Linux Users, Coby 7042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

styelz

Aug 6, 2012
thanks so much androidfoo. That worked great. Can you send a dump of your nanda partition please :) I want the PendoPad image to display again at boot (currently shows Coby) using the image below.

I need this as I erased my entire table with a coby LiveSuit image.

BTW, i was unable to successfully root the pendo after I recoverd with your images. Everything is working great though.

This image here Link Removed is a working rooted image which you can use on the pendo PP4MT-7 with LiveSuit. This will wipe all nand's on your tablet so make a complete nand dump first.

After this you can install CWM Recovery using this pacakge Download Kyros-7042-Root-CWM.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

Cheers,
Styelz

root_recovery.bat
is used specific for the Kyros 7042, and will root the device as well as push CMW.
root.bat is used to just gain root and should work on other gen3 Kyros.

(Source: Kyros 7042-Windows-root/cmw recovery - Android Forums )

How did you manage to root yours ? Do you get root@android when you use ADB shell or is it just shell@android ?

Last edited by a moderator:

styelz

Aug 6, 2012
[snip]how did you get the CWM recovery image? I've rooted and installed ROM Manager, but it couldn't find a recovery image compatible with the PP4MT-7 - is there a standard image which is compatible or did you somehow make the recovery image? Is there a way to make ROM Manager identify/understand the CWM recovery image you provided is installed?

Here is a dump of my nandg with CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4:
CWM-Recovery-5.5.0.4-nandg.zip

You can boot into CWM and get root permissions via adb shell.
I haven't been able to get su working correctly with the stock nandd image yet.

To get to recovery mode manually, turn off the tablet. Then hold down both + and - volume buttons.
Then hold down the power button for 5 seconds, keep holding the volume buttons down.
After about 10 seconds the tablet turns on, you can let go of the buttons now.
It will boot into CWM Recovery mode with ADB Shell. You can then mount/dump/restore all the nands :)

Hope that helps.

androidfoo

Aug 10, 2012
Can do. Here's nanda

nanda.zip

How did you manage to root yours ? Do you get root@android when you use ADB shell or is it just shell@android ?

I rooted mine manually by using the symlink trick described here (Wolf's ultimate flash and downgrade guide (NO ROOT NEEDED) (root opportunity for .21) - xda-developers) and dumping the stock rom, adding su, then overwriting the rom on the phone.

The nandd upload I provided earlier was stock, as requested. So you won't get a root shell from it without an exploit. From the image I provided you could follow a similar process to install su, or follow the advice from the original poster (which I haven't verified works on my device)

Here is a dump of my nandg with CWM Recovery 5.5.0.4:

Thanks, but my query was how did vampirefo. obtain that recovery image? Did he try various CWM recovery images until one worked for his device, or did he build the recovery image by taking some parameters from his device and tailoring the recovery image for it?... or did he do something else? I'm interested in how I can get a CWM recovery image for other random devices that I might encounter in the future.

styelz

Aug 6, 2012
Thank you for the nanda, i required this to get both front and back cameras working again. Must have been in the boot kernel.
I am looking forward to vampirefo reply to your question also.

Regards.

Ninjafrogv3

Aug 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I brought a pendo pad (PP4MT-7) about 2 weeks back and since then been looking for away to do this. I've looked on a dozen Android related forums trying this and that and still nothing! But it seems you guys here have this down packed :p

But just a nOOBie question:

Would someone be able to maybe put Step by step instructions? I'm Properly asking a lot for a new comer/Major nOOB.

Thanks in advance,

NFv3

"Android?...Android?...YOU CANT HANDLE THE ANDROID!"

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Guys the (PP4MT-7) should have it's own thread. I don't have nor do I Support (PP4MT-7). My recoveries are for Coby 7042, 8042, 9742. If one of these recoveries work on
(PP4MT-7) that's good news. But these recoveries were never designed for your tablet.

Last edited:

androidfoo

Aug 10, 2012
Hi vampirefo.

Thanks for replying. Just to be clear, I'm not asking for any support for the PP4MT-7. I'd just like to learn how you obtained the recovery image for the coby. It doesn't seem to be listed as a supported recovery image (ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries) - did you just try one until you found one that worked? Or did you find one with a similar architecture and hoped it worked? Or.. ? I'd just like to know in the event that I buy another tablet in the future that isn't supported at the time and would like to get CWM recovery on it.

Cheers for the info.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You just compile the recovery, then split your stock recovery replace the recovery inside with the one you compile then edit the init.rc to load new recovery. You need busybox or symbolic from recovery and extract your busybox to sbin so recovery can use it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If your new tablet is similar to another tablet that already has a custom recovery by all means try it. You might get lucky.

maxavatar

Aug 13, 2012
hi, first of all thx in advance for ur time and ur work. Now the issues... i use the "windows friendly" version of this guide with the boot1.zip and update1.zip... but i have 1 major issue. My internal SDCARD is now mnt in extsd and apps cant find it (example: gallery cant open cos its says "no storage media"). So how can i swap the mnt/extsd to mnt/sdcard to get it funtional? i dont have a extsd in tablet, just the internal one. This is odd.

thx in advance and sorry for my english its not my first language

Aug 8, 2012
hi, first of all thx in advance for ur time and ur work. Now the issues... i use the "windows friendly" version of this guide with the boot1.zip and update1.zip... but i have 1 major issue. My internal SDCARD is now mnt in extsd and apps cant find it (example: gallery cant open cos its says "no storage media"). So how can i swap the mnt/extsd to mnt/sdcard to get it funtional? i dont have a extsd in tablet, just the internal one. This is odd.

Here is a quote by the developer that will help you fix your problem.

It's really simple, you need to set your filemanger to mount system as root. Then navigate to /etc/vold.fstab open as text, go down to dev_mount. Change sdcard /mnt/sdcard to extsd /mnt/extsd. Then the next dev_mount change extsd /mnt/extsd to sdcard /mnt/sdcard.

Only switch those words not entire line.

Then reboot, you are just changing mount points.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

You need to edit the vold.fstab, in the 7042 rom I switched the sdcard and internal memory.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Got the boot1 and update1 set up. It works great to access google play. I setup Opera as you recommended and it works great. I can even set it up to look like a desktop and access youtube files that otherwise wont play due to mobile access. This is a great rom !

The only minor problem is google voice search. it launches with a first time screen, but when i click search it crashes and reports voice search has stopped. Any help would be appreciated.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Got the boot1 and update1 set up. It works great to access google play. I setup Opera as you recommended and it works great. I can even set it up to look like a desktop and access youtube files that otherwise wont play due to mobile access. This is a great rom !

The only minor problem is google voice search. it launches with a first time screen, but when i click search it crashes and reports voice search has stopped. Any help would be appreciated.

for search click the magnifying glass,then on top right click 3 small squares then click settings, then uncheck first one, google search suggestions, now it should work.