Linux Users, Coby 7042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Commands would be similar don't use the files though, eg boot.img, recovery.img, update.zip, as these files are different that 9742 files. cwm is a recovery much like the stock recovery that comes with any android but cwm allows adb commands and many more options, than stock recovery.

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
i dont know about anyone else but with this image i get random restarts and sometimes when i turn it on it restarts twice. i cant use youe boot1 and update1 because i have a different touch screen than yours

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
i dont know about anyone else but with this image i get random restarts and sometimes when i turn it on it restarts twice. i cant use youe boot1 and update1 because i have a different touch screen than yours
I cant use update1 either as its for another touch screen. I have no problems with the rom, my guess cause I never used livesuite. if the livesuite rom works better for you use it.
I am working another rom, some else made it for another tablet I am adjusting it to run on coby. I have it on my 8042 already.

Have you returned to stock? does stock cause any problems? this rom is almost complete stock other than root and market stuff added.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
oh do you have the factory dump setup in a backup or restore image using cwm? i have a dump but how do i use it to install?
on the insructions it was saying to install this other backup then wipe the data and cache then install the update

install Feiyu 0429 via livesuit
make data/factory reset
wipe cache and dalvik cache
install Mobiz
install 0429 feiyu Elf patch

what do you reccomend?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
do not follow those directions, only follow what I wrote, you only need to flash via cwm.

while in cwm recovery you should probably do a factory reset before flashing my rom.

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
loads fast looks good but has crashed 3 times in the last 10 min. once seting up my play store account and then the other 2 using play music when it was loading my albulms from the sd card

also get error 921 every time i try to install anything from the play store

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
loads fast looks good but has crashed 3 times in the last 10 min. once seting up my play store account and then the other 2 using play music when it was loading my albulms from the sd card

also get error 921 every time i try to install anything from the play store

never heard of that error google shows this.

Google Play Store download/update errors (Error 921 and -101) | MIUIAndroid - Redefining Android

How to Fix Android Error 921 ~ ALL ABOUT REGISTRY

I am not having any errors so don't know what to tell you, i have took apart two different livesuite images, there is so much stuff that livesuite changes no way to undo what it does, unless Coby releases their own image or you return your tablet. I think you are always going to have problems cause you don't have pure Coby tablet, you have cross bread tablet due to using livesuite, i had hoped livesuite only made minor changes to tablets, but it doesn't.

Sorry didn't work out for you.

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
the 921 error i fixed by removing the account and then re adding it
im gonna try a permissions fix from cwm to see if that effects anything

lbeavisc

Jun 5, 2012
just an update, after using the permisions fix, it seems ok. was able to play music without it crashing

will let ya know if it fixed the restarting and crashing issue

yup that fixed it

Last edited:

Gumby68

Dec 26, 2011
vamp,

Thanks much for the detailed instructions and for all the help with my issues from the past.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The rom you installed isn't mine, I don't use nor recommend livesuite method. I use and recommend cwm method, each person makes their own choice.

Stucky

Jul 6, 2012
Hi Vampirefo first of all thanks for all the effort & time. Should both 7042_boot1.zip & 7042_update1.zip work for those with boot.img MD5 38e6fa6b89bcc695dd501a88b5008aaf or are we still stuck in the stock firmware? Based on your post #4 it seems that theres no solution yet but Im wondering if the images posted ending in "1" were created to address those with the 38e6fa6b89bcc695dd501a88b5008aaf checksum. Great work done!!