(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Mike, thanks for the input. It is possible that the partitions they way they are. I have been meaning to play with the new files but haven't got around to it yet. For those with problems my first suggestion would be to try the older version of of Gapps and see if that helps. If not, once you have burned the generic-sdcard-v1.3.img you can use a disk partitioning tool make the boot directory a little bigger and see if that helps.

mikewojcik

Oct 25, 2011
I finally got it working.
Now I can get some apps.
I found the solution over at www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153422
Thanks to =X=

Basically you make a boot image with CM7 alone on an SD card and set up your wireless.
Then you power down and take out the SD card, copy gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip to the boot partition.
Then you force it into recovery mode and it will install gapps.
(along with the app store program)

So to get going:
Make a bootable microSD ( I used the generic-sdcard-v1.3.img and Win32DiskImager on a Lexar 4GB class4 microSD)
Copy update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip onto the micro SD
Put it into the nook and power up.
It will setup CM7 on your micro SD card.
Setup a wireless connection.

Shutdown your nook and take the SD card out, insert it into your computer.
Copy the gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip file to the SD card on the first partition (titled boot) without changing the file name.

Insert the uSD card back into the NOOK

Boot into "Recovery mode". to do this you
1. boot normally into Android,
2. then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears,
3. in the poweroff menu choose "reboot",
4. in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK".

The nook would reboot into recovery and install gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip.
Then it will shut down.

Start it back up and set up google and gmail accounts.
(what a pain in the neck, but worth it to get market working)
When you get that all done you will find that the market app has been installed in the apps menu.

Mike W.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So basically follow the original instructions linked in the first post ;) Initially some people were having issues with the removing of the card and then transferring Gapps over to the card in the pc which led to the revised step-by-step in the first post.

I haven't tried the process with 7.1.0 and the new Gapss but from the sound of it the new files are too big to get through the setup without choking. After I have a chance to verify I'll rewrite the instructions if necessary to match the current process.

JP

mikewojcik

Oct 25, 2011
So basically follow the original instructions linked in the first post

Not really

If you follow the instructions in step 5 in the first post you won't make it to step 11 as the nook boots to B&N instead of CM7

Putting both update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip onto a Micro SD card formatted with generic-sdcard-v1.3.img will prevent either of them to install.

Mike W.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Not really

If you follow the instructions in step 5 in the first post you won't make it to step 11 as the nook boots to B&N instead of CM7

Putting both update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip onto a Micro SD card formatted with generic-sdcard-v1.3.img will prevent either of them to install.

Mike W.

The very first line of the first post says "xda Instructions:" those are the original instructions as well as the source for the bootable image and says to boot the card before installing the GApps. If anybody has any questions they can refer directly to the source link provided. Just trying to make that clear.

The step-by-step instructions at the beginning of this thread are an alternative method provided to get around issues some people were having originally and have worked for many people since. If they are no longer working due to the size of the files I will check it out and correct as necessary. So yes, the original post link is still correct but the step-by-step may need to be update as I said in my post above.

FrugalAppMan

Nov 30, 2011
Hi,
I am having a very similar issue.
It appears that the files (update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip) are too big to expand with the partitions that the generic-sdcard-v1.3.img creates.
Yes they fit onto the sd card, but when the generic-sdcard image starts to setup it says there is not enough storage.

I don't have a solution but I see what is going on.

Mike W.

Just to confirm this, I too encountered this issue with the partion size of the generic 1.3 image. Once I was able to enlarge the boot partition, I was able to install using both the cm71 and gapps files at the same time. I used a free partition manager called easeus.
As J515OP says, if you install CM71 first, then copy the gapps over later, you should be fine as long as your SD card reader will be able to access that boot partition after the CM71 install. I found that copying files or resizing my boot partition wasn't possible with my laptops internal SD card reader. I had to use an external USB device in order to allow that type of editing. I fought with that for quite a while before trying the external reader with success.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just to confirm this, I too encountered this issue with the partion size of the generic 1.3 image. Once I was able to enlarge the boot partition, I was able to install using both the cm71 and gapps files at the same time. I used a free partition manager called easeus.
As J515OP says, if you install CM71 first, then copy the gapps over later, you should be fine as long as your SD card reader will be able to access that boot partition after the CM71 install. I found that copying files or resizing my boot partition wasn't possible with my laptops internal SD card reader. I had to use an external USB device in order to allow that type of editing. I fought with that for quite a while before trying the external reader with success.

Thanks for confirming. I believe it is the larger Gapps file that is causing the problem but hadn't narrowed down the boot partition resizing value. What did you repartition the boot partition size to in order to get it to run all the way through (it shouldn't need to be too much larger than 1.3 creates).

FrugalAppMan

Nov 30, 2011
Didn't do much trial and error. I was sick of fighting with the SD card so I put it to 150 where I was 99.9% certain it would work. However, I suspect that 125 would probably have been sufficient. Having too muich fun now with the new version to go back figure that out. ;)
Upgrading from 7.03 to 7.1 fixed almost all my market problems where the apps said they weren't compatible with my device (i.e. netflix).

cbill

Nov 11, 2011
J515:

I have followed your directions to the best of my ability; and am booting into CM 7 with my 8 GiG, clk 6, transend microSD. However, I am not sure everything has gone as it should, as I did not have the same sequence of events and opportunities you have described from step "8" through the"extra setup" access. In fact, I do not have any of the described "extra setup" items listed under "menus". My tablet just loaded and booted into CM with no opportunity to set settings. Scrolling, touch sensitivity and other things seem a little raggedy. Also response speed seems very slow at times. (Of course, I am comparing to our Xoom and Transformer. I am awaiting delivery of a Sandisk 8 GiG clk 4 Preloaded, on Tues. or Wed., and I will compare then. However, I think I will be going to straight root if things are not much improved. I wonder if updates will help.

If you have the time, please provide your thoughts and observations. Comments from others would also be appreciated.

Thanks Cbill

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi cbill. The Transend is 99% likely to be the culprit for the performance issues. It should go away when you get the Sandisk card. To adjust the settings in Extra Setup you actually have to do it yourself, it isn't part of the automated setup process. By default CM7 installs a shortcut to settings in the app launcher bar (looks like a dial icon down by the clock) but you can also access it by touching the menu soft button (three lines next to the soft home bottom across the bottom) or by going into the app drawer and then scrolling down to settings. Once in the settings menu just follow the prompts where each arrow> points to the next screen you navigate to.

Steps 8 through 28 sound like you didn't install Gapps. You need to put this file on the disk and then boot into recovery and flash Gapps to get the Google apps such as market and yuotube and get the auto setup for the google apps.

The good news is you were able to make a bootable CM7 card and boot into it. Now that you know the process you can repeat as necessary with different cards or should issues arrise and you want to start over. Good job :)

JP

Last edited:

chuanmian

Dec 5, 2011
I have a 16gb class 6 Transcend coming in the mail soon. I may try to run CM7 from the card and use my autonooter on the emmc. It just all depends on how smooth cm7 runs from the class 6 card though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have a 16gb class 6 Transcend coming in the mail soon. I may try to run CM7 from the card and use my autonooter on the emmc. It just all depends on how smooth cm7 runs from the class 6 card though.

The class of the card isn't very important when it comes to running a ROM from the card. The first post has a link with more details regarding what makes a good bootable ROM card and how to test.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I just ordered a refurbed nook color and plan to try and making the bootable sdcard. I am scared. I have a 16g scandisk class 2 from an old phone and am thinking of trying with that. thanks for the info, I will ask some questions if any arise.