How to install Google Play using ADB?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Still getting the errors listed above even after chmod 6755 (these appeared to work)
Incidentally, when I do adb push /system/app /system/app it gives me an error and I have to do adb push system/app system/app
So I am not sure if I am in the correct directories, but when I type it as indicated it will start the copy. It copies two files "VoiceSearch.apk" and "Talk.apk" but when it gets to "SetupWizard.apk" I get the error: Permission Denied

I also tried to remount,rw system (without the /) which did not work either.

Would it be an idea to remove any of the files from the system/app directory that are already there before trying to push the new ones? I see that some of the files are already in the app directory. If so, are there any that I shouldn't be rm?

Thanks for all your help and sorry to be such a pain. I am hoping to get this rooted and then provide a post of what worked for other 7048 users.

all this seems like a windows problem, I guess I need to script it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Download install-gapps.zip

install-gapps.zip

extract to desktop

copy the gapps directory to /sdcard

then use adb to push busybox and install-gapps to /data/local/tmp

adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox

adb push install-gapps /data/local/tmp/install-gapps

adb shell

su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-gapps

/data/local/tmp/install-gapps

once script finishes
reboot

I just updated script to post checksum of Phonesky.apk so you can see if script work for you.

output of script should be like this

root@android:/ # /data/local/tmp/install-gapps
-rw-r--r-- root root 3996106 2012-11-17 13:15 Phonesky.apk
done

note you may see errors say rm couldn't remove something this is normal on first run of script.

the script is told to remove certain apps from /system/app if they aren't there the script will show each file that isn't there, all the files will be placed there by script so running script a second time should produce no errors, and output should be as above.

you can run a small test script before you run full script if you want just to make sure your tablet is responding to script commands.

Last edited:

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
ok so my 8048 officially has root thanks to the windows utility and root guide for the 7048. Now my next question is this: all i have is root at this point, what are the following steps to get superuser installed and have the gapps. ive seen a couple things regarding installing superuser with coby adb but i didnt see any commands if there are any to go into the process, everythings all kinda spread out. and what about busybox? im sure my tablet doesnt have it either since i just used the utility to root and thats it. and then finally the gapps that we all so come to love, i see the post above regarding google play. but im kinda new to the adb process. do i use a different adb that the coby adb or same one. i see the commands to input as their pretty much self explanitory. i guess all i need is how specifically to install superuser with coby adb. Then busybox is next? then Gapps script posted above?

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
im sorry for the questiions im new to tablets and so used to the easy process of phones. i mostly use clockwork recovery to do everything i used to before. if i need to use script id use script manager, and root explorer to do anything else with files. i can tell the tablet world is a whole other dimension i have to get used to but after this one on to my 7036 too. thanks guys for all your help it is very much appriciated as i really knew nothing about the rooting process of a tablet before last weds. im pickin it up pretty quick though or at least trying lol. thanks again guys

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
ok so my 8048 officially has root thanks to the windows utility and root guide for the 7048. Now my next question is this: all i have is root at this point, what are the following steps to get superuser installed and have the gapps. ive seen a couple things regarding installing superuser with coby adb but i didnt see any commands if there are any to go into the process, everythings all kinda spread out. and what about busybox? im sure my tablet doesnt have it either since i just used the utility to root and thats it. and then finally the gapps that we all so come to love, i see the post above regarding google play. but im kinda new to the adb process. do i use a different adb that the coby adb or same one. i see the commands to input as their pretty much self explanitory. i guess all i need is how specifically to install superuser with coby adb. Then busybox is next? then Gapps script posted above?

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../48692-coby-7048-a-post253634.html#post253634