MID7024 "Official" and Custom ROMs

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I had time to get a deeper look into the CFW 8024 2.3 ROM and it seems that it needs some files that are missing from 1024 OFW:
set_bootargs
u-boot.arg

The mod to make it run on 7024 involved copying those files from other firmwares that are meant to the tablet first, but the only firmware available so far for 1024 doesn't have those files. There is chance that hex-editing it would work too, but there is another problem: the code for the lcd in 1024 is smaller (lp101 in MID1024 while it's ut08gm in 8024). So it's a deal breaker? If the file can be edited, what's the correct procedure: replace the extra character with a space or remove it?

It'd be awesome to have a full Gingerbread ROM for MID1024...

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
@steeve

actually the 2 modules asix.ko and sr9700.ko are already in the modules directory of evo rom...you no longer need to add it :p

Didn't realize that.

But I patched /system/etc/insmod.sh to load the modules in /system/utmodules during boot, so those won't be loaded unless you manually do a
Code:
insmod /system/modules/asix.ko
insmod /system/modules/sr9700.ko

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
I had time to get a deeper look into the CFW 8024 2.3 ROM and it seems that it needs some files that are missing from 1024 OFW:
set_bootargs
u-boot.arg

The mod to make it run on 7024 involved copying those files from other firmwares that are meant to the tablet first, but the only firmware available so far for 1024 doesn't have those files. There is chance that hex-editing it would work too, but there is another problem: the code for the lcd in 1024 is smaller (lp101 in MID1024 while it's ut08gm in 8024). So it's a deal breaker? If the file can be edited, what's the correct procedure: replace the extra character with a space or remove it?

It'd be awesome to have a full Gingerbread ROM for MID1024...

I can actually use the Original uboot.bin of 7024 with any Gingerbread firmware.. so you dont really need those two file...you already have the uboot.bin files for your 1024 files.. We used to edit the uboot.bin before because its not available.

i'm using the original uboot.bin just to test the difference between the overclock vs stock speed.

What's needed to run gingerbread properly are the UTMODULES and the correct zImage (Kernel) files.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
@flxrms not only u-boot.bin is needed. if you take a look at utscript files, they also use set_bootargs and u-boot.arg, and those are missing in OFW 1024... :(

I don't think that using both u-boot.bin and utscript from OFW and add the other files from CFW 8024 2.3 will work, do you?

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Right now I'm trying to modify utscript.sh to partition the internal SD with fdisk:

103MB for cache
1152MB for data
129MB for rootfs
The remaining free space for sdcard

That way we don't need a bunch of MBR files for different SD card sizes.

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
@flxrms not only u-boot.bin is needed. if you take a look at utscript files, they also use set_bootargs and u-boot.arg, and those are missing in OFW 1024... :(

I don't think that using both u-boot.bin and utscript from OFW and add the other files from CFW 8024 2.3 will work, do you?

ok i forgot to add...i also use the utscript of the original firmware if im using their ofw uboot.bin..

rain

May 5, 2011
why did prox32 split his modification up three ways ?
performance ( not pretty ), half way between the two extremes, pretty - honeycomb look-a-like ( not the most efficient )
did he achieve that or anything close to that in tweaking endlessly ( there is a lot to read on the slate side )
okay ( coby modders ) = do we need to copy the three way split ? -or why bother ? =too much ?
well ?
i vote for lean and mean but that is just me ( or so i wish ).

Last edited:

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
@rain

well right now..im into lean and mean :p for today im just using the Genesis mod, yesterday i was using evo mod of steeve(also good)...but im thinking of just using the firmware from AllDro2 and using that as a base...but when i saw my workload this week..i just used the genesis rom + overclock cpu...kinda weird that after using it for few minutes the battery is still 100%...Froyo will immediately go down to 99-98% when i opened it up after 100% charging :D

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
ok i forgot to add...i also use the utscript of the original firmware if im using their ofw uboot.bin..

It's getting better... So let me try to make it clear: you use u-boot.bin and utscript from OFW in your custom firmwares, so actually set_bootargs and u-boot.arg aren't needed, rigth?

The rest of the magic is accomplished by utscript.sh, which is the file usually found in the custom firmware, correct?

So if I get CFW 8024 2.3 and replace both u-boot.bin and utscript from OFW 1024 then it should work fine in MID1024?

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
It's getting better... So let me try to make it clear: you use u-boot.bin and utscript from OFW in your custom firmwares, so actually set_bootargs and u-boot.arg aren't needed, rigth?

The rest of the magic is accomplished by utscript.sh, which is the file usually found in the custom firmware, correct?

So if I get CFW 8024 2.3 and replace both u-boot.bin and utscript from OFW 1024 then it should work fine in MID1024?

1. You must use the utscript of ofw if your going to use the ofw u-boot.bin
2. utscript.sh if for installing android dont replace it

It should work but now your capacitive lcd might not work properly, because of resistive drivers. for 7024<->8024 we can share everything except uboot.bin

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Updated

I'm sorry, if you downloaded my utscript.zip, please use this updated version instead.
The old one created misaligned partitions which may cause poor SD write performance.

This one creates MiB-aligned partitions

The default sizes:

CACHE: 100MB
DATA: 1024MB
ROOTFS: 130MB
SDCARD: Remainder

You can change them by editing the utscript.sh

Replace the utscript.sh of evo mod version 2 with this one for 1GB of application storage.
This should work with any size internal SD card.

Note: This utscript will not work on evo mod version 1 or other firmwares

Attachments

• $utscript.zip
    2 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

bnlars

Oct 7, 2011
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem and if someone could give some help it will be very apreciated: I flashed the "Slimmed down "stock" mid7024 with market " ROM in my 7024 two or three days ago and everything went fine. Then I tried to flashed the "Evolution 3.1.1 MOD for Coby Kyros" ROM and it bricked the tablet.

Here's what happened: I put the files of the Evolution in the SD card (external) just like the first ROM and started the upgrade process normally (Power + Home), the tablet turned on, showed the "Upgrade enabled" message for a second or two and then the tablet turned off and that's it. Nothing more happened since then. When I press the start button the soft keys turn on for some seconds and then goes off and thats all that happen. I've already tried to reflash the original ROM from Coby site form the external and from the internal SD but nothing changes. Someone around here knows how to get out of this or the brick is permanent? Sorry for the bad english and the long text. Again: any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011