Linux Users, Coby 7042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite

Stucky

Jul 6, 2012
THX. I went through the process in the #1 post but after installing the update1.zip file got stuck in the Android screen when booting. it booted fine in normal mode after installing the boot1.zip so needs to be something related with the update. Any suggestion?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am not following you,

you should install boot1.zip then factory reset via cwm then install update1.zip, make a backup first though.

Stucky

Jul 6, 2012
It seems that the update file got corrupted when downloading the first time. I just downloaded it again, followed same procedure and everything looks fine now. Thanks again and great work!!!

Stucky

Jul 6, 2012
Hi Vamp. The image and update are working great but it seems not permanently root, is there a procedure to temp root again to install apps that needs root access during installation? ie Titanium Bkp, etc.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
perm root is boot1.zip, or move su to system/bin, stock boot.img disables root on each boot, you can if you want install superuser from market also.

Last edited:

Stucky

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks. Strange, boot1 did not give me perm root, but anyway superuser is working fine, I prefer to go ahead with Superuser instead of perm root.

styelz

Aug 6, 2012
This is fanstastic, i have the Pendopad 4.0 Multitouch 7 from DODO, it was pretty useless without Google Play and had minimal options. I used the main boot.zip and update.zip files you posted, it took somme time to boot up after installing these, but my gosh.. was i suprissed when it finally booted. Nice Candy.. Thank you so much!

The only this is, it has 2 cameras, one on the front (which is working fine) but there is one on the back aswell which doesn't work. There used to be an extra camera icon near the top of the camera zoom graphic. Is there a way to get this back ? I'm not too worried about it though.

Last edited:

pimpinez

Jun 4, 2012
This is fanstastic, i have the Pendopad 4.0 Multitouch 7 from DODO, it was pretty useless without Google Play and had minimal options. I used the main boot.zip and update.zip files you posted, it took somme time to boot up after installing these, but my gosh.. was i suprissed when it finally booted. Nice Candy.. Thank you so much!

The only this is, it has 2 cameras, one on the front (which is working fine) but there is one on the back aswell which doesn't work. There used to be an extra camera icon near the top of the camera zoom graphic. Is there a way to get this back ? I'm not too worried about it though.

hmm i would try pulling your camera.apk, lib and other misc files related to the camera from your stock dump.

styelz

Aug 6, 2012
hmm i would try pulling your camera.apk, lib and other misc files related to the camera from your stock dump.

no, i managed to wipe it all before i found out I could have dumped it first. maybe someone else has a stock dump for this model?

I originally used LiveSuit with coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.img to restore it again.

It originally came with "Ice Cream Sandwich" and i'm not sure if the one you supplied is the same.

UPDATE: i checked the update.zip file and edited system/etc/camera.cfg and and changed the following from 1 to 2.

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; 1 for single camera, 2 for double camera
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
number_of_camera = 2

Now i get the camera toggle icon back in the Camera app but it fails. I think i need to change/add other parts.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You should be able to get the camera files from a coby 9742 system dump, or from one of the 9742 roms I uploade.

styelz

Aug 6, 2012
Does the 9742 have dual cameras?
you could also see if your tablet suppler has a firmware page

Yes I tried, Pendo Industries Pty Ltd. PendoPad Firmware - Downloads - Support Pendo Industries Pty Ltd.
And copied the update.img file to an SD Card and inserted it, but nothing happens.

I was able to extract the contents of the update.img with AFPTool.exe , there is a folder in there called Image with boot.img, kernel.img, misc.img, recovery.img and system.img

There are also a bunch of other files ..

HWDEF RK28xxLoader(L).bin parameter update-script
Image package-file recover-script

I can mount boot.img and recovery.img in linux ok. but not the others.
I've emailed pendo, but they haven't replied yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
styelz

androidfoo

Aug 10, 2012
I have a PendoPad PP4MT-7 purchased recently with ICS.

I've extracted my files - they're linked below. Hopefully you'll find it helpful.

nandc.zip
nandd.zip
nandg.zip

My question to vampirefo. is how did you get the CWM recovery image? I've rooted and installed ROM Manager, but it couldn't find a recovery image compatible with the PP4MT-7 - is there a standard image which is compatible or did you somehow make the recovery image? Is there a way to make ROM Manager identify/understand the CWM recovery image you provided is installed?

Either way, thanks for the work you've put into this!