would also like to implement the mods previously mentioned for battery life and appearance.

For someone who has never dealt with Android (I am completely comfortable with Windows-based environments, also some Linux experience), would I be able to implement these mods easily? Are there clear instructions available? Thanks for everyone's input!

Auztin

Jan 11, 2012
Getting rid of cell standby (battery drainer) is pretty easy, and removing the icons is just as easy, although a bit more involved.
To disable cell standby, thus increasing battery life:
  • Get a file explorer with root capabilities (i used file expert, free and no ads ^^)
  • navigate to /system/app
  • rename Phone.apk to Phone.apk.old (disables it, and lets you keep a backup just in case)
  • rename TelephonyProvider.apk to TelephonyProvider.apk.old (same as before)
  • reboot your tablet
  • to ensure cell standby isnt eating your battery life, let your tablet charge fully, then check battery usage and see if its listed (to view battery usage add a shortcut to the homescreen, settings>battery usage (its hidden in the actual settings for some reason))
To remove useless icons (Home, Volume up/down, Menu, Back, Cell signal, Alarm):
  • download View attachment 5496 and extract the apk from the zip
  • from the market download ZipSigner 2
  • put the SystemUI mod on your device somehow (using a PC and USB will work, downloading directly from tablet works)
  • using ZipSigner 2, sign the file with the key "platform" (press "Choose in/out" button, select .apk file, choose platform from pulldown under Key/Mode, press sign the file)
  • navigate to /system/app and copy SystemUI.apk to SystemUI.apk.old (this is for a backup, just in case CAUTION: renaming or deleting the file will cause an infinite loop in the device telling you "Sorry, systemui has crashed, try again")
  • copy the signed file (the one you made with ZipSigner 2) to /system/app overwriting the original (make sure you have a backup) (after overwriting, the statusbar will disappear and won't return until reboot)
  • reboot, when your tablet is done rebooting the icons should no longer clutter the statusbar
A word of caution, unless your absolutely positively sure you know what you're doing, NEVER delete a system file unless you have a backup (even then, be cautious about messing with system files)
I hope this was clear enough :)

Last edited:

Almaz

Jan 13, 2012
It's good to know that it's working well for $130. After a little bit research I ended up buying Ainol Aurora with IPS screen, 1GB of RAM, 3700mah, ICS and 8GB internal storage just for a little bit more money and better specs.