Huawei Ideos S7 - Post-Root Tips Sharing

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Bad News about 2.2 upgrade

Huawei to sell Ideos S7 Android tablet in Singapore - Notebooks - Crave - CNET Asia

"According to Huawei, the Ideos S7 will not be updated to a newer version of the Android software, citing cost-effectiveness as a reason. Instead, the company plans to unveil a new tablet based on Android 2.2 Froyo at the Barcelona-based Mobile World Congress in February 2011. The Samsung Galaxy Tab currently runs on Froyo.

Huawei added that the Ideos S7 carried by M1 comes with a resistive touchscreen. However, units that are available from January 2011 will feature capacitive panels."

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Bad News about 2.2 upgrade
Huawei to sell Ideos S7 Android tablet in Singapore - Notebooks - Crave - CNET Asia
"According to Huawei, the Ideos S7 will not be updated to a newer version of the Android software, citing cost-effectiveness as a reason. Instead, the company plans to unveil a new tablet based on Android 2.2 Froyo at the Barcelona-based Mobile World Congress in February 2011. The Samsung Galaxy Tab currently runs on Froyo.
Huawei added that the Ideos S7 carried by M1 comes with a resistive touchscreen. However, units that are available from January 2011 will feature capacitive panels."
Well, that seems to confirm the email I got from them a few days ago. Thanks for the update. Good or bad at least I know now.
thanks pvella!

shiuvaun

Jan 1, 2011
Well tomorrow's D-Day and I am 99% sure I am taking it back. It has been a lot of fun but I just can't justify the price, since I'm not using this as a phone or on any kind of data plan. So a lot of the features are just not necessary for me now. But I am going to hate taking it back. I do have a question that I have not been able to find an answer to anywhere. (And yes, I know this is not the thread for this question.) This probably won't be a make or break feature for me but I would like to know. Anyone who uses Kindle on this device (or any Android device) do you HAVE to have all of the ebooks (.mobi for instance) in the same "Kindle" folder? Because I like to have each ebook in its own folder but Kindle doesn't seem to find the ebooks within folders that are within the "Kindle" folder. And also, has anyone successfully moved the "Kindle" folder to the external SD card?
Sorry for the "out of place question" but I would be grateful for an answer.

The answer to both of those is NO, I earlier learned that it won't see the folders and just moved the kindle folder from internal sdcard to my external sd/sdcard2 and it didn't find the books on the second sd card. Sorry ya it stinks. Love this little guy but without 2.2 and being able to download apps and updates to anything other than the 175mb internal memory (which fills up rather quickly) I may just have to take it back and wait or save up for the Galaxy! Hope this helped!

Last edited:

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
The answer to both of those is NO, I early learned that it won't see the folders and just moved the kindle folder from internal sdcard to my external sd/sdcard2 and it didn't find the books on the second sd card. Sorry ya it stinks. Love this little guy but without 2.2 and being able to download apps and updates to anything other than the 175mb internal memory (which fills up rather quickly) I may just have to take it back and wait or save up for the Galaxy! Hope this helped!
@Shiuvaun, thanks for the answer to my question. This is a really annoying "feature" with the Kindle for Android.
I really like to keep each ebook in its own separate folder with artwork, info files and notes I may have taken.
And thank you for demonstrating that there are more people out there like me who are VERY frustrated with 2.1 and the limitations on the number of apps you can install at one time.
So it seems that lack of 2.2 is a BIG DEAL and a potential "deal-breaker" for many of us. Thanks for the validation!
One last question: does you or anyone know of an ebook reader app that can read .mobi files within files, so I can make a "folder directory structure"?
Or does anyone know about an ebook reader android app for .mobi files that can see not only in the "top" folder but also, all the the folders WITHIN the top level folder. I am calling the Kindle folder as the "top-level" folder, if you catch my drift.
And from what you said about moving the "Kindle ebooks folder" to the external SD card is still not working? I've read MANY articles/posts on this "missing feature." But no fix. Which sucks because the Android APP "Kindle" seems to be the best ereader.

*But is there another ebook reader app (mobi) for the S7 that will not only scan the app's folder but also the folders within that folder? That would help me a lot.
Thank you for the quick reply.

naplesbill

Jan 3, 2011
Apps2SD can be backported with a custom kernel. This has been done on many Android devices. I hope some good devs work on this device. There is a lot of potential.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Well, that seems to confirm the email I got from them a few days ago. Thanks for the update. Good or bad at least I know now.
thanks pvella!
Not exactly, this is not "new" news but basically a repost of the third post of this thread (helps to read these threads from the beginning) that started the whole "will they or won't they" provide an update to 2.2 debate in the first place.

Claian

Dec 27, 2010
I honestly have no idea what huawei themselves are doing. However I do know that the australian version is being updated to 2.2 by Telstra's internal dev team.
I have had this confirmed by an associate who works with Telstra R&D.
The current timeline is early march.

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks Claian for that information. I know telstra said they were going to update to 2.2 when the device was released. March though seems so far away =P

I'm still learning about android, and while I come from a unix background, I've not done much in the way of embedded linux development, so there is a little bit of a learning curve.

But I'm slowly getting there.

~ivy

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Thank goodness, I am so looking forward to the update. I to was thinking March as they did say Q1.

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
I honestly have no idea what huawei themselves are doing. However I do know that the australian version is being updated to 2.2 by Telstra's internal dev team.

Thank you, Claian. It is heartening to hear that and hopefully we can update once the techies in our forum here gets hold of it.

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Not exactly, this is not "new" news but basically a repost of the third post of this thread (helps to read these threads from the beginning) that started the whole "will they or won't they" provide an update to 2.2 debate in the first place.
Really Vferrari? You've got a little bit of a "pissy streak" huh? I actually did read THE ENTIRE THREAD. I just missed that link (as a lot of people must have because it was still discussed for 16 pages and reposted!) And the post that started the debate would be THE FIRST POST! (It helps to read the whole thread).

Apps2SD can be backported with a custom kernel. This has been done on many Android devices. I hope some good devs work on this device. There is a lot of potential.
@naplesbill and @Claian that's good news and what I have been hoping to hear since it is not likely Huawei will release 2.2.
I think I am going to keep my device (still have about 20 hours to return). I've already gotten into an ebook and reading it on my ipod touch would probably lead to blindness and/or the smashing of my ipod. If either of you (or anyone) are in touch with devs I'd love to hear the status on a 2.2 port or even just an Apps2SD fix. I've been a member on XDA and a few other "Rom cooking sites" and occasionally devs post "paypal donate" links. I would definitely donate more than a few bucks to any devs that can come thorough for us on this device.
thanks all!

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Really Vferrari? You've got a little bit of a "pissy streak" huh? I actually did read THE ENTIRE THREAD. I just missed that link (as a lot of people must have because it was still discussed for 16 pages and reposted!) And the post that started the debate would be THE FIRST POST! (It helps to read the whole thread).

Ben,

Wow - did I post something wrong? Seriously, not pissy, just stating a fact. Like I originally said, dove in at my own peril and am now regretting trying to help (I had a feeling...). You reacted as if the referenced press release was confirmatory and new and I was merely pointing out that it was not new. Should have known better than to TRY TO HELP and keep the record straight. Please let me know if my post didn't help - you apparently missed the relevant original post and I get flamed for it - thanks. Good luck and hope you figure out what to do with your S7. I'm sure you will give us up to the minute updates until the clock runs out - sorry couldn't resist ;) If you do miss that 14-day deadline and change your mind, some have reported success with using the "holiday returns" loophole that gives you until 31 January as stated on your receipt.

Oh and to confirm no hard feelings, you may want to look at the thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/5117-titanium-backup-sd-does-not-work.html as the app (apparently paid and free versions) may be a "poor man's" workaround to allow temprorary loading and unloading of apps (such as e-readers) from SD card to the tab if you can get it working on the S7 (apparently YMMV). I point it out because it may not be obvious from the title what is actually discussed in the thread so you may not have thought it relevant. I'm sure you you've done this but if not also browse the stickies for some good tips and progress on hacking the S7 and the "how to root your S7" thread has some great info. Good luck.

Last edited:

bencostello

Dec 30, 2010
Ben,
Wow - did I post something wrong? Seriously, not pissy, just stating a fact. Like I originally said, dove in at my own peril and am now regretting trying to help (I had a feeling...). You reacted as if the referenced press release was confirmatory and new and I was merely pointing out that it was not new. Should have known better than to TRY TO HELP and keep the record straight. Please let me know if my post didn't help - you apparently missed the relevant original post and I get flamed for it - thanks. Good luck and hope you figure out what to do with your S7. I'm sure you will give us up to the minute updates until the clock runs out - sorry couldn't resist ;)
Oh and to confirm no hard feelings, you may want to look at the thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/5117-titanium-backup-sd-does-not-work.html as the app (apparently paid and free versions) may be a "poor man's" workaround to allow temprorary loading and unloading of apps (such as e-readers) from SD card to the tab if you can get it working on the S7 (apparently YMMV). ALso browse the stickies for some good tips and progress on hacking the S7. The "how to root your S7" thread has some great info. Good luck.
Ha! Wow, sarcasm so thick...
If you wanted to "keep the record straight" you probably should have "replied" to pvella's post as he was the one to "repost" it. Which was good for me since I had missed the "first" link. It seems you replied to mine instead due to a "disagreement" with me, possibly?
And trust me I am NOT "flaming you". No one has brought up Hitler yet so I think we're all good. No offense intended and no hurt feelings on this side.
Maybe, instead of "correcting" each other. We could have a constructive discussion STRICTLY about the device, it's lack of 2.2 and related problems and How, When and What options we will might have in the future with hacks and ROMs.
I came on this board a little pissed about Huawei's response to my email and I think some people took it personally, as if I had just told them their baby was ugly. I have an opinion about the device. You don't have to agree with me but let's keep it about the device? I don't see any reason I should "lighten up" or withhold my opinions or criticism of the device.
Anyway, thanks for the links, I have already perused those threads and stickies but I am still holding out for 2.2.
And sorry for FLOODING the thread with my spam! But I'll still try to keep you up on the minute-by-minute!

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Ha! Wow, sarcasm so thick...
If you wanted to "keep the record straight" you probably should have "replied" to pvella's post as he was the one to "repost" it. Which was good for me since I had missed the "first" link. It seems you replied to mine instead due to a "disagreement" with me, possibly?
And trust me I am NOT "flaming you". No one has brought up Hitler yet so I think we're all good. No offense intended and no hurt feelings on this side.
Maybe, instead of "correcting" each other. We could have a constructive discussion STRICTLY about the device, it's lack of 2.2 and related problems and How, When and What options we will might have in the future with hacks and ROMs.
I came on this board a little pissed about Huawei's response to my email and I think some people took it personally, as if I had just told them their baby was ugly. I have an opinion about the device. You don't have to agree with me but let's keep it about the device? I don't see any reason I should "lighten up" or withhold my opinions or criticism of the device.
Anyway, thanks for the links, I have already perused those threads and stickies but I am still holding out for 2.2.
And sorry for FLOODING the thread with my spam! But I'll still try to keep you up on the minute-by-minute!

A simple "thanks" would have sufficed. Oh and at least I now know that the Flame line is drawn at Hitler - that's good info. However, I guess anything goes though regarding labeling someone's responses "snippy" and sarcastic (strange for someone who billed himself as a "pretty reasonable guy" in our initial exchange). Now that's sarcasm with a little passive aggressiveness thrown in for good measure. :0

But seriously, regarding why I replied to your post directly (I would have quoted both posts if possible) - It was not because I "disagreed" with you - it was simply because you posted that it was confirmatory of the Huawei email and it appeared, based on your reply, that you had not read through the thread since you reacted as if it was new information (a reasonable conclusion on my part IMO). My point was that I merely wanted you to know that the subject press release was not new info and being refuted throughout the thread by others who supposedly had direct contact with Huawei developers. Timely information that you could find useful in determining whether you wanted to return the device since you, not pvella, were going to take action (i.e., returning the device) based in part on that press release info. Somehow you took this as "snippy", I guess because I wrongly concluded you had not read the thread because you missed that original post, as you later acknowledged. Its as "simple" as that. No conspiracy theories, no deep seated disagreements with your technical position, no resentment at calling my baby S7 ugly. Really, I'm still trying to figure out how you gather from any of my previous posts that I am motivated by an explicit disagreement with your position on the device or that I have posted any misinformation that led you astray (the latter I can see getting upset about).

Anyway - other than that I guess we are in violent agreement. Shame we got to this spot after what I thought was a reasonable initial exchange and discussion on the device a couple of pages back. While I don't expect you or anyone else to "lighten up" on your technical positions, it might help to "lighten up" on the negative labeling to avoid these exchanges. Later.

Last edited: