[How To] Install CyanogenMod / Phiremod Builds to Internal Storage

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
But I use EXT4 SD card and never faced such issue (May it is a fix ?) Why don't you try if you have a spare SD Card :)

avi, tried this by using my mSD ext3/ext4 sd card, but it made no difference, still locked up doing dalvik wipe the 'normal' way.

Last edited:

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
@avi

Can you please add Change log link to OP? I know you posted it somewhere, but it's hard to find.

thanks!

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
avi, tried this by using my mSD ext3/ext4 sd card, but it made no difference, still locked up doing dalvik wipe the 'normal' way.
Well never happened like that in my case :)

@avi

Can you please add Change log link to OP? I know you posted it somewhere, but it's hard to find.

thanks!
Done !

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011

It's a quirck with the way the software wipes dalvik while still running. I have had to deal with it every time I wipe dalvik (the two workarounds you found on XDA have had off and on success for myself - so I just don't bother any more).

Honestly, I am just used to forcing my NC to power off and then back on holding "n" every time I do it now, it only takes about 20 seconds and is just routine for me now.

As far as "fixing" this, it is something the developers are aware of and working on. There have been massive changes to the environment lately, and those changes are happening sometimes more than daily, so I am willing to be patient for now. Having some quircks with CWR is not going to force me back to rooted stock though, the advantages of the newer roms far outweigh the occasional extra 20-30 seconds for me.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Honestly, I am just used to forcing my NC to power off and then back on holding "n" every time I do it now, it only takes about 20 seconds and is just routine for me now.
I agree. Even I am used to for reboot.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Well never happened like that in my case :)

Out of curiousity, did you install CWR 3.0.1.0 manually or from the zip file ... just wondering if there might be some difference in how it runs. I've wanted re-installing it, but doing it manually, except I can't get ADB to work for the NC and my desktop is awaiting a wifi card so that I can hopefully get adbWireless and other similar wifi apps to work with my desktop.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Out of curiousity, did you install CWR 3.0.1.0 manually or from the zip file ... just wondering if there might be some difference in how it runs. I've wanted re-installing it, but doing it manually, except I can't get ADB to work for the NC and my desktop is awaiting a wifi card so that I can hopefully get adbWireless and other similar wifi apps to work with my desktop.

Is your pc connected to a wireless router where you are? If so, that's all you need for adbWireless to work. You just need a pc and nc on the same network.

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Is your pc connected to a wireless router where you are? If so, that's all you need for adbWireless to work. You just need a pc and nc on the same network.
Yeah, my PC connects via wire to the AirPort Extreme router to which my NC uses. But with both Samba and adbWireless, every time I've tried to connect from my PC using the IP address listed with the app, I'll get sent to a Google search page for that IP string rather than to my NC. Maybe there are some other settings I need to tweak, but the FAQ page on that subject made it all sound "voila" simple? [But also don't want to hijack this tread by change of topic....]

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Nope, I still use EXT4 SD Card i.e. CWR 3.0.0.6 :p and ya, you have to install new CWR from zip file

cvhovey

Mar 5, 2011
Nope, I still use EXT4 SD Card i.e. CWR 3.0.0.6 ...
I made an EXT4 mSD from the link in the OP. But CWR still freezing up right and left. To backup UD nightly 3, wipe and restore CM7 nightly 19 and then load CM7 nightly 21 ... lost count of how many times I had to force power off. That becomes really time-consuming, when it shouldn't be. Right now I'm downloading Phiremod V5, but can't say I look forward to the series of forced shut-downs I'm going to have to do just to switch ROMs.

I'm not trying to imply I know anything more than anyone else (and obviously I don't....wink wink), but been using recovery since before CWR and CWM existed (anyone remember the SPR 0.99.3b days???). Although I've seen some small quirks here and there, nothing close to what I'm seeing here. Reinstalling CWR 3.0.1.0 via the zip file hasn't altered things a bit. Maybe I need to do a full wipe back to stock with clean root and install then stick with CWR 3.0.0.6 to see if that will perform better? Or maybe its just my NC since some have no issues at all with CWR.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Or maybe its just my NC since some have no issues at all with CWR.

I wouldn't say that, most of us have the same freeze up issue. There is definately something wrong with CWR. Different bulids of CWR do seem to have different rates of freezing though.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I made an EXT4 mSD from the link in the OP. But CWR still freezing up right and left. To backup UD nightly 3, wipe and restore CM7 nightly 19 and then load CM7 nightly 21 ... lost count of how many times I had to force power off. That becomes really time-consuming, when it shouldn't be. Right now I'm downloading Phiremod V5, but can't say I look forward to the series of forced shut-downs I'm going to have to do just to switch ROMs.

I'm not trying to imply I know anything more than anyone else (and obviously I don't....wink wink), but been using recovery since before CWR and CWM existed (anyone remember the SPR 0.99.3b days???). Although I've seen some small quirks here and there, nothing close to what I'm seeing here. Reinstalling CWR 3.0.1.0 via the zip file hasn't altered things a bit. Maybe I need to do a full wipe back to stock with clean root and install then stick with CWR 3.0.0.6 to see if that will perform better? Or maybe its just my NC since some have no issues at all with CWR.

The only place CWR is "expected" to freeze is when wiping dalvik. On rare occasions it will also lock at the end of a particular restore procedure or rom installation (which is usually linked to the file being installed). Otherwise it should be much smoother than what you are describing. Since you have full backups, it might be worth doing a complete wipe and restore to stock. Then reroot and immediately install new CWR on the clean build.

At the very least, I would say use the CWR removal zips and then I would recommend doing the "repartition boot to stock" as well to ensure that any old CWR is gone. Then start over.

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
Do I have to use a EXT4 bootlable SD to flash phiremod 5.1? Can't I just put the zip on my regular SD card, use Rom Manager to reboot into CWR (3.0.1.0 installed on emmc), and flash it? That's what the rom install instructions say, which look like they changed after 5.0 to not need to burn the card.

Last edited: