MID7024 "Official" and Custom ROMs

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@steev

This is interesting; So now I am wondering if the utscript.sh mod will be possible on the 7024 OFW after all, due to possible board differences that seem to be popping up. If you are still willing to write one though, I'd be willing to test it...

I don't think there will be a problem.

flxrms's CFW based on the official firmware from Coby used a similar mod and I don't think a single person reported a problem with it.

Last edited:

Mystic

Oct 8, 2011
I don't think there will be a problem.

flxrms's CFW based on the official firmware from Coby used a similar mod and I don't think a single person reported a problem with it.

@steev

Great - I will be sure to post results afterwards! :)

What I would like to do is gather together simple methods/mods for people to use if they don't want to deviate too much from stock, but still want a better running Coby; namely a simple way to root, increase memory, overclock, and add the market, while still keeping the "original" look and feel. I had thought that once I'd gathered all this together, I could create one post with instructions and links to all of these things, and that way, people could pick and choose from them; adding what they want and leaving off what they don't want - kind of like a mini-modding menu - that would be especially helpful for newbies.

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
@steev

Great - I will be sure to post results afterwards! :)

What I would like to do is gather together simple methods/mods for people to use if they don't want to deviate too much from stock, but still want a better running Coby; namely a simple way to root, increase memory, overclock, and add the market, while still keeping the "original" look and feel. I had thought that once I'd gathered all this together, I could create one post with instructions and links to all of these things, and that way, people could pick and choose from them; adding what they want and leaving off what they don't want - kind of like a mini-modding menu - that would be especially helpful for newbies.

There's already a 7024 all you need to know thread..its already sticky so you can just add your findings there.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

Scrawler

Aug 2, 2011
Sorry, I really have no idea.

You can try reflashing without changing the utscript.sh, but I don't know if it will help at all.

My guess is that your Kyros has a different board than mine.
I'll have to pop mine open some time to see which board mine has.
I will now test without modifying the file. After I post the result.

Scrawler

Aug 2, 2011
Unfortunately it did not work again. Now do not change the file and tried to update. It's the same problem I said above. My Kyros is MID7024. I do not know why this is happening to me.

Edit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friends, do not know why, but now I cut it and then I called again. And now it's all right.

The first time I called, I was with those who commented bugs. But it was enough I restart it was back to normal.

Now I will change the script to see if it works correctly.

See ya!

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Do you know how to use adb?

Maybe this will give us some more info:
Code:
adb shell
# dmesg > info.txt
# lsmod >> info.txt
# exit
adb pull info.txt

Then share the info.txt

edit:
nevermind, saw your edit.

That's strange that it works all of the sudden.
I've flashed the ROM to my device many times and never had any problems.

Last edited:

Scrawler

Aug 2, 2011
Do you know how to use adb?

Maybe this will give us some more info:
Code:
adb shell
# dmesg > info.txt
# lsmod >> info.txt
# exit
adb pull info.txt

Then share the info.txt

edit:
nevermind, saw your edit.

That's strange that it works all of the sudden.
I've flashed the ROM to my device many times and never had any problems.

So the first time it starts, it is totally bad. Nothing works.

After rebooting, it works perfectly. Now I will change the file and update again.

There's another strange thing with my Kyros. When I do an update, it freezes at the end of the first screen. And then I hang it and change the ROM, so it only updates. After then I go back to the rom I wanted to update.

You know why?

Mystic

Oct 8, 2011
There's already a 7024 all you need to know thread..its already sticky so you can just add your findings there.

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

@flxrms

Thanks! Was already aware of that and hadn't planned to contaminate this thread with the non sequitur. Was merely saying that it would be nice to have all this great work that you (and others) have been doing, gathered together in one place, in one post. So much of the information is scattered about and through so many pages, in so many threads, that it can be difficult to find the files and glean the info.; therefore I had thought to gather it together, plus make a mini-tutorial. Once done, I certainly would have posted it in the appropriate place! My apologies if my comment had led you to believe otherwise.

Last edited:

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@Mystic:

Here is the modified utscript.sh for the MID7024 ofw.

Gives you root with the latest Superuser and a 1.5 GiB data partition for apps.
Just replace utscript.sh with the one in the zip and copy the superuser folder to the root of your sd card.

Attachments

• $mid7024_ofw_utscript.zip
    428.8 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Mystic

Oct 8, 2011
@Mystic:

Here is the modified utscript.sh for the MID7024 ofw.

Gives you root with the latest Superuser and a 1.5 GiB data partition for apps.
Just replace utscript.sh with the one in the zip and copy the superuser folder to the root of your sd card.

@steev

Thank you so much for the file and the work you put into it! Wow... I really thought this would work. Unfortunately like everything else I've tried, no joy. After dropping the modified utscript.sh into the OFW update and then running it, no change. Settings> sdcard & device storage reads as follows: Nand memory - total space 6.61GB, available space 6.52gb. Internal device storage - available space 347MB. Drat! Been trying to find some way to change this for weeks - this is driving me nuts - think I'm about ready to give up on the idea of increased memory for this stubborn thing; but thanks again for the effort on your part, steev, it was much appreciated.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
@Mystic: wild guess - you tablet doesn't have a working NAND, so the firmware is actually installed in the internal SD. That's why you could unbrick your tablet without opening it and shorting the NAND pins, it will always try to boot from either the internal or external microSD. The modification in utscript.sh affects only the part of the upgrade that is related to a system with NAND, that's why it's not working.

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@lfom:

That's what I'm thinking also

@Mystic:

The attached utscript.sh will display the nand size during installation.

On mine it says, "nand size: 128MB"
Can you try it and tell me if yours is different?

If it says, "no nand flash found" then you don't have a NAND

Attachments

• $utscript_echo_nand_size.zip
    428.8 KB · Views: 191

Scrawler

Aug 2, 2011
@steev
Now that everything is right here, I realized something. The center button is not working. I can not see the latest applications and not return with him.

Would enable it?

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
That's what I'm thinking also

This would explain why some ROMs also brick tablets: they have no support for no-NAND systems. OFW from Coby, for instance, only support boards with NAND.