(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That should work fine :) Just note that if you follow the instructions in the first post you will have to use a partition manager to increase the size of the boot partition to about 150MB or only flash the CM7 and then come back and flash the Gapps according to the source link in the first post.

JP

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
That should work fine :) Just note that if you follow the instructions in the first post you will have to use a partition manager to increase the size of the boot partition to about 150MB or only flash the CM7 and then come back and flash the Gapps according to the source link in the first post.

JP
I have no idea what that means to be perfectly honest. Maybe I should just order a card:confused:

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
1. Download generic-sdcard-v1.3 img and unzip thefile
when I try to unzip I get an error message internal error iso image
I do have it as an icon on my computer though. I am so confuse now.
Thanks for any help with my lost self

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
apparently my winzip is the problem. Now to figure out how to fix that...

eta
I updated my winzip, but now when I try to unzip it it tells me it is not a valid archive?

eta
I have deleted it and redownloaded it, but it still tells me it is not valid.
In my documents it's size is 120,488 kb, but in my downloads it is only 8,020 kb so does that mean it unzipped?
Thanks for bearing with my uncomputer/unandroid mind.

Last edited:

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011

JP
okay so I figured out that that means it is unzipped and I downloaded that, cm7 and gapps to the card.
Now I will try to figure out how to use a partition manager to increase the size of the boot partition to about 150mb. I have read this thread at lest 3 times now and the first post at least 100 times. Thanks for all of the great info.
It sucks that my nook won't be here till next week so I can't even know if I did it correctly till then.
Thanks again

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
Okay, I was able to write the root file onto my SD card, but there's only 106 MB of memory available! I followed some of the advice and downloaded Easus partition manager. the problem is that all these folks keep suggesting increasing the size of the 7th partition. In my case, the 7th partition is 11.23 gb worth of "unallocated" memory. The SIXTH partition says secure SD file and it's about 3.8 gigs...which from my recollection is the size of the root.

I attempted to grow the SD file, but was still limited to 106mb's worth of downloads.

I want to download about 4 gb worth of music and maybe 4 more gb of movies and pictures onto my sd card. Is there an easy way to do this? The rooting was easy but this memory fix is kicking my keister.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
EDIT: Maybe I misread here.

If what you are asking is how to repartition the CM7 boot disk to allow installation of CM7 and Gapps on first boot up then:

I still haven't gotten around to playing with the partitions (thus lack of instructions on what to do) but you need to change the size of the boot partition. After you burn the image to the disk you should be able to open it with a partition manager then change the size of boot to something like 150MB to be sure you have enough space.

If you are trying to increase the size of the boot partition (the only partition stock Nook sees after creating CM7 boot card) so you have more space available to the stock Nook using the SD card:

Buy a second SD card and use this for data only with stock Nook.

If you are trying to have more space available for use with CM7:

The setup of the CM7 creates 2 partitions for CM7 to use. One functions as an "internal memory" and the other as an "SD Card" to access these boot into CM7 and then connect to your computer using the USB cable. Now you can drag and drop files to either of these CM7 locations. Alternatively you can boot into CM7 and use Samba or DropBox to move the files wirelessly.

You can'y simply take out the CM7 card and insert it into your computer to load files to the CM7 partitions. Once you have created the bootable card the only partition that can be read is the boot partition. As noted this partition is small and not very usable, additionally CM7 won't see any files placed here once you boot into it so it won't do you much good anyway.

Last edited:

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
I get 7 partitions, with the last one being 11.32 gbs of "unused data". Do I use easus partition manager and "reformat" the "unused data" as FAT32? I'm loving CM7 but can't download zilcho without any memory!

My card's a sandisk 16gb card.

I had the same problem with an 8gb card I'd previously used. Got ideas?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I get 7 partitions, with the last one being 11.32 gbs of "unused data". Do I use easus partition manager and "reformat" the "unused data" as FAT32? I'm loving CM7 but can't download zilcho without any memory!

My card's a sandisk 16gb card.

I had the same problem with an 8gb card I'd previously used. Got ideas?

It is NOT unused memory. This memory is used internally by the bootable CM7 OS. If you repartition it you will change what is available to CM7. To access the remaining memory on the card you must boot into CM7 which will see all of the extra space as "internal memory" and "SD card memory".

The CM7 installation script creates the following partitions.

1) 115MB Boot (this is what is seen when you put the disk in after booting to emmc or in a pc)
2) 460MB for system
3) 975MB for data (your "internal memory") and
4) the ramiander of the space for your "SD card" when booted into the SD ROM.

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
I unzipped it using 7zip, but now do I just drag it and put it on the sd card?
I did download win32 disk imager and try to open that using the evaulate option instead of buying it. It then rezips the file and won't let me do anything else to it?

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
Sorry, but that left me more confused than before. Let me try this again.

I've got a 16 gb SD card. I wrote the CM7 file onto it using the wiki type instructions/links/etc. I used the win image program and created the files for the root. Last time I did this, it was with an 8 GB card and I could only download 106mb's worth of apps before I got the "memory full" message.

Similar complaints on similar boards yield two bits of advice: Either to root the tablet, then connect it to the computer and download the files after going through what sounds like a real PIA process,

OR

Use Easus Partition manager. However, the advice I've read is to increase the size of the 4th partition. When I run Easus, it says my card has 7 partitions! The last of them, "unallocated space" is more than 11 gb, but I can't find a way to access that memory!

I want to dowload about 8 gbs worth of music, video and pictures from my computer onto this SD card so I can watch movies and listen to music on the rooted nook color. How do I free up this space so a) my computer will recognize it on the SD and allow me to download the files and b) so that my rooted nook color will allow me to use the files?

epsato

Dec 14, 2011
Ok, to make sure I've got this:
1) Insert SD card into the nook and run it, get CM7 up and running.
2) turn off the nook, take out the SD card
3) insert SD card into computer, run easus partition manager
4) there will only be 4 partitions visible now(?), so I just widen the 4th partition as big as it can get(?)
5) close Easus, drag and drop files onto the SD card
6) remove SD card from computer, insert into nook color
7) profit

Is this correct? I'm anxious to get my rooted nook up and at 'em

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I unzipped it using 7zip, but now do I just drag it and put it on the sd card?
I did download win32 disk imager and try to open that using the evaulate option instead of buying it. It then rezips the file and won't let me do anything else to it?

Ok, once you have 7zip you unzip the generic SD image file. This should leave you with a file of the same name but .img at the end.

There should be a free versions of win32diskimager that don't require any trial option. Once this is downloaded you open the folder it is saved in and there will be several files one of which will be the actual program (.exe file). Right click on this file and then select "run as administrator" It opens up a small program that looks like this:

$Win32DiskImager.png

Click #1 to find the generic sd .img file. Click #2 to select your SD card drive letter. Click #3 to burn the image to the SD card.

For the CM7 and Gapps zip files, leave these zipped and copy and paste them on to the SD card.

Last edited: