(How To) CM7 Bootable SD

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Idontknow....it doesn' t seem like a walk on the moon this CM 7 ,JP. I keep reading about it and now from"idontthinkso-notgoingtohappen",I started thinking" itcouldbepossible". So far I know what card to use and I know how to put it in the nook and all the rest. It's the first part,all the douwnloading and zipping and unzipping and copying and burning,especially the burning drives me crazy. You know I like it "E A S Y" ! This ain't easy! And don' t let Rico come on this thread to tell me that even a caveman can do it! Well I'll keep reading......miracles can happen!
Gg

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It isn't that bad I promise. You only need 3 files. Download and save those 3 files to your PC.

Unzip and burn the generic-sdcard-v1.1.img file to the SD card using Win32Disk Imager.
Place the other 2 zip files on the SD card (update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed zip file and gapps-gb-20110307-signed zip file).
Turn off the Nook insert the SD card and power on. Wait until it is done and then the screen goes blank and power off (hold power for about 10 seconds). That is all there is to getting CM7 running on the card.

Steps 10-28 help you get setup once you are in CM7. Just follow each step in post #1 exactly and you will be on CM7 in no time. Even if you mess up just take the card out and you are back to your normal Nook. Nothing to lose :D

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Ok, let 's get dirty, A couple of question: following your link to the sd card- 1.1 img file, at the beginning of that page there is a new version 1.3. Should I use that or it is just for nightly.? Then the guy who created the sd card image installer version 1.3 ,says to put the sd card in the nook after placing the cm7 on the card but before downloading the gapps....file. He says to b/oot into the cm7 on sd card, set Wifi access and then return the card to the pc and then download the gapps...file. Should I follow his sequence? I remember a guy had a problem with wifi accesss after creating a bootable cm7 card and wandering if I can avoid such problems following such sequence. That' s all for now, it sounds already easier but still not like a walk on the moon.
Gg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good questions.

Ok, let 's get dirty, A couple of question: following your link to the sd card- 1.1 img file, at the beginning of that page there is a new version 1.3. Should I use that or it is just for nightly.?

1.3 would be for the newest nightlies (May 25, 2011 or newer). I suggest sticking with stable unless you are willing to tollerate some issues that come with nightlies. 1.2.1 should be fine.

Then the guy who created the sd card image installer version 1.3 ,says to put the sd card in the nook after placing the cm7 on the card but before downloading the gapps....file. He says to b/oot into the cm7 on sd card, set Wifi access and then return the card to the pc and then download the gapps...file. Should I follow his sequence?

I had issues with his sequence so I posted one that worked for me. Once you boot into CM7 for the first time it will format the card in a way the PC can't read it so you may have issues loading those files onto the SD card if you don't put them on first.

I remember a guy had a problem with wifi accesss after creating a bootable cm7 card and wandering if I can avoid such problems following such sequence. That's all for now, it sounds already easier but still not like a walk on the moon.
Gg

CM7 (stable, 7.0.3 encore) shouldn't cause wifi issues. I believe most of those issues are due to other factors, like people are using nightlies or overclock kernels, which have the wifi issues.

JP

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you for the answers...you see I' ve been doing my homework,reading everything until everything is digested and I feel I' m ready to go,J5150P!
Gg

Sep 24, 2010
4. Suppose I want to put music on the uSD card. Do I just find the biggest partition, and drop it there?

Since everything is technically running from the SD card it doesn't matter if you place the files on the "internal" memory or the virtual SD card. In that case yes, you probably want to use the larger of the two spaces.

How do you transfer MUSIC & VIDEO to the SD card (CM7), over WiFI (samba)? I plug my SD card (CM7) into my WinXP and it only shows one accessible partition (G:/) with the following files:

- MLO
- u-boot.bin
- uImage
- uRamdisk
- uRecImg
- uRecRam

Here is a pic of the XP Disk Manager. Does this look right? (pink highlight CM7 partitions)

$DvcMgr.jpg

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
How do you transfer MUSIC & VIDEO to the SD card (CM7), over WiFI (samba)? I plug my SD card (CM7) into my WinXP and it only shows one accessible partition (G:/) with the following files:

- MLO
- u-boot.bin
- uImage
- uRamdisk
- uRecImg
- uRecRam

Here is a pic of the XP Disk Manager. Does this look right? (pink highlight CM7 partitions)

View attachment 2690

Yes, you can use Samba or Drop Box. A bootable disk is partioned in a way that your PC can no longer read it (or actaully only sees a small partition).

Here is the How to http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-how-access-nook-color-sd-card-over-wifi.html

JP

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I was trying to locate the files I need for my " project" and following your link on the first post I see the sd card v1.3img that you told me not to use and the v1.1 but not the link to the sdcard v1.2 img that you told me to use. Can you give the link or I can use v1.1 ?
thank you JP
Gg

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was trying to locate the files I need for my " project" and following your link on the first post I see the sd card v1.3img that you told me not to use and the v1.1 but not the link to the sdcard v1.2 img that you told me to use. Can you give the link or I can use v1.1 ?
thank you JP
Gg

1.1 works just fine go for it. :D

Schnoidz

Jun 2, 2011
Idontknow....it doesn' t seem like a walk on the moon this CM 7 ,JP. I keep reading about it and now from"idontthinkso-notgoingtohappen",I started thinking" itcouldbepossible". So far I know what card to use and I know how to put it in the nook and all the rest. It's the first part,all the douwnloading and zipping and unzipping and copying and burning,especially the burning drives me crazy. You know I like it "E A S Y" ! This ain't easy! And don' t let Rico come on this thread to tell me that even a caveman can do it! Well I'll keep reading......miracles can happen!
Gg
Well... This Caveman (former cave diver) did it this evening and it worked like a charm. Bluetooth works (paired but not connected) to my laptop, my earpiece needs charging so I'll try it in the morning. Samba Wi-Fi works. I re-downloaded my apps before reading about using my Titanium backup for that.

So far everything I've tried has worked! I read and re-read JP's instructions thinking there must be some catch, but it was just as easy as he said it was.

Thanks again JP!

Update : Got my PLT 510 earpiece paired and connected (connected to phone audio) but got no sound from it. I tried it with videos and got no sound. Also ran into a video problem. Videos from HandBrake play but Xvid movies that played before don't now. The sound that comes from the is a garbled mess and the screen is black. I tested the default player and Vital Player Neon.

Last edited:

LHC_52

Jun 12, 2011
This is my first post. I've been obsessing on getting a little tablet for an upcoming trip overseas visiting in-laws. Instead of sitting in the corner smiling and nodding for a month while they all chatter in a foreign language that I don't understand well, I figured I'd get a little tablet load it up with all my woodworking and metalworking hobby stuff and sit quietly in the corner reading and viewing, only periodically looking up to acknowledge someone that says my name... Anyway, thanks to this forum and this thread in particular, I decided on a NC. My buddy is bringing one back from the US to me today and then I'll be happily skipping down rooting road.... I've got my SDcard, got the 1.1 installer burned on it, and copied over the other 2 files mentioned in the first post of this thread. We're all ready to go - just need the NC! Anyway, just wanted to say hi in this thread from a new convert, and I'll be back to post on any success/failure that happens. I am a complete novice on Android stuff and will probably have a few questions (well, maybe more than a few....) Thanks to everyone for a great resource. Looking forward to this ! Lew

Last edited:

Schnoidz

Jun 2, 2011
Welcome LHC_52. I'm a complete noob with this stuff and with the forums everything has been easy so far. I love my Nook!

LHC_52

Jun 12, 2011
ok - first question even though I do not have my new NC yet.

I am reading about these "blue dot" versions that are the newer NCs and they have partitions changed in the internal memory. What effect does this have on doing the SD card CM7 boot thing, if any.

As I understand it - and I could be wrong here as I'm brand new at all this - once you have the SDcard running with CM7 - EVERYTHING is going on on the SDcard and the internal flash memory of the nook is just sitting there unused. i.e. apps, videos, books, pdfs, etc. etc. are all on the SDcard with the android operating system as well. Is this correct?

I am not planning to buy B&N books at all - I mainly want this device to look at my collection of .pdfs, videos (once I figure out how to convert them to run on the NC) and surf the web. I suppose once I get all set up and going, I might start to think about "hey - I wonder if I can store some stuff on the internal memory" -but at the moment I'm not that interested in it.

Comments? Am I on the right track here, or do I "have" to do some hackery on the internal memory partition before I get the CM7 going on the SDcard.

Thanks !
Lew