Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Hi i recived my s7 couple of days ago and love it tried a few apps and games and all work flawlessly without no lag.Now the thing is i feel as tho ive been duped as i shuld of had 8gb of internal storage but i havnt all ive got is 175mb internal memory and it shuld og come with 8gb internal memory.So is there anyway to see the internal memory truly or is this what i have?.Ive used android system app and that says the same 175mb internal memory.

and heres where i orderd from:- Huawei S7 Tablet 8GB | The Brilliant Gift Shop:

many thanks in advance

If you go to Settings/SD card & tablet storage you will find:

- Internal tablet storage: I have 91.90MB out of 175MB
- Internal SD card: I have 7.24GB out of 7.46GB
- SD card: I have 1.95GB out of 3.68GB

pactrpo

Dec 10, 2010
If you go to Settings/SD card & tablet storage you will find:

- Internal tablet storage: I have 91.90MB out of 175MB
- Internal SD card: I have 7.24GB out of 7.46GB
- SD card: I have 1.95GB out of 3.68GB

i think getting this internal sd card also depends on which unit and firmware you got.

I have the Telstra versioin and it hasn't got the internal sd card.

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Hi i recived my s7 couple of days ago and love it tried a few apps and games and all work flawlessly without no lag.Now the thing is i feel as tho ive been duped as i shuld of had 8gb of internal storage but i havnt all ive got is 175mb internal memory and it shuld og come with 8gb internal memory.So is there anyway to see the internal memory truly or is this what i have?.Ive used android system app and that says the same 175mb internal memory.

and heres where i orderd from:- Huawei S7 Tablet 8GB | The Brilliant Gift Shop:

many thanks in advance

The RAM is the memory used for running programs, and the S7 has 512MB as advertised (elsewhere) per my reading of dmesg output (2x256MB modules - minus some dedicated MB's for overhead/video RAM sharing maybe).

"Storage" refers to disk/disk-like (flash drives) devices.

The 175MB "storage" appears to be the /data partition on the NAND type flash drive that you can think of as the permanent internal disk drive (not sure how big that is, but likely around 512MB-2GB I would guess). The /data partition is mounted read-write (rw) so your programs can store data for their purposes that can survive between reboots, unlike RAM which is cleared by the booting process (or just by losing power with a full poweroff shutdown).

Other partitions on the NAND flash drive include /system, which is mounted read-only (ro) for software provided with the base Android installation - not meant to be changed by mere mortals, just hackers who root the device ;). /cache is mounted rw, and is where more transient files are "stored" (only seeing an empty recovery directory and some download apk files on mine right now).

I see some other partitions listed in the dmesg startup info, but no idea what they are used for or sizes unless I start messing with temporary mountings to see - actually, I could figure it out from the dmesg info:
Creating 7 MTD partitions on "msm_nand":
[ 2.150386] 0x000003620000-0x000003b20000 : "boot"
[ 2.156225] 0x000003b20000-0x00000db20000 : "system"
[ 2.160851] 0x00000db20000-0x00000e020000 : "recovery"
[ 2.165936] 0x00000e020000-0x00000e080000 : "splash"
[ 2.170925] 0x00000e080000-0x000014080000 : "cache"
[ 2.175745] 0x000014080000-0x00001ef80000 : "userdata"
[ 2.180940] 0x00001ef80000-0x00001f480000 : "logo"
but I am not going to bother working thru it for each partition, but a hex calculator shows the highest address, 1f480000, at the end of the "logo" partition indicates 512MB.

/sdcard is the internal SD card "disk drive", and has about 8GB, which would be the "8GB internal storage" you are referring to.

/sdcard2 is the microSD card "disk drive" that you insert/remove into/from the slot on the outside on the bottom edge by the dock connector.

You can run " adb shell df " to see what partitions your unit has mounted, total size of each, and amount of space available.

" adb shell mount " gives partition and mount point directory info.

The "Brilliant Gift Shop" is not very brilliant in their description.

HTH

Last edited:

pegaxs

Nov 27, 2010
On my S7, sold in Australia, (Telstra t-touch tab) it has no internal storage built into it.

I can insert an external SD card into the device, and that comes up as /sdcard

Many of the tutorials and whatever else i follow on here always state /sdcard2 as external, when on some devices, it isnt so.

So, just in case there are other Australians keeping an eye on this forum, thought i would let you know...

I am now keen though to pull my S7 apart and find out where this internal sdcard slot is and see if its easy enough, like some of the windows7 phone hacks where they took the phone apart and found an ordinarey micro sd card installed inside the phone... :)

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
Finally, how to connect your S7 to an Ad Hoc network, such as is produced by Barnacle. As many have discovered, it will not do this out of the box. Using this I was able to connect my S7 to my Samsung Intercept and use it as an internet access point. This requires root access, but is very easy, just make a backup of one file and copy another one in. This uses a wpa_supplecant file from a Samsung Galaxy S, but it seems to work just fine on my S7. You can still access Infrastructure networks too after doing this. The instructions are here...

Connect Samsung Galaxy S to Ad-hoc Network Multiplayer Games Share Fix

Just be sure to make a backup of your current wpa_supplecant file just in case, it is mentioned in the instructions but just briefly. I used root explorer which I already had to copy the files.

That page seems to be doing something a bit suspect. When I clicked on the link for downloading the wpa_supplicant file it sent me to a site that seems to be for games, and clicking the download link there tried to a save a WinDos exe file with whitesmoke<something> as the name - not gonna do that without more understanding of what it is trying to do (I am running on Linux, so maybe that "showed up" something?).

TIA

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
That page seems to be doing something a bit suspect. When I clicked on the link for downloading the wpa_supplicant file it sent me to a site that seems to be for games, and clicking the download link there tried to a save a WinDos exe file with whitesmoke<something> as the name - not gonna do that without more understanding of what it is trying to do (I am running on Linux, so maybe that "showed up" something?).

TIA

I don't know what they are doing, but here, I've put my copy up on a server.

http://public.dcexp.com/wpa_supplicant.txt

daz

Dec 13, 2010
ok completely loving this tablet so far. cant seem to get att 3g working, but not overly concerned with that. i was planning on using wifi tether from my backflip when im somewhere w/o wireless, but it doesnt even show up. any ideas as to why it shows up on my laptop but not on s7?

Sent from my S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

Dec 13, 2010
Some help, I got the BACK key but which one is the SEND key? Users manual does not show a send key.

Thanks,

Shifter2600

Dec 12, 2010
I am getting a 3g connection (thru T-Mobile) display on my S7 where I am right now but my speed tests are not 3g only 30-40 kbps Not 3G not even close. I just don't understand why it is showing 3g as the connection. When I move from the area I only get edge an hour away from here. Also I am getting the data thru AT&T when roaming but I haven't figured out how to get calls yet thru AT&T thru roaming. Any other T-Mobile people out there get voice when roaming? It's funny I only get the data.

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
I am getting a 3g connection (thru T-Mobile) display on my S7 where I am right now but my speed tests are not 3g only 30-40 kbps Not 3G not even close. I just don't understand why it is showing 3g as the connection. When I move from the area I only get edge an hour away from here. Also I am getting the data thru AT&T when roaming but I haven't figured out how to get calls yet thru AT&T thru roaming. Any other T-Mobile people out there get voice when roaming? It's funny I only get the data.

Right out of the box, I was able to slip in a T-Mobile "Pay As You Go" SIM and it lit up for both voice and data, of course data being Edge only due to the limitations on the radio in-built into the tablet. On the Pay As You Go plan, you can buy daily, unlimited data access for $1.49 for 24 hours at a time. This is perfect for the occasional time I will be out of WiFi coverage. And last i tested, it was downloading at 500kbps or so...not too shabby for $1.50 as needed!

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Right out of the box, I was able to slip in a T-Mobile "Pay As You Go" SIM and it lit up for both voice and data, of course data being Edge only due to the limitations on the radio in-built into the tablet. On the Pay As You Go plan, you can buy daily, unlimited data access for $1.49 for 24 hours at a time. This is perfect for the occasional time I will be out of WiFi coverage. And last i tested, it was downloading at 500kbps or so...not too shabby for $1.50 as needed!

great price; albeit for EDGE; still worth it..!!

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Love the $1.49 a day idea. Is it pre-pay? Do you get the sim for free?

Also am always around wifi BUT.... you never know....

Thanks for the idea...

Lorrendor

Dec 23, 2010
Love the $1.49 a day idea. Is it pre-pay? Do you get the sim for free?

Also am always around wifi BUT.... you never know....

Thanks for the idea...

Yes. I bought a T-Mobile prepaid cellphone at Best Buy (Samsung T369...which was probably overkill) and activated the SIM card that came inside. I activated with the IMEI from the T369 and set up the Pay As You Go account, and purchased a $30 top off card and added it.

Bammo. Instant cell phone service. I changed NO SETTINGS on the APN or anything. Then after some finaegulling due to T-Mobile's initially confusing setup, I was able to purchase a web day pass for $1.49.

Essentially, if you are currently not on a web day pass, and the SIM is inserted, all you need to do is launch your browser on the S7, with WiFi OFF (this is important as it activates the cellular modem), and you will be re-directed to an upsell website where you purchase a web day pass.

Also, the Android T-Mobile "My Account" app works, and shows you your balance AND provides a link to "Buy A Web Pass".

So, the Samsung phone includes $10 to get you started. Then you add your refill card. That total value is good for 90 days if you are on the Pay As You Go plan. Then as needed, you punch up a Web Day Pass and for $1.49 you get 24 hours of unlimited data!