Huawei S7 Useful Tweaks and Tips

lotusflower

Dec 3, 2010
This is not a reply but a question. Newly registered. Need to know if the Huawei s7 104 (unlocked) can use prepaid GSM cards overseas in the east like Thailand, India etc, to make phone calls or at least for data? I know the cards have to match the band widths. This is one of the reason I bought this (apart from being excellent in all other ways to a new tab user) and not the Samsung Galaxy tab. (Price was the other.) I know that you can use AT&T and T-Mo in the US.
Thx!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
We do have at least one user from India using a prepaid gsm card.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android Tablet Forum App

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
Well, I don't know, as they say "it worked for me"

I did the following...
* downloaded the wpa_supplicant.txt file on the computer.
* renamed it to wpa_supplicant
* Hooked the S7 to USB, mounted the card, copied it into a directory called "downloads" on the internal SD card.
* Made a directory on the card called "backups" to put stuff like the old file in.
* Unmounted the SD card
* fired up root explorer and used it's "move" function to move /system/bin/wpa_supplicant to the /SDcard/backups directory
* Make the /system/bin directory RW (this is important, it is only read only to start)
* used the "move" function in root explorer to move the file from /downloads to /system/bin
* got out of root explorer (this resets the directory to read only).
* rebooted.

Now I can connet to Ad Hoc (Barnacle) and to my infrastructure network.

U

well i follow those step again with no luck i can conected my hero to my computer but not the tablet.
download the txt file from that site delete the .txt the put in download went to root explorer move it ftom there to bin also change to rw reboot and nothing.so any advise will be apreciated.
note: can you upload that wpa_supplicant? maybe to try diferent one

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Heh, I can't really debug people's tethering setups. What program are you using on your phone? Even if Ad Hoc is not connecting, you should be able to see the Ad Hoc network in the wireless setup on the tablet, if not something is wrong with whatever you are using to tether. The wpa_supplicant file that I'm using is from that link given, so I don't know if it will do any good for me to upload it again, it is the same. Make sure you make the directory read/write, and that you really have root before copying it in. Be sure to reboot. All I can say is that it works for me with two different tether programs on my phone. Now I don't have to buy a data plan for those few times I want to take the tablet on the road.

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
im using tether for root user in my hero also download barnacle but i dont see it in the tablet

brachiopod

Nov 22, 2010
Well, even if you don't install this new wpa_supplicant file, you should be able to see your Ad Hoc network on the wireless setup on the tablet; just that you would not be able to connect to it. There must be something else going wrong.

zenkibuta

Nov 12, 2010
This is not a reply but a question. Newly registered. Need to know if the Huawei s7 104 (unlocked) can use prepaid GSM cards overseas in the east like Thailand, India etc, to make phone calls or at least for data? I know the cards have to match the band widths. This is one of the reason I bought this (apart from being excellent in all other ways to a new tab user) and not the Samsung Galaxy tab. (Price was the other.) I know that you can use AT&T and T-Mo in the US.
Thx!

Yes you can! i'm using a prepaid sim from the Philippines and it is working here in US as a roaming number. So i definitely believe it will work as well when i get back to philippines

Who Dat

Dec 2, 2010
Search the market for these two music apps they are free and stream, so no wasted storage.

Music fly
Music online

If anyone is looking for music syncing to their S7, you should try Doubletwist. I Use a zune and it finds all of my music and playlist and you can pick which to sync. Best of all is it is free and works with iTunes aswell. Also today they released Airsync as a .99 cents add on to allow WiFi syncing. I read somewhere that the price will go up to$4.99 after the first 10,000 downloads. The airsync works great but when you use it you can only see the 8gb of internal space. If you use usb then you can sync to both storage areas. I did not try the usb first to see if airsync would find both after usb syncing. Great software though.

j2k7p73

Dec 3, 2010
Thank you eddys7. I got phone and edge with a prepaid go phone $20 for the phone and sim plus another $20 for data. I get the total of 100 mb.

Game4set

Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for those PDF's dude! One thing that has been bothering me though: does the device have 512 or 256 RAM?

KitN

Dec 1, 2010
Thanks for those PDF's dude! One thing that has been bothering me though: does the device have 512 or 256 RAM?

Your welcome! :)

To answer your question, the S7 has 512 MB RAM though what is actually free is a different story.

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
Thx, i did it again and bingo. So it look like i was missing step so thx again.

Well, I don't know, as they say "it worked for me"

I did the following...
* Hooked the S7 to USB, mounted the card, copied it into a directory called "downloads" on the internal SD card.
* Made a directory on the card called "backups" to put stuff like the old file in.
* Unmounted the SD card
* fired up root explorer and used it's "move" function to move /system/bin/wpa_supplicant to the /SDcard/backups directory
* Make the /system/bin directory RW (this is important, it is only read only to start)
* used the "move" function in root explorer to move the file from /downloads to /system/bin
* rebooted.

Now I can connet to Ad Hoc (Barnacle) and to my infrastructure network.

U

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
Thx!

I'm from El Salvador and out-of-the-box I tried a local company's working on GSM 1900 and it worked just perfect...

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
I did the following...
* Unmounted the SD card
* rebooted.

I have been through these steps three times. Each time, after I reboot, I check my Wifi settings and I get a message that the Wifi connection cannot start up. I go back, copy the original file back to the /system/bin/ and wifi starts working again after a reboot, but of course, no ad-hoc. Any ideas?

Thanks!