Costco Gingerbread VTAB's

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Still don't get why I would want to Root this thing, I'm happy with to HC on the VTAB! Pls 'splain why I would want to root...

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

Just if you want more control over the things you can do on your device. For example certain apps will only run if you have root access. You can also change things like the DPI to make things on the screen bigger like the old version, change the mount points for the use of the internal storage and SD card, cange wifi settings, etc.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Kemper said:
I wish the hell I knew how to make an old laptop a server, I have about 10.

Given that old laptops could have WINDOWS 2000 or XP it is pretty easy to "make an old laptop a server" if you start with WINDOWS 2000 Server.

You could also use XP Pro but then you would be limited to just one site. And there might even be a program you can use to run a Server on XP Home. BTW XP Home can run WINDOWS 2000 Server in Virtual PC 2007 as long as you also load the latest patch for VPC 2007.

But what I want to try next is to use Android for a Web Server and it looks like an Android Web Server is also going to have a one site limit and not allow very many simultanious connections.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Here are some home server suggestions Best Home Server Software. Linux can be a good choice.

I have looked into Linux before and I couldn't find any way to get an IMAP e-mail server so I passed on it but heck, I don't even run an e-mail server anymore but I'd like to try it again. But still, having an IMAP E-Mail Server is the best way to go.

Plus when you use a WINDOWS Server you can use Remote Desktop which is pretty cool but I'd also suggest locking RD down to certain IP addresses.

Still, I want to try to setup a Server on Android next and it looks like they already have FTP Servers, Web Servers and E-mail Servers available for that OS.

Oct 10, 2011
Just to clear up any confusion, there never was a Version 1.5. The last Gingerbread download only patched the root hole and just changed the build number from 1.9.56 to 1.9.57 leaving the Version number at 1.4. Since Version 2.0 (Honeycomb) I've had no issues with the apps I generally run but wouldn't mind seeing a Version 3.0 (ICS) some time in the future. Remember, Vizio announced the 10" will be deployed some time in the second half of 2012 which might not be till November or December the way their release dates seem to trend. This means our 8" will continue to be their flagship tablet and we can hopefully see more updates in the future.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just to clear up any confusion, there never was a Version 1.5. The last Gingerbread download only patched the root hole and just changed the build number from 1.9.56 to 1.9.57 leaving the Version number at 1.4. Since Version 2.0 (Honeycomb) I've had no issues with the apps I generally run but wouldn't mind seeing a Version 3.0 (ICS) some time in the future. Remember, Vizio announced the 10" will be deployed some time in the second half of 2012 which might not be till November or December the way their release dates seem to trend. This means our 8" will continue to be their flagship tablet and we can hopefully see more updates in the future.

Interesting. They must have made some sort of change to the way the update was being pushed along the way. I am on VIA 1.4, Build 1.9.56 and the update keeps telling me to update to VIA 1.5. Of course I haven't done that since I believe it will block root so I am not sure of the result. Possibly after the update I will still have VIA 1.4 show up in the info with the Build changing to 1.9.57. Possibly they changed the name of the update to VIA 1.5 which just updates the build to 1.9.57 or possibly the VIA 1.5 update includes the build change and other changes. This could explain some of the confusion.

Does anybody have or recall if they had VIA 1.5 show up in their device info at any point? If so what is the Build number that goes with the 1.5 update?

EDIT: As stated before I couldn't remember the details but a quick search has revealed that the update is in fact called VIA 1.5 but after the update the software remains at VIA 1.4 with the Build number being changed to 1.9.57. So that is why it is confusing. Vizio clearly did a poor job with the naming of the update and the changes made to the device info after the update. In that case it is actually the build number which determines root... .56 = root and .57 = no root.

Last edited:

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Since Version 2.0 (Honeycomb) I've had no issues with the apps I generally run.

Since the HC update I have not seen anybody complain about a particular app unless if it has something to do with the 9.5% of the screen space that we lost because of the on-screen buttons that were not there before, the setup for Gingerbread Adobe Flash Player or the WiFi where it will not connect at all or it will not stay connected.

More about the three above items at:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-way-undo-honeycomb-upgrade-2.html#post203266

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Ah, I see. As an experiment that makes sense.

OK I turned my HC VTAB into a web server with KWS. I have some more testing to do on it but at least I've know it works once you place an index.htm file in the home directory.

But it only works when the screen is on so I want to see if that problem is consistant with other Android devices.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
OK I turned my HC VTAB into a web server with KWS. I have some more testing to do on it but at least I've know it works once you place an index.htm file in the home directory.

But it only works when the screen is on so I want to see if that problem is consistant with other Android devices.

You might be able to find an app that lets you turn the screen "off" (maybe all the way dark) so you can set the time out to never so it doesn't sleep. Then you can plug it in so you don't run the battery down and not have to have the screen on.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
J515OP said:
You might be able to find an app that lets you turn the screen "off" (maybe all the way dark) so you can set the time out to never so it doesn't sleep. Then you can plug it in so you don't run the battery down and not have to have the screen on.

That problem might be related to the HC VTAB because it disconnects when the screen goes off despite how the "Wi-Fi disconnect policy" is set up. I'll know more when I test it on other devices including a GB VTAB.

Sent from my HC VTAB1008 using Android Tablet

EDIT: The GB VTAB does not disconect at the moment the screen goes off but it will still disconnect shortly after that so I can not use it for a Web Server either.

PLUS: I found out today that the Adobe flash player for both the HC VTAB and the GB VTAB use the exact same Adobe Flash Player by using a binary comparison, plus they have the exact same APK which is 10.3-103185029.

Last edited:

Kemper

Mar 15, 2012
I still have my Woot GB tablet, am I swear it is faster and doesn't crash. I don't need the 30 apps on the SD. Stable is what I like. I am keeping the GB. It does burn the battery quicker, but it is just as fast, as we have seen in the tests.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Costco is selling GB tablet now, get em while they are there. $189

The Costco I went to had 34 of them when I first checked on them and when I finally bought one about a week later they had 30 left.

Now if there was a way we could get rid of the following screen forever without upgrading another VTAB1008 to HC. See why I prefer GB at: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-way-undo-honeycomb-upgrade-2.html#post203266
$shot_000004.png
Click or Tap to enlarge

Note: You can easily tell that is a screen shot from a GB VTAB because you can't see the buttons taking up 9.5% of the screen.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You have to freeze the updater. After you do that no more message. The how to do that is the tricky part.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
You have to freeze the updater. After you do that no more message. The how to do that is the tricky part.

I tried everything mentioned in the thread: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/28671-stop-automatic-updates.html and the following is a screen capture of about what happened in two different programs:
$shot_000001.png

I'm taking this GB VTAB back to Costco because I can't get those messages to quit or at least not pop up so much and I can't find anybody else running my version of GB that could do anything about those messages either.

In other words, I'm damned if I take the update because I know it screws things up and I'm damned if I don't because then I have to deal with all sorts of computerized nagging.

Last edited: